LegacyGT.com

Spec.B Navi Screen - Carputer?

greenchevette

Whats up guys...

Been doing some reading around but havent been able to find a direct answer. Does it seem possible to simply use the stock touch screen in the Spec.B's as a monitor for a carputer?

I've seen people hook up cameras and seperate portable dvd players, but no mention of the carputer. I would imagine the video output would work, but I dont know is the touch screen could accept inputs and send that to the pc.

Any insight??

DAN

Whats up guys...

Been doing some reading around but havent been able to find a direct answer. Does it seem possible to simply use the stock touch screen in the Spec.B's as a monitor for a carputer?

I've seen people hook up cameras and seperate portable dvd players, but no mention of the carputer. I would imagine the video output would work, but I dont know is the touch screen could accept inputs and send that to the pc.

Any insight??

DAN

At best you'll be able to send a composite video input to the OEM screen. The resolution will suck a$$ for a PC. Snowball's chance in hell you'll get the OEM touch screen outputs to map to anything. If you have unlimited time and skills, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, its probably a doomed project from the begining.

I followed a thread on MP3car.com about a guy who hack one of the original kenwood double dine touch screen headunits to accept an RGB imput and utilize the touchscnree overlay for his own use. He did it, and I believe it cost him his marriage...:lol:

ignore him, he'll go away.

Dont have the SpecB yet...should be picking it up Saturday!

Are there any better options to put a nice functional touch screen for a carputer to replace the OEM one?

Not really a huge deal of the carputer doesnt pan out, cant complain about having the 6 disk mp3 headunit. Unfortunately i've just heard the OEM navigation is sub par, so i was hoping to utilize one in a carputer, plus the infinite mp3's, and call me a nerd...but i think it'd be cool to have a wireless usb controller and play some old school Nintendo emulators in the car :dm:

Dont have the SpecB yet...should be picking it up Saturday!

Are there any better options to put a nice functional touch screen for a carputer to replace the OEM one?

Not really a huge deal of the carputer doesnt pan out, cant complain about having the 6 disk mp3 headunit. Unfortunately i've just heard the OEM navigation is sub par, so i was hoping to utilize one in a carputer, plus the infinite mp3's, and call me a nerd...but i think it'd be cool to have a wireless usb controller and play some old school Nintendo emulators in the car :dm:

The OEM Nav is just fine except the lockout safety feature seems to lockout a little too much while the car is in motion. Most of the criticisms on this site come from people who either don't have the OEM Nav. or those who haven't read the manual. However just like all electronic gadgets, improvements will be made to all navigation systems so eventually I'll be looking to upgrade the processer in a couple or three years. The touch screen works very well and brightness is sufficient to work even in direct sunlight (as long as the screen is clean).

Has anyone replaced the OEM touchscreen unit with an aftermarket one from mp3car? Would something like this bolt right up? That would allow for the carpc no problem...

Dude, the entire Car PC thread is just about that. Replacing the housing betwene the vents (be that cubby be that screen) with an aftermarket touchscreen monitor.

There is one other thread in here about a guy who hacked up his HVAC front plate and installed a SECOND screen in there, while keeping the OEM navi and features in place...on the OEM screen.

Search Button is thy friend.

Has anyone replaced the OEM touchscreen unit with an aftermarket one from mp3car? Would something like this bolt right up? That would allow for the carpc no problem...

again, a tricky project. The screen also has buttons at the bottom, part of the same PCB. My gut tells me, although you have interest in such a project, because your are not coming across in more of a, "when my SpecB show up next week, I'm tearing out the screen and swaping in one of these" type approach, you don't have the skills to complete it. Neither do I.

If you're looking to go aftermarket NAV it will most problably be more cost effective, and time efficient, to ditch the OEM nav system altogether. One suggestion would be to swap with a non-NAV LGT owner to recoup some money to put towards the new hardware. Its hard to say what can and can't be done, but surely there's a fine line between all or nothing when it comes to making changes.

The OEM Nav is just fine except the lockout safety feature seems to lockout a little too much while the car is in motion. Most of the criticisms on this site come from people who either don't have the OEM Nav. or those who haven't read the manual. .

Well, I think it's sub-par. While my qualifications to make that statement are not subject for arguement, my opinion is. Regardless of whether you feel the OEM system is adequate, sufficient, or what have you, other's experience it in an entirely different way and are not necessarily wrong because you say so.

^ Do you have an OEM Nav? I'm assuming that you do with your "I'm sport sharp" title leading me to thnk that you have an 07 Spec. Any system can be made better but the OEM is a great tool to have in the Spec.B. I wouldn't have believed that I would use it as much as I do.

If you have comments or suggestions for how to improve or add additional features you'd like to have, call 1-800-Subaru3. They welcomed my comments today because they rarely ever get people giving them any feedback. The unit can be reprogramed but SOA won't get to work on a new disk if they never hear from owners.

Vimy just go drive your Spec B - t3h faster3st GT of them all.

The OEM navi in Subaru is neat...for its intended purpose, it does great...but it falls short on many counts and can't hold a candle next to more customizable aftermarket systems.

^ Still awaiting confirmation on my assumption.

You need to read around the forum a little more...outside of the Political Forums and the Spec B vs. the rest threads. That way, you'd have revised, more realistic assumptions.

Well, I think it's sub-par. While my qualifications to make that statement are not subject for arguement, my opinion is. Regardless of whether you feel the OEM system is adequate, sufficient, or what have you, other's experience it in an entirely different way and are not necessarily wrong because you say so.

I think you got it backwards. I just checked out your profile and you have what looks to be a nice looking 06 LGT. Now, if I'm not mistaken and if I am I apologise in advance, 06 LGTs have no OEM Nav. system. If that is indeed the case, then your qualifications for making comment about the OEM Nav. would be open to dispute.

Mostly what I see on this site are people making comments on OEM system who have no experience with it because they don't even own one. These non-owners then sometimes go on to tell nubes that the OEM nav. sux based upon nothing more than nothing. There is one member/owner I have come across who has a legitimate gripe because a feature he came to rely upon in another system(s) isn't present on the OEM unit although the information he seeks is present but just in another format. Oddly enough, one gripe from that owner seems to feed a strange resentment prevalent in these forums.

I own an OEM system, and find it to be an excellent addition to my driving experience that I use constantly and to good effect.

You need to read around the forum a little more...outside of the Political Forums and the Spec B vs. the rest threads. That way, you'd have revised, more realistic assumptions.

Do you think that I don't keep an eye out for OEM Nav. threads? The majority of the criticisms of the nav. come from people who don't even own one yet alone have read the manual.

Do you think that I don't keep an eye out for OEM Nav. threads? The majority of the criticisms of the nav. come from people who don't even own one yet alone have read the manual.

Well what makes you think that without owning an OEM navi, you cannot pass a judgement on it ? I know its limitations and I know it does not have features I find absolutely critical: hard drive (though one guy engineered something) to name but one. People buy the OEM navi because they hate the hassles, the headaches and the work of putting their own (aftermarket). Or maybe because they have low expectations. They decide to fork the money for OEM just for ease of use (coming in a factory ready package), not for because it is a superior product. And we are not talking here just Navi. It is everything like controlling your CDs and still having to burn CDs with music, mp3 or not; it is about not having TV or DVD or SAT TV or SAT Radio, and engine monitoring (like coolant temps and boost and engine knocking) along with having a few more aux inputs for whatever crazy things one has in mind; being able to upgrade it.. Capisci ?

Well what makes you think that without owning an OEM navi, you cannot pass a judgement on it ? I know its limitations and I know it does not have features I find absolutely critical: hard drive (though one guy engineered something) to name but one. People buy the OEM navi because they hate the hassles, the headaches and the work of putting their own (aftermarket). Or maybe because they have low expectations. They decide to fork the money for OEM just for ease of use (coming in a factory ready package), not for because it is a superior product. And we are not talking here just Navi. It is everything like controlling your CDs and still having to burn CDs with music, mp3 or not; it is about not having TV or DVD or SAT TV or SAT Radio, and engine monitoring (like coolant temps and boost and engine knocking) along with having a few more aux inputs for whatever crazy things one has in mind; being able to upgrade it.. Capisci ?

So, you do not own an OEM unit. You haven't operated an OEM nav. You don't have any experience with the OEM system yet you somehow feel qualified to make sweeping negative pronouncements about the OEM Nav. of which you have zero experience.

I'd say your opinion of the Nav system is dubious at best.

So, you do not own an OEM unit.

No. I do not own one.

You haven't operated an OEM nav. You don't have any experience with the OEM system yet you somehow feel qualified to make sweeping negative pronouncements about the OEM Nav. of which you have zero experience.

You don't have an aftermarket system, nor do you own a regular GT yet that qualifies you to make sweeping negative pronouncements about the regular GT and/or aftermarket navigation systems, of which you have zero experience.

I'd say your opinion on the Spec B in general is dubious at best.

^ I have shopped aftermarket navs and there are some nifty units out there and they're only getting better. I test drove an LGT and it while it was a nice car it didn't impress me overly much. So it does appear that I do, in fact, have some experience with the two things you mentioned. You, however, have no experience with the OEM nav. yet you slam it out of hand based upon what? Certainly not your experiences with it nor with its operation.

Your last comment is gratuitous.

Look, I'm not trying to catch you out. I'm simply trying to dispell certain myths that seem to get perpetuated on this site about certain products and equipment that appear to have little basis in actual fact.

Archived