LegacyGT.com

JDM ACC Controller.. CLICK ME!

MaStaMooN

Would you donate money for this to happen?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you donate money for this to happen?

• Yes
    • No

I'll obviously help out. But I imagine I'll end up fronting the bill, so I'm going to stay out of it until we get a real headcount. Its easy for people to click yes, and then never help out.

Go Cardinals!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just my personal opinion here... But if you have a relaible engineer here in the groups whos willng to take a peek in to it, i think a better avenue would be solidying what is necessary to start replicating the alterations to the stock unit that people have already done, for a few reasons.

1. We have the stock unit, that we know has everything necessary to function properly, and we have the PDM piece that is an unknown.

2. We have the stock piece, that we know has all the functioning equipment on the proper sides of the vehicle, and we have the JDM piece, where everything is backwards. (im not knowking your efforts, but if i chipped in money for the attempt, and wound up with the drivers side dial on the passenger side, and vice cersa, plus the displays backwards, id be annoyed).

3. We know its doable already. Examples of it are going around, etc. Its just a matter of getting pieces fabbed up to make it a fairly plug and play solution.

Just my thoughts. :)

I just bought an 05 two months ago, and im starting my stereo ventures now. I was holding out for TDC, but now with the owner taking off, im not sure they are going to finish the project, so i bought a spare radio to hack in to. I think its great to see you all working on this solution, but imho (and its just me), after all is said and done, having the controls on the wring side just isnt going to cut it...

Well so far we have 6 people that want to donate to this.. So the layout per person is currently at $44.66. Ill let this go for the rest of this week and probably start getting the money together to order next Monday if that is alright with everybody else?

Hi Guys...

I am one of the EE's who is frustrating you.. Now I am not a practicing EE, but the electronics here should be simple enough to figure out..

The problem we are facing is that we cannot get any type of schematic for this JDM piece.. And without it, the schematic would be pretty difficult to reverse engineer.. And remember.. We are not hanging around in front of our scopes all day....

I have the JDM componet.. ( That is a pic of my kitchen table on page 1 of this post )..

I have also roped in a fellow gadgeteer from the forum as well as a colleague of mine to work on it.. Money / Donations are not the issue right now.. If you all want to help, take the part number from the 3rd picture and find us schematics !!

i have crawled through the ranks @ Kenwood with dozens of dead end phone calls.. If you all could find us the schemies, we are in business ;)

-Fiche

Well im not really sure what we should do here?

Should we go ahead and buy one for Meltdown07? Maybe him and Diquefiche can put their heads together and work it out if they both have the same piece in front of them?

What still irks me is that TDC says they have a working setup.. so that means that they have the schematics? Or are they just blowing smoke up our asses?? im guessing the latter.

I dont know what to do... I really want some ICE... but for the price of it all I can get some headers, F&R Lip, springs, sways...... hmmmm

Give me some feedback here guys.

I dont think it means they used this piece at all. I took their endevours to meant they were trying to efficiently and reliably produce a solution to the united Radio/ACC issue. I didnt take it to mean they were using the JDM piece at all...

I dont know about that.. from THIS POST by TDC it makes it seem as they were working on and had figured out how to successfully setup the JDM ACC unit to work in their LGT. Along with the thread in their own section (gone now, doh!) that was labeled JDM ACC...

I believe they were going to get a new case built for the guts of this JDM ACC unit so it would fit correctly in our USDM cars and be the right color. This post kinda mentions it also.

So what do we believe.. they were lying or this is possible?

I see. I had missed those two posts, and just remembered him saying he was working on a *solution.*

I doubt they were lying, but with the shakeup mentioned on the TDC board i doubt the project will ever get seen through to completion.

Someone directly asked about the ACC unit and another development project, and TDA slyly answered that the other project was still giong forward... But made no mention of the CC.

Im getting ready to tear in to my extra radio, as soon as i get some free time off of work. How hard can it be? lol...

Im on the fence now. This is something I really wanted to happen.. but it seems without hacking your stocker or waiting for SOA to put a piece out, I dont know if its gonna happen.

I went through my planned modlist today, and the next round of parts I want to do comes out to around 2500 bucks... this part possibly costing 300-400 after all said an done, plus the pioneer AVIC i wanted to buy, comes out to about the same price... I can make my car faster and look better... or have some ICE.... hmmm.

