LegacyGT.com

Are automatic carwashes LGT killers????

Guest Gitster
Thanks for re-iterating, I said that about 4 times, but for some reason people don't know this. I'm sure theres previous threads about this, but really everyone should know!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it hard to believe that there's no safeguard in place for towing a Subaru by its front wheels.

Can someone else chime in on this (maybe even with a real story)?

Actually, when my 07 lgt took a shit in the morning, by that I mean, 3 parts of the engine broke, 600miles in too. Got a new engine for that one. Anyways, when I called the CAA they got me a truck in 10 mins and he didnt put me on a flat bed, however, he attached 4 sets of wheels to my back wheels. That way, being towed by the front wheels didnt spin my rear wheels.

Guest Gitster
I read on this forum that in older models, there is a fuse that you can put in to Enable 2WD, but thats with some kind of electronic system that im not sure we have.

I have never done an auto car wash with my Subbie. During the winter it is easier, cheaper and closer, to go to the self serve and hose off for 3 bucks. that way I can add keep adding quarters until all the poop comes out of the wheel wells. Heck, in winter the car look dirty again after a few hours.

Peace,

Greg

Guest Gitster
i really wonder who is liable in this situation though .... I mean what if your LEGALLY parked and you inadvertantly get towed on 2 wheels??

Sorry, but around here cars get towed all the time - front wheels off the ground.

It's a little much to ask the tow truck drivers to know whether or not the car is AWD and to treat it as such so it only makes sense that the transmission/differential would take this into account at least when in neutral.

Are they not supposed to ask whether you have AWD or not? :icon_conf In Dallas, I have always been asked every time I called a towing company.

i really wonder who is liable in this situation though .... I mean what if your LEGALLY parked and you inadvertantly get towed on 2 wheels??
Whether you're parked legally or not, the tow company is responsible for any damages caused to your vehicle when towed. You might hear contrary from other people, probably even the tow company themselves, but a little research will back this up.

I thought there was a fuse you are supposed to remove when you have a donut on the car to disable the AWD. See manual.

If your vehicle is an AWD type with an

automatic transmission but is neither a

Turbo model nor a 3.0-liter model,

deactivate its All-Wheel-Drive capability

as follows: Before driving your

vehicle with the temporary spare tire,

put a spare fuse inside the FWD

connector located in the engine compartment

and confirm that the “AWD ”

warning light comes on. The All-Wheel-

Drive capability of the vehicle has now

been deactivated. After re-installing the

conventional tire, remove the spare

fuse from the FWD connector in order

to reactivate All-Wheel Drive.

In case of emergency 9-3

From manual.

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

Are you kidding me??? You can only tow a full time AWD vehicle on a flat bed. A regular tow truck the props the front wheels up and tows with the rears on the ground will ruin a Subaru. How can own a Legacy and not know that???

I've seen conventional tow trucks that have dollies for the rear wheels of the towed car. That set up should also work.

FWIW, my previous car is/was a BMW 325iX. Since I got my LGT, it's broken down twice while my GF was driving (after more than a decade of reliable service for me - perfect timing!), and on both occasions the tow drivers were smart enough to bring flatbeds to come pick her up. She told them what kind of car, they figured out the flatbed part on their own. Surprising, but true.

Most people have no idea BMW made an AWD car in the late-80s / early-90s. I figure if two tow truck drivers on the outer edges of nowhere are knowledgeable enough to flatbed that car, we have nothing to worry about with our Subarus.

And I also think that if a tow driver blows up your center diff, it's their problem. If they tear your bumper off, it's their problem. Tearing apart your drivetrain should be no different. Being illegally parked means you have to pay a ticket - there's no statute which says "punishable with a $50 fine and random drivetrain damage." If it happens, talk to a lawyer. I have a hard time believing a tow company could escape liability for damaging someone's car like that.

Archived