LegacyGT.com

Anyone Change Their Own Timing Belt?

mtnsubie

Well, as far as when to change it, go HERE and see for yourself what Subaru says.

As far as changing it yourself, it depends on your skill level. If you're reasonably competent, and have decent instructions, you should be fine. If you get confused doing brakes, leave this one to a pro.

Yep did it myself when i pulled the engine to do the headgasket. If you do try to do the timing belt yourself it would be very advantageous to take the radiator out when you do it to have some more working room. its real easy to take out and put in, and while it is out flush your cooling system well. it is possible to do it without doing the radiator but be prepared for some cramped spaces. also once you get the covers off, before you take your idler off, align all the timing marks, (mark with paint) the new timing belt has marks on it that will line up with those marks. check your idlers to make sure that the bearings are good. If they go out (kaboom). reassemble and enjoy. i think the service interval is every 100,000mi.

as others said. if your are compitent with a wrench go for it. if not leave it to a pro. its easyer to replace when the current one still works. much harder once the belt breaks or slips. and might as well factor in all idlers and tensioner pullys. it just makes sence to replace them while your are in there but its up to you. i would have it all on hand and if they felt ok during disasembly, then just bring em back un opened assuming the dealer wont charge your a re stocking fee

forgot one thing, make sure that your tensioner is in working condition. If you can close it with hand pressure at all it is too loose. get a new one. it'd be a shame to get it all put back together and then have to rip it apart again for a 20$ tensioner.

• 3 weeks later...

If I remember correctly, the 2.2 is nondestructive (one of the reasons my folks got it in our Legacy). So if you screwed up the timing, it just wouldn't run, but no major harm done....

We do most of our own car work and a timing belt isn't horrible, esp on an engine thats pretty accessible and such. I'd have to ask what my dad did to do ours (I was still a youngin when he did it). But if I recall, not horrible to do yourself.

If I remember correctly, the 2.2 is nondestructive (one of the reasons my folks got it in our Legacy). So if you screwed up the timing, it just wouldn't run, but no major harm done....

That was true, up until 1996. Starting in 1997, it became a valve bender.

quote from wikipedia:

All DOHC and 1997-up SOHC EJ engines are interference engines, if the timing belt fails the engine will likely be destroyed or the valves & piston will be heavily damaged.

Archived