ICE isnt a term I like to use.. but its the easiest way to talk about radios + bluetooth + DVD + IPOD + Navi, etc... Instead of spelling it out over and over again.

Hacking the stocker vs. this jdm acc thing is going to end up costing a bunch.. either money or time.. and most people (including me) dont have plenty of either one. Or the skill necessary to cut circuit boards, and soldering wires..

This bums me out.. and its freaking snowing here again.. I was running around in a freakin Tshirt on wednesday... mother nature sure is a bitch!

Just my personal opinion here... But if you have a relaible engineer here in the groups whos willng to take a peek in to it, i think a better avenue would be solidying what is necessary to start replicating the alterations to the stock unit that people have already done, for a few reasons.

That solution will never be massed produced. The effort and detail involved is far too time consuming for it to be profitable/marketable. The JDM piece on the other hand, while still unknown, will likely be a much lower effort retrofit once it has been reverse engineered into submission for USDM use.

ignore him, he'll go away.

That solution will never be massed produced. The effort and detail involved is far too time consuming for it to be profitable/marketable. The JDM piece on the other hand, while still unknown, will likely be a much lower effort retrofit once it has been reverse engineered into submission for USDM use.

Id be more inclined to agree with you, IF it could be reverse engineered to not be a hack job. Do we even know that with ANY amt of reverse engineering that the thermostats and displays will be on the right side of the car, or is EVERYONE just content to have it be backwards?

I know it sounds like im being anal, but taking what can be considered a pretty refined car, and hacking the dash to do a custom stereo install, only to end up with dual zone climate controls and having to tell everyone in the car that theyre BACKWARDS, would drive me absolutely insane.

Im not saying the retrofit of the stock piece is an easy task... And with soldering all the wires it looks like those who have succeeded have done so after a crapload of stress... But thats part of process design, yes? Im not recommending someone start a production line od soldering, lol... I wondering if something else can be engineered... The necessary connectors to divorce and relocate the radio, perhaps?

And while i agree on the surface it seems like the JDM piece will be a simpler solution, the fact remains... We already KNOW whats involved in the stock hacking... We really have no clue whats involved with the JDM piece, until someone can decipher the insides. So (again, just mho) its a "specific long amount of tedious soldering" or "an underterminable amount of time to figure out how to disect a completely different expensive piece."

In any event, id love for a skilled EE to come in here and prove me wrong... Then i dont have to spend two weeks screwing up the extra deck i bought, LOL...

Im not saying the retrofit of the stock piece is an easy task... And with soldering all the wires it looks like those who have succeeded have done so after a crapload of stress... But thats part of process design, yes? Im not recommending someone start a production line od soldering, lol... I wondering if something else can be engineered... The necessary connectors to divorce and relocate the radio, perhaps?

Again, possible, but never gonna happen. Initial engineering and production costs would prohibit that project from ever taking place.

And while i agree on the surface it seems like the JDM piece will be a simpler solution, the fact remains... We already KNOW whats involved in the stock hacking...

Yeah, that it's extremely time consuming which prevents only those with the time and skill to pull it off. Knowing how to do it doesn't really change anything for most people looking for a soultion.

We really have no clue whats involved with the JDM piece, until someone can decipher the insides. So (again, just mho) its a "specific long amount of tedious soldering" or "an underterminable amount of time to figure out how to disect a completely different expensive piece."

Actually there is some knowledge out there. The first version of the JDMpiece was disected and was forced into some operation with the help of a schematic from the Aussies. We know that the panel itself is just a dumb display and the dual zone control unit is a separate piece below the passenger floorboard. The tideous task of the USDM piece is not what's waiting for us on the JDM. It will most likely be a matter of deciphering the schematic, creating a wiring harness to adapt the appropriate pins, and then overcoming the possible issue of driver/passenger side control placement.

But I don't see why many people see these roadblacks as the end of the world when it comes to aftermarket integration. The cubby is easily adapted (with a little skill by an experienced installer, nothing exotic) for both single and double din headunits. That location, IMO, is better for the DD units because of its elevated line of sight.

The only personal investment I have in the JDM controls is to remove the dead OEM radio from my dash and redevelop that realestate into some storage and gauge placement. My audio/video/NAV needs have been solved for well over a year. w/o waiting for any parts to become available.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Archived