LegacyGT.com

Are automatic carwashes LGT killers????

So what happens to the diff if you were to rip the e-brake on snow to get it to slide...I was wondering if was left in gear with front wheels spinning and rear wheels locked, will it damage anything.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to give my car a regular handjob, until the attendant at Shell told me to get lost.

Har Har. Lets see, you spend north of 25 grand for a car and send it through a dirty machine to have it "washed"? The LGT is a nice piece of machinery. Would you do it to your Porsche?

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Har Har. Lets see, you spend north of 25 grand for a car and send it through a dirty machine to have it "washed"? The LGT is a nice piece of machinery. Would you do it to your Porsche?

My dad runs his BMW through the car wash all the time and its fine. Im sure your LGT will be okay.

Guest Gitster
Yeah its kinda tough to wash my car in my driveway with 6-8 inches of snow. Pretty worthless, hence the autowash. I wash my car in the summer myself, not in the winter. Ive enver had a problem if I did I wouldnt use them.

Yeah its kinda tough to wash my car in my driveway with 6-8 inches of snow. Pretty worthless, hence the autowash. I wash my car in the summer myself, not in the winter. Ive enver had a problem if I did I wouldnt use them.

:whore: If I lived somewhere where I could wash my car outside myself year-round I would. But the snow and freezing temps make that tricky sometimes.

Guest Gitster
PLease we all know soapy water melts the intercooler, thats why I use special soap made from the wild boar fat of the Mountains of Afghanistan. Im no n00b. I just thought we were trying to have a serious discussion. My bad.

Whether you're parked legally or not, the tow company is responsible for any damages caused to your vehicle when towed. You might hear contrary from other people, probably even the tow company themselves, but a little research will back this up.

Not in the city of New York. if you get towed by a city tow truck anywhere in the 5 boroughs, they are not responsible for most damages incurred to the vehicle, and none incurred to the drivetrain. (if they rip off your fender while towing, and you can prove it, you might have a case, but if you leave an awd car in park and they two wheel tow it and it rips out your park pin... you're SOL) . its written into the parking laws, the tow agreements that NYPD has with the city, and a couple other places so they can cover their asses. This is not just witches tales or speculation, I have seen the documentation and been in contact with many individuals from nypd officers to tow drivers, to sergeants/managers of all. it's sad really, but they have it written so "you break the law by illegally parking, we have the right to tow your vehicle. we're not liable for drivetrain damage because you broke the law"

I have seen many Audi's with the front or rear wheels in the air, jumping and chirping the tires as the diffs were eaten up, same with grand cherokees, lexei (lexus's), and countless other awd vehicles. the saddest things are the automatics, I've heard the 'ting' of the park pin getting sheared as they go along the west side to the tow yard, and the wheels rolling along so much easier. the city only tows with two wheels up and two down. doesn't matter if you tell them otherwise either ( have had conversations with wrecker drivers as they have hooked up other people's cars)

now as for automatic car washes... if it's anything but myself, a clean sponge, a hose, a clean bucket, etc, I won't do it. swirl marks, scratches and the like come from auto car washes... especially the brushy kind. with the high pressure water automatic ones (which are actually based on older technology from the midwest and south from the 70's, in answer to whomever said they were newer) they're ok, but still the high pressure water is only filtered so much, so it does act as a sand blaster of sorts. I used a high pressure wand on my car the other day in the clean water mode just to clean my car of inches of salt and sand and other winter debris, but as far as washing it, only in the driveway!

sorry for the long azz post!

man i almost lost control entering the car wash with them. i was coming around the parking lot at like 5mph and the car sudenly started sliding around.

Yeah I know what you mean. When the conveyor belt stops the car just keeps sliding all the way to the street - it's very scary.

Sorry, but around here cars get towed all the time - front wheels off the ground.

It's a little much to ask the tow truck drivers to know whether or not the car is AWD and to treat it as such so it only makes sense that the transmission/differential would take this into account at least when in neutral.

yes, I've heard that tow truck drivers are incapable of understanding this. It's not like it's their business or anything...:icon_roll

yes, I've heard that tow truck drivers are incapable of understanding this. It's not like it's their business or anything...:icon_roll

Yes because all tow druck drivers own their own business. I forgot about that.

Archived