LegacyGT.com

Weapon R intakes

99GTL30

I've seen them, not sure if they're any good, personally I'd go for the injen coldair if you're willing to fork tha cash, and not planning on a motor swap... I'd do it, but I'm so damn confused on what to do with this car it's nuts!

I put a weapon r dragon in for my 98' gt a while ago. I noticed a pretty big difference after I put it in. I could definitly hear it when I stepped on the gas and the engine was a lot smoother in the higher RPMs.As far as gas mileage maybe like 1-2 mpg more?I couldnt really tell the difference. I know they have the dragon and secret weapon. The secret weapon is probably better but its like a 100 more so whatever you wanna do. But overall yeah I recomend it.

Do the exhaust first if you haven't.

What they do is move the power a bit into the higher rpm range, at the expense of sounding fricking loud. Although it does sound kind of neat.

I would say they maybe give you 1 or 2 hp at the most, if that.

You lose some torque though, so it is a trade off.

• 3 weeks later...

What's the difference between Weapon R's Dragon and their Secret Weapon? I found them both on a website but I can't seem to find a difference. There has to be one for 100 more dollars X_X

Dragon: http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-24861.cfm

Secrect Weapon: http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-24511.cfm

The dragon intake has your run of the mill intake pipe whereas the secret weapon intakes tube consists of 2 tubes. It has the same outer tube as the dragon but a smaller inner tube also that is not as long as the larger tube. The idea they have came up with is that the airflow through the smaller tube is faster because of the smaller pathway than the larger (outer) tube and when the two air flows meet up before they go to the throttle body the faster air stream makes a vaccum kinda and forces (or sucks) the outer air flow to flow faster. I know this sounds weird but the basic prionciple is that it allows the intake to create a greater air charge to enter the engine than a regular intake. I have no idea if this is just a gimic or if it actually works but I know that is why it is more money.

This is a quote from a website I bought my dragon a while back before they came out with the secret weapon one

"The Secret Weapon Intake was designed, to increase air intake volume to the engine. The concept is to create two different air velocity profiles, one traveling at higher speeds than the other.

This technology increases air volume and speed to the engine, which naturally feeds the engine 3x more air than the conventional air intake system. The intake pipe is bent out of high quality 6061 Aluminum on our Automated CNC mendrel bender. Polished to a high show quality finish. The SW1 Air filter features a tuned velocity stack to increase velocity and decrease turbulence. Only Comes In Polished. 1 Million Mile Limited Warranty Open pore high density re-usable foam Over 250 applications for Car’s / Trucks / Suv’s"

What's the difference between Weapon R's Dragon and their Secret Weapon? I found them both on a website but I can't seem to find a difference. There has to be one for 100 more dollars X_X

Dragon: http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-24861.cfm

Secrect Weapon: http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-24511.cfm

Thanks for the info Kolber1, that really helps! So if that's the case, wouldn't it give a little bit more "kick", thus increasing the hp? But the Dragon and the Secret Weapon both put out +16hp it says. Any idea what the performance difference most likely is for the two intakes?

I am trying to decide if I want to put my stock airbox back in. The gas mileage was consistently better with my K & N air filter. I recorded 32 mpg on long trips. Now with the weapon R I record anywhere from 26 mpg to 31 on highway trips. And I cant seem to predict at all when it will change.

My trip yesterday I drove like a grandma. Limited passing, gentle acceleration, cruise control, 72 mph. I never driven that tame before and I only got 27 mpg. Theres was no wind, my tires were inflated properly, no cargo so it shoulda been better than that. A month earlier my trip to SC I averaged about 30 for the whole 1200 mile trip with 4 people and all of their luggage. I cant seem to predict when Ill have good mileage and when Ill have bad.

That said, after the summer is over Ill prolly put my box back in, since Ill be doing mostly highway driving.

Stock filter ---> K & N filter ---> Weapon-R and I have always averaged 21 mpg strictly city driving every time that I have calcualted it.

I agree, the weapon R is a bit of a waste without other supporting mods

If you do a search on Nasioc and sl-i.net you'll find a couple of dyno results that showed the actual gains done by a completely independent guy (NOT a company man)

IF I remember correctly, the weapon R was shown to cause a loss of power, K&n filter and de-snorkled was the best bang for the buck asside from an ebay intake

I DID have an ebay intake and removed it, replaced my stock airbox and put the K&N back in because i could notice a significant loss of low end torque, especially on warm day (I'm in florida)

best mod for the money, gut your catalytic converter if you can, get a lightweight pulley (Agency power is what i have, very nice) some headers (borla or obx), and a K&N filter after a snorkelectomy.

you should expect about 15-20 hp from all that conservatively, and it shouldn't cost you more than 400 bucks if you shop wisely.

http://www.importimage.com doesn't list anything for our vehicles but i've bought every piece of performance equipment through him, just call up or send a mesage and he will match and beat any advertised price on any piece of equipment.

if nothing else is remembered.... avoid paying 300 bucks for a piece of aluminum tubing that costs 15 dollars, including labor, that you could have fabbed for you at any exhaust shop for less than 100.

Slegacy, so you're happy with the Weapon R intake system, but not happy with the airbox, correct? I am about to buy a Secret Weapon intake for my legacy, but I'll have second thoughts if you're having bad luck with the intake itself. Would you recommend I just buy the intake, then use an airbox from something else?

I agree, the weapon R is a bit of a waste without other supporting mods

If you do a search on Nasioc and sl-i.net you'll find a couple of dyno results that showed the actual gains done by a completely independent guy (NOT a company man)

IF I remember correctly, the weapon R was shown to cause a loss of power, K&n filter and de-snorkled was the best bang for the buck asside from an ebay intake

I DID have an ebay intake and removed it, replaced my stock airbox and put the K&N back in because i could notice a significant loss of low end torque, especially on warm day (I'm in florida)

best mod for the money, gut your catalytic converter if you can, get a lightweight pulley (Agency power is what i have, very nice) some headers (borla or obx), and a K&N filter after a snorkelectomy.

you should expect about 15-20 hp from all that conservatively, and it shouldn't cost you more than 400 bucks if you shop wisely.

www.importimage.com doesn't list anything for our vehicles but i've bought every piece of performance equipment through him, just call up or send a mesage and he will match and beat any advertised price on any piece of equipment.

if nothing else is remembered.... avoid paying 300 bucks for a piece of aluminum tubing that costs 15 dollars, including labor, that you could have fabbed for you at any exhaust shop for less than 100.

While I don't agree with the gutting the cats part, if you get the OBX header you'll make some decent gains and not have to gut your stock ones; it comes with a seperate uncatted piece to replace that section of pipe.

ALso, this is what I'm running if it helps any.

HPIM0267.thumb.jpg.c81bc88e4fbb9a17c318026b007be6f6.jpg

While I don't agree with the gutting the cats part, if you get the OBX header you'll make some decent gains and not have to gut your stock ones; it comes with a seperate uncatted piece to replace that section of pipe.

ALso, this is what I'm running if it helps any.

Did you make that intake mod or order it? Looks like a pretty good setup actually.

Archived