LegacyGT.com

weight for new Legacy GT?

I hope the Outback XT will have the 4.44 gears. That would be fun. I don't know that I necessarily agree that they have the same engine. The intercooling system alone is enough to tell different. The GT has a much smaller intercooler IIFC. Which is very counter-intuitive.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, it 'looks' smaller with that big cover on there. If it's more efficient and effective which it appears it may be, then I don't care. The std WRX intercooler can cool 320hp upgraded WRX's effectively enough and that's a less effective design with all the bends and such that have to be made. BTW, FXT 215/60R-16 tires weigh 24-29lbs per, the OB XT tires look to be in the 27lb range and I can't imagine those wheels will weigh less than 20lbs.

Could be true about being more efficient. But I do find it hard to believe that they could re-engineer thier intercooling system to increase efficiency that much. Lik eyou said though, the WRX intercooling is a bit of overkill for the kind of power it's making. I think that the difference in gear ratios should make the XT as quick as the GT regardless. I still am not set on the OBXT. I just don't know what to do.. I AM SO CONFUSED :( :lol:

You're normally confused. :D j/k The OB XT and Legacy GT Intercooler setup is EXACTLY the same visually. I saw the Leg GT pics and personally looked at the new OB XT under the hood and could see there was no visual changes. I'm not saying the WRX intercooler is overkill for the car, just that an extra margin of safety is built in. As long as the stock IC on the new GT can do a good job handling a Cobb Stage 2 power pack (which no reason it shouldn't), I'll be just fine with it.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Could be true about being more efficient. But I do find it hard to believe that they could re-engineer thier intercooling system to increase efficiency that much. Lik eyou said though, the WRX intercooling is a bit of overkill for the kind of power it's making. I think that the difference in gear ratios should make the XT as quick as the GT regardless. I still am not set on the OBXT. I just don't know what to do.. I AM SO CONFUSED :( :lol:[/quote] Once you free your mind from sole focus on those performance bugbears, all becomes clear. It isn't just about performance. Sure, at anything past 7/10ths, as Paul Hansen said, the GT will be better, but you aren't going to get anywhere near that on the streets, in ANY situation. At 4/10ths in my WRX, passengers start looking for a taxicab, alternately screaming and waving out the window. :lol: And the GT/XT will be more potent. Kevin

[quote name='SUBE555']Actually, it 'looks' smaller with that big cover on there. [/quote] This is a good point. The different shape is probably adding to the appearance of being smaller also. The intercooler definately looks larger in person also, even with the plastic cover on it.

[quote name='Gumby']Kev, You at 4/10ths on whatever suspension/tires you have on your car is probably the equililant of 6/10ths stock :lol:[/quote] Admittedly, it's more the driver. I have this thing about accelerating through corners, one of the beauties of all wheel drive. I think there's something about coming up to a corner at 40 mph, and not slowing down as you round it that makes people who aren't my wife or the two auto racing friends that I have, ask all sorts of existential questions, such as: Where does your soul go when you die? Will there really be a bright light? etc, etc. :lol: Suspension-wise, I am all STi, all the time, from struts and springs to lateral and trailing links to front control arm bushings. It's a pretty fun car, actually. Kevin

With the new Liberty being some 75Kg lighter than the previous model, you can afford to put some of the good stuff back into your car. For example sound system, extra lighting and bigger rims to name a few. Over the past few months I have been doing some research on a carbon kevlar mix for both the boot and the bonnet. The strength of this stuff is amazing but its not cheap. The yellow strands thru the carbon give a different look and feel compaired to the run of the mill black. If you want to stand out from the pack, go for it. There are no weight gains over the normal carbon but strength is improved greatly.

Archived