LegacyGT.com

Great RockBlocker Install

Trek62

Thanks guys...I think I've found the tricks for the Legacy. Jim, right after you left I pulled my car in and applied mine. I was shocked that there wasn't a single imperfection on the front end of the car after 110 miles. I stayed at the shop until 1:30am and covered just about everything. All four fenders behind the wheels are covered (the pieces wrap into the wheel wells over the mud flap holes). Rockers are covered. Rear deck under the wing - covered. Top of wing, A-pillars, front 6 inches of roof line. I even covered my emblem on the grill. Trek62 - we ended up getting the Halloween costumes together instead. Still a fun afternoon.

If you go to this link [url]http://www.rockblocker.com/newkits.htm[/url] & scroll down to 2005 Subaru Legacy Grand Canyon you will see a sketch of what the 3m product. It covers the nose of the car as well as the top of the hood scoop & the front of both side mirrors. It's hard to notice unless you are either looking for it from a distance of about 3' or less or are right next to the car.

ih8vtec13: What color is your car? The clear bra isn't that noticable on a light colored car. The edges are a little more noticable on a dark car. You're not far from Lee's shop. You should take a ride out there when he's applying a clear bra.

Bob, It would appear that you have a white car? I was under the impression that the RockBlocker was not recommended for a white car because it has a slightly yellow tint that is very visible on white. But if that's not the case, I will definitely consider it for my white wagon! Doug

[quote name='Edvig']ih8vtec13: What color is your car? The clear bra isn't that noticable on a light colored car. The edges are a little more noticable on a dark car. You're not far from Lee's shop. You should take a ride out there when he's applying a clear bra.[/QUOTE] black, i swear im never going to buy another black car again, it looks so sweet but its such a pain to keep looking good. and i got a comment on the clear bra that was pretty funny, i got told its going to look like the car is wearing a provolatic:D

[quote name='red beast']how about carnuba waxing the car. do the edges show more afterwards? does it effect the film?[/QUOTE] Okay here is the deal on ALL colored cars. The film is not more or less noticeable on any colors. Some colors just hide it better due to angle of light and metallics in the paint. You can wash and wax the film as often as you like. It is actually recommended to do so. IF you wax then make sure not to get wax along edges of the film. The reason being is it will show more say on a black car. You cannot use anything abrasive on the film. Just waxes and polishes. The product is visible from a few feet away in most cases, but when you stand five feet away or you are driving behind that dump truck you are really going to see it, but you will care when you dont see any rock chips. :) Just a tad less noticeable that a black bra or bug deflector, LOL.

Fantastic Lee and thanks for the writeup. Sounds like you now have it very much sussed which is great news. So is there ANY paint exposed at all on the car now? And I hope that you didnt also cover the seats and only take off the plastic when good ppl are in the car....LOL Thanks again for the writeup. Adam.

[quote name='RockBlocker']Okay here is the deal on ALL colored cars. The film is not more or less noticeable on any colors. Some colors just hide it better due to angle of light and metallics in the paint. [/QUOTE] This is what I ment...Chad said it better and in a more complete manner. :) I have a silver Legacy and I can barely see the clear bra on my car.

[quote name='agctr']Fantastic Lee and thanks for the writeup. Sounds like you now have it very much sussed which is great news. So is there ANY paint exposed at all on the car now? And I hope that you didnt also cover the seats and only take off the plastic when good ppl are in the car....LOL Thanks again for the writeup. Adam.[/QUOTE] Adam...that was actually Chad at Rockblocker who provided us with that write-up. There are a few more areas I want to cover just to be safe. I'll keep adding to it between appointments in my spare time. I use the car as a rolling advertisment so it's nice to be able to show what can be done. This weekend I'll take some macro shots of my car so you can see the edges. Most folks don't even notice it's there until I point it out. If you're planning on having a rockblocker kit installed I highly recommend doing the headlights and fogs as well. I never covered the front end of my black 02 legacy, which I still have...big mistake. This spring, after my engine swap, I'm having the front end repainted, I'll toss a new set of lights in and I'm protecting the whole front end. -Lee

Nope. Took off the snorkus abouve the light, took out the light bulb. Then he blew air and took a bent wire, splayed the end to fan it out and removed the webs. There's some left stuck to the projected bulb but he couldn't get it off. I hope it'll burn up. It doesn't affect the light and you have to look for it to see it.

Archived