LegacyGT.com

Is it pointless to get a Legacy if I cant afford the GT

Read the OP....he said he's not allowed to get a car w/ a turbo.

oh ok I missed that part.

Ok then, for the OP. I got 2 words for you. Honda Civic. Save the dough.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I traded in a turbo car for my 2.5i and at first I was regretting not getting a GT but I am not anymore. We had a backroads meet last weekend and it was myself, another 2.5i, and a bunch of GT's, everyone of them were surprised by my car. They said it wasn't so bad for a N/A and that I kept up very well. At one point in time I was leading the pack on backroads and I had TyTek with his GT wagon behind me, granted he only had his base map b.c of a boost issue but he said "I was expecting to push you off the road, but I actually couldnt keep up" This wasn't b.c it was fast ,but b.c I know how to drive and the car took everything I gave it. It made me feel esp good about buying a 2.5i when I got all the compliments that I did. Overall, it might not be fast, but you can make it enjoyable, I have.

Its more fun to drive a slower car fast, than a fast car fast. On that same ride she talks of, I was climbing at the back bumper of turbo GT's and turbo GT's were having to hustle to keep up with me. I got the same type of comments, "You kept right up with us, what have you done to the engine?"

Compare the other cars you are considering to the 2.5i and make the decision for your self. These Subaru cars handle very good! That has nothing to do with the turbo!

What can you afford? You can always buy a used LGT at a good price. They are starting to pop up more frequently lately.

I'd stay away from the CL based upon well known issues with the Honda/Acura V6 auto tranny during those years. The only way I'd tell anyone to get a CL is if they got the 6 speed manual which was only available in the later years ('03 maybe?).

Guest subiecity
hi im subiecity, i have an addiction, please help...................lolol im jk i have the 2.5i i put sum work into it , minor upgrades to the engine the rest is interior and exterior aestetics, demon eyes, rims, suspension, lip girlle, detective style fogs etc etc etc i do take mine to a few cars shows here and there like HIN's i love my 2.5i no matter hat anyone else says, its not like its exactly slow, but dont sexpect to keep up with a ferrari, its defintly no kia or honda or anything liek that, u give it gas and it goes very well, i dont get good gas milage cuz i pretty much live at redline but would u expect any thing else....plus the awd is great ive tried soooo many times and i cant seem to really spin my tires or lose controll really, i aactually took it for the 1st time last week and did sum donuts, its great i love it, im gonna beat the hell outta it until i can get it to blow up, then ill buy antoher one, subarus are great.....+1 on the 2.5i still an excellent motor, and the base 174 hp and tq is more then enuf for everyday driving, interior is very clean, not to mention the seats are soo goddam comfotable with a farily large back seat any questions or comments please ask im here ima professinal addict on my car everyone on this site knos me

Guest subiecity
eh a car is a car noenthe less spending money on tthe gt or the 2.5i is still money u will never see again

Guest subiecity
I took my 2.5i to the track last week. I wasn't sad like you'd think I'd be, the way people on this site talk about the GT vs. 2.5i.

yea i kno i kno the gt is great and all, but the 2.5i is still very good for a 4cyl NA and plus the awd, off hand i cant think of any other company that makes 4cyl NA with awd, i dont think so anyways, the 2.5i is still a very good car like ive been saying b4 everyone talks like the gt vs a 2.5i is like us guys are driving a kia or hyundai

Guest subiecity
even with my 2.5i i can still go very fast with it if i wanted to i love my legayc and if i could go back in the past to chose either my modefied 2.5i or a base LGT id still go with my 2.5i

The NA Legacy's move along just fine.

My local Dollar Rent-A-Car has an entire fleet of NA Subarus, most of which are Legacys or Outbacks. During my last travel, my coworkers/friends ended up with a Legacy as a rental car. I, on the other hand, received a Toyota Sienna.

When we were out and about in Oxnard/Pt. Mugu, my friend drove most of the time and his rental car was more than sufficient to haul around three ~6ft, 190lb grown men.

Needless to say, I was quite surprised.

In fact, both him and his girlfriend are now seriously looking at the 2.5i as a possible future car. They were shy of the Legacy at first due to the cost of the LGT and couldn't justify the added HP/TQ and gas cost.

Really you need to ask your self a few things and you can decide from there.

1) What do you expect to use the car for?

2) What kind of mods and power do you want from the car?

3) What kind of a driver are you

4) What kind of roads are in your area?

5) Do you plan on racing your car at a track, if yes what kind of racing.

If you just want to commute in the car and have something that is reliable then the 2.5i will work great for you. If you plan on modding the focus on the strengths of the car and mostly work on them. The 2.5i's main strength is handling so some springs, shocks, sways, wheels, tires, intake, and exhaust should give you a great daily driver that is fun for an auto cross and pretty beastly on curvy roads. Minus the wheels and tires and if you do the installs yourself it should be under 3k for all that easily.

If you wanna go to a drag track look in a completely different direction and don't get a Subaru, they can do it but there is better out there. Autocross and road courses are where our cars really shine, and you really dont need a turbo for that to have fun and contend. I hang out with 2 impreza guys that are both N/A (1 wagon 1 sedan) and they both out handle so i get left behind in the curves, and yes they are both modded.

Any Subaru is gonna be a great fun car to drive due to the AWD and they respond well to suspention mods regaurdless of a turbo. So if you like the car get it, you will be happy.

Well I am now on my second 2.5i and loving it!!

I had an 05 Sedan and now an 07 Wagon.

Its pretty quick...not super fast but still very fun to drive. Deepfreeze2 road in my wag last weekend and he was suprised by it I think. He made a comment of its quickness actually.

Pluses are it handles like its on rails, great gas mileage for an AWD, good for a 4 cylinder, it shares a ton of things w/the GT so you can still do suspension and cosmetic mods, and it pops into corners quicker...better compression and no turbo to wait for!

Minuses...engine aftermarket doesn't exist and it doesn't have 250 horses...

This is my commuter car and its perfect for me...

Now as a guy who had a Altima for 2 weeks last month when my sedan was in the body shop it doesn't even compare. The interior is cheap and ugly, FWD sucks period, and they are everywhere....a Mazda 6 would be the only other car I would consider IMHO an Altima isn't in the same class.

Good luck!

Go for the 2.5i. There really is no other car in it's class. For the price - it's a sexy car, has AWD, and the reliability of Subaru.

Sure, it's not as quick as a GT but they can both go just as fast. ;)

2.5i vs the 9-3 hmmmmmmm, I would be torn. I would say the 9-3 would offer the most in terms of comfort out of the choices you listed. Anyone who thinks otherwise, has not sat in a Saab 9-3, which has by far the most comfortable seats ever put into an automobile.

My sister has a 2004 9-3, and i personally think those seats are the most uncomfortable seats around!

IMHO, having only owned the Base model Legacy and Impreza I can say, that they are still worth it if you can't afford the GT or WRX series. I am often reminded, upon driving my Ruu's why I love them so much. They simply are FUN cars to own and drive, and far more fun an experience than any other sort of car out there (again IMHO). They all have some 'potential' , they all are basically the same under the skin. All the things that make the GT's and Rex's a joy to drive, the base models have at 90% of those things.

The 10% they don't have is the turbo. It's a big 10% if all you care about is POWR POWER POWER... but the Base models, do plently fine on their own.

They are out of the box as impressive performance wise as some V6's, and the handling out of the box is enough to eclipse just about any other car in their respective classes, unless you want to pay even more on top of their base. The Standard AWD too, thats worth something as well over -other- models.

I dunno, My cousin had a rental Altima and next to my 03 Leggy wagon, it wasn't nearly as nice in our opinions. She even liked riding and driving my Leggy better. It was simply -more enjoyable- they are serious machines, real machines. Made for more than consumer commuting.

My opinion, even if you can't afford the GT, get a Subaru. Chances are, they will hold their value better than the other cars you are considering, so in a couple years after saving you can still get decent trade in value when you go to get a GT. And on the plus side, you won't be driving 'another consumer vehicle' like everyone else.

*it should be noted that my opinions are of course, my own. The things I list are important to establishing the value of my cars to me. Then again, I really enjoy driving, and just cruising, and My two Ruu's I've owned have hands down been the best for the money of any car I've ever owned. I also drive an 05 Impala (company mule) and I hate it, I loath it. It's arguably a "better" car in the sense that it has more power tourqe and somewhat smoother ride and roomier, but it's an absolute bore to drive and ride in, and I see a million of them in a day. Be a sheeple, or Drive a Suby. Choose wisely.

• 1 month later...
I would love to buy the GT but i just saw the Inconvenient Truth and i don't like spending up the gas in the tank so much faster by wanting to drive the car faster. I love it when i drive at the limit on the highways and get away with saving so much gas. I love my sunroof that came with the Special Edition package and the leather wheel i added. Honestly i think if you drive a manual - you can certainly use some skills to keep up with anyone who thinks this is another '4 cylinder' car.

I would love to buy the GT but i just saw the Inconvenient Truth and i don't like spending up the gas in the tank so much faster by wanting to drive the car faster. I love it when i drive at the limit on the highways and get away with saving so much gas. I love my sunroof that came with the Special Edition package and the leather wheel i added. Honestly i think if you drive a manual - you can certainly use some skills to keep up with anyone who thinks this is another '4 cylinder' car.

thanks for mentioning that you need a manual to keep up.

Archived