LegacyGT.com

Dampening Adjustment Knob broke:(

Legacy2.5R

i was tightening the dampening adjustment knob on my drivers side rear GP Moto coilover...the knob snapped off. it is now indefinatly at the stiffest setting.

is there any possible way of fixing this by either using the knob or something else that can be put in there to adjust dampening? or am i screwed? (no pun)

thanks.

THANK YOU:) i take it i drill out the part of the knob that is still stuck inside then thread correct?

Well, it is not that easy. It need a link to an exploded diagram of the shock to tell you exactly what to do. I also need a picture of the broken part.

Simply put , can you totally remove a GOOD knob on the shock? If so drill a hole in the broken shaft, and get an appropriate "EASY OUT" Google easy out and you can get good info on how an easy out works. Caution___ You will need a very good drill bit or two.

Replace with a new knob/shaft.

The shaft won't unscrew on a good shock!!! Ok now we are into backyard blacksmithing. Depending on where the knob/shaft is broken:

Weld a cut off bolt to the shaft. Use the bolt head to adjust.

The shaft is too short to weld!

Now into the tricky part. If the shaft is broken pretty much flat so that you can drill a hole into it then try to drill a pilot hole into the shaft. It you can do that, then drive an easy out in and see if you can move the shaft.

If you can do that, then you can drill a slightly bigger hole in the shaft and insert a bolt after tapping the threads. A tap simply cuts threads in the pre-drilled hole.

Or you can leave the easy out in.

An important point to consider here is where the most stress is when turning the knob. It it clockwise(right hand) or counter clockwise (left hand) You can get either kind of taps. If it is hardest to loosen then use a left hand tap and bolt.

A good ,old time ,local mechanic could be of great help to you. Show him the problem. You might be suprised!

Good luck!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Ouch. I just had the same thing happen on GPMotos and I'm leaving for a race weekend tomorrow!!! I'm all the way soft which won't be good on the track.

Can the shock be taken apart? I may just try and hope I don't destroy everything.

FYI -- I talked with an Austrailian dealer (they sell HSD which made GPMoto) and they said I'd have to send them to the manufacturer to have them repaired.

A bit frustrating just before an expensive weekend of track time.

UPDATE:

I spoke to a more knowledgeable dealer in Austrailia and they said I should be able to replace the adjustment mechanism. I think all one needs to do is undo the nut where the knob fit into. He sent me the new North American HSD distributor's info (david@hsdshocks.com)--we should be able to order parts from him.

(He also said, though he wouldn't advise it, that I should be able to take off the whole bottom part of the coilover (the part with the four allen head screws) without draining the coilover's oil since the coilover is inverted.)

• 2 months later...

I don't know. But I'm taking off my GPMotos front in order to get the one that has a broken knob fixed. Did that US distributor get back with you? Is he the one that said $150 per side to fix/replace?

On a side note, I bought some used Zeals, and I have to say, seems like quite an increase in quality.

Yup,..the guys in Oregon helped me out too...replacement front struts and got me even replacement rear bottoms for the shocks with rubber bushings..

Yeah but how much did they charge? I don't like the fact that I need to purchase replacements when they advertise them as rebuildable.

Archived