LegacyGT.com

07 spec b impressions and questions

Foos

Hi all, I just drove an 07 spec b and am considering one as my volvo v70r (exhaust, chip, spring roughly 290-300whp). leasse is up soon.

Observations

Power- was not that impressive and spool was slow. Car had 50 miles though.

Ride- was plush, might be more my speed w/ springs.

Brakes- Didn't get to test them.

Interior- Pretty damn nice but my volvo seats are the most comfortable I have ever felt.

Random- It's a subaru so it's pretty bulletproof unlike my relatively fragile volvo.

So, If i bought this car springs would go in before i even picked it up, and I'd be anxious to do some power mods...(ECU mods are not out b/c of difficulties w/ Si drive?) and would probably do an sti swap. Is power typically a lot better after break-in with these cars?

Also, I searched about the 08 spec b's and they have black/grey interior? Can anyone confirm this?

08 spec B's have black/grey interior

For EM, you would have to look to UTEC on an 07. Cobb accessport is popular with ealier years of Legacy's and is the dominant EM for turbo Legacy's so far but it has not been released for 07s yet. Cobb is working on a newer version....

Yes, maybe my butt-dyno is a little used to more power...was thinking it would be a lot closer since many have said that the spec b is underrated, while the volvo crowd think the R is overrated. Anyway, nothing breathing and a turbo can't cure. Thanks for your responses guys http://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

seats are not all that great, they're ok, but dont really grip enough and feels too high off the ground and too flat, then again, ive been used to recaro seats in my previous two cars, plus the stock seats are adequate for some of the more overweight drivers.

and yes, out of the box, it doesnt feel like it would have that much power right out of the box either until you tune it.

btw, SI drive has nothing to do with lack of engine management options, its changes in the ECU/OBD communication port hardware that has changed for all the 07 Subaru models, not just the Legacy. The usual ECU reflash manufacturers are still working over this hurdle, but they'll figure it out eventually.

Why do you want to do an Sti drivetrain (engine and transmission i assume) swap on a brand new car? Sounds like a pricy and unnecssary project, esp if you wait a bit you can just do the traditional stg 3 or 4 turbo upgrades + tune for a lot less money.

Ed

Ed

I agree on the seats and I may change them out if i get the car. Will lose side airbags though.

About the swap...I just mean swapping the intake/turbo/intercooler to an sti or like setup ($1800-1500). I want about 300whp and that's a pretty cheap way to go. The other option is going to TDC and having something done. They're only 45mins away! BUT, i think i would wait until the warranty is up.

i thought that the Sti TMIC doesn't readily swap into the legacy motor without transplanting the entire TMIC/turbo inlet/intake manifold/turbo/downpipe. still sounds like a tedious and unnecssary expensive project...unless you've source a crashed sti drivetrain for cheap

300 whp will require new turbo/IC/fuel pump/injectors/maybe new headers/DP/ no need for uppipe since the 07 uppipe is catless/ and a tune optiion when its avail.

Ed

Archived