LegacyGT.com

Overdrive jerk problem

My car is automatic. I feel a jerk when the car downshifts into a lower gear in 4th gear. when i drive and keep the car at a steady pace of 40 miles an hour with the rpm at about 3300 rpm the car downshifts (shifts to overdrive) automaticlly and rpm drops to about 1500rpm while in forth gear.

The jerk happens when the car downshits (into overdrive) anybody else have this problem? But after you drive the car for about 30 minutes when it shifts into overdrive it shifts smoothly. Can somebody help me out with this problem?

I hear the car isnt even suppose to shift into overdrive till the car is fully warm. My does it as soon as the car is on between the 1 minute till about 30 minutes then it smooth after that.

Does anybody know if there is a overdrive temp sensor or if it could be the transmission ecu thing?

Also if I put the car in the manual shift and do it from first to third and keep it in third the car also shifts into overdrive in THIRD GEAR is that weird or normal? then after it switches into overdrive in 3th and I put it in 4th gear it will shift into overdrive again. Anybody have any suggestions? thanks

I currently have 42,000miles and its been doing it ever since I got the car. I bought the car used with about 26,000 miles on it. I am scared to take it to the dealer because i dont want them to turn me away and say its normal just wait for the car to warm up. I am going to take it to dealer as soon as I get more info so i can have an arguement to back up my case.

It's the TCC (torque converter clutch) locking up that you are feeling, not a gear change. It will be harsh sometimes, maybe the fluid temp affects the "hit".

It depends on the spread of slippage (torque from engine making RPM higher VS output of converter RPMs to tranny) vs/ 1:1 lockup RPMs.

does the transmission behave normally when driven in Drive?

It's the TCC (torque converter clutch) locking up that you are feeling, not a gear change. It will be harsh sometimes, maybe the fluid temp affects the "hit".

It depends on the spread of slippage (torque from engine making RPM higher VS output of converter RPMs to tranny) vs/ 1:1 lockup RPMs.

The transmission is normal after about 30 minutes. Everything is smooth. Before that its jerks on when downshifting into overdrive. if I let the car sit for a couple of hours (example 6 hours) It will do the jerk (rpm drop jerk in 4th) till it warms up.

I was thinking maybe it was like some kind of temp sensor for the overdrive or something to do with the brain telling it to engage.

I did get transmission flush about 29000 miles. I thought it would take care of the problem because the tech guy told me the transmission flush included flushing all the fluid out of the tranny and torque converter.

Is there a fix for this torque converter lockup thing?

I guess any gear beyond a 1:1 ratio is considered "overdriven" (faster output than input)

I think 5th gear is considered an overdrive.

Our 4th gear is probably very close to 1:1.

Go to the dealership and tell them that:icon_bigg

Just get use to a Japanese electric automatic in a FBW (Fly-by-wire) car. Its often jerky, and mixed results. Now add the wacky

power output of our turbo engine and the different ways it acts as it warms up, and the results can be interesting, to say the least

I guess any gear beyond a 1:1 ratio is considered "overdriven" (faster output than input)

Just get use to a Japanese electric automatic in a FBW (Fly-by-wire) car. Its often jerky, and mixed results. Now add the wacky

power output of our turbo engine and the different ways it acts as it warms up, and the results can be interesting, to say the least

I was having major tranny problems with my first Legacy (AT)

Take it to them and let them look at the ecu and even reflash it.

THough they did this to mine, and everything was ok for a week or so, the car "relearned" how I was driving and acted up again.

My problem was similiar, however when accelerating, i.e. getting on the freeway after 40 mph stints, the car would not shift

solution, the dealership bought back the car and sold me a MT...so that I "couldn't confuse the computer"

My first legacy thought it was smarter than me???

I was having major tranny problems with my first Legacy (AT)

Take it to them and let them look at the ecu and even reflash it.

THough they did this to mine, and everything was ok for a week or so, the car "relearned" how I was driving and acted up again.

My problem was similiar, however when accelerating, i.e. getting on the freeway after 40 mph stints, the car would not shift

solution, the dealership bought back the car and sold me a MT...so that I "couldn't confuse the computer"

My first legacy thought it was smarter than me???

Is flashing the ECU the same as reseting the ECU by taking the battery off?

not sure..

because the dealer kept referring to the fact that they had done a "hard" reset, I don't know.

After buying the car back they ordered a new ecu and sold it to someone else

I just noticed something today as I was droping the wife off this morning. When the car switches into overdrive or lowers it rpm in 4th gear (when I mean lowers the rpm in 4th it still stays in 4th gear just rpm drop to about 1500rpm). when I step on the gas really lightly to accelerate the rpm doesnt move it stays at 1500 but the car does speed up (just tapping the gas enought to speed up slowly) isnt that strange the rpm doesnt move at all and stays at 1500?

If I step on the gas a little bit harder (about 1/3 of the way the car shifts out of overdrive or what ever you call it (almost like a downshift to 3rd but stays in 4th gear) and rpm jump to about 2500rpm. then the rpms move up and down like normal but when i gradually release the gas it goes back into the overdrive or whatever you call it. and a repeat of the first paragraph

Anybody know whats going on?

I think it's the TCC, unlocking and locking. If you press on the gas hard enough, the ECU will tell the trans to unlock.....go to "how things work.com " or ??

I tried to tell you once....

Often, there is no geaqr change at all, you are just watching the RPMs rise when the TCC unlocks, that's all. Nothing to do with overdrive, but it does also happen in 5th gear.

What should I tell the dealer?

Sorry, I'm just joking bro.

Our auto-matic turbo subys do act funny. I doubt there is anything wrong with your car..

:icon_bigg .... I willing to do anything to get this resolved cuz I pretty sick of the jerk. 2005 car that has that jerky problem SUCKS. This is my first subie and I think it's my last. To many things wrong with noise from dash and seat, tranny, and also with the turbo models too. My 1995 honda accord never had any problems no rattles and still running strong at 217,000 miles. I will probably get this fixed from the dealer hopefully and my next car is an 2004-2007 acura TL.

Archived