LegacyGT.com

Ride stiffens as cool weather descends?

jaycee

Is it my imagination or has anyone else noticed that the suspension is getting noticeably stiffer as the weather's getting colder. We've had some days in the low 40's and high 30's (Fahrenheit) and the ride seems bumpier. Maybe it's just me anticipating the onset of pot hole season.

welll what deer killer said is true but actually I feel like the ride stiffens even if its not that cold, I have a feeling that when I drive the car for a long period of time it gets stiffer, not sure why but that's how it is.

Well, I've owned several previous cars and this is the first one I've noticed this behavior on. So, logic suggests that this is not an unavoidable byproduct of the changing weather. Thanks for the constructive post anyway Deer Killer - true to form.

As it gets colder, what you're really feeling is the tires getting harder. Rubber hardens in cold temperatures. It's one reason I always say that snow tires are also temperature tires. Their softer compound doesn't get as hard in the winter. Metal (springs, etc) will get harder, but not harder enough to compromise ride quality to a noticeable degree. I'd speculate that it's the rubber that is mostly the culprit. Kevin

Kevin, good point, that could be it. The tires on my Subaru are the lowest profile of any I've owned and their increased stiffness in the cool weather could be making the difference. I also leave open the possibility that it's my perception and not reality. ;)

Actually,.what you feee is the density of the fluid in the dampers, esp in the rear which is inverted. Same thing is true on VERY cold days,..my issue with this is, that once the car is driven, it should get softer, as the fluid heats up. In extreme situations, the fluid will foam, causing it to be very bouncey. 944 turbo guy

[quote name='RaceComp Engineering']Actually,.what you feee is the density of the fluid in the dampers, esp in the rear which is inverted. Same thing is true on VERY cold days,..my issue with this is, that once the car is driven, it should get softer, as the fluid heats up. In extreme situations, the fluid will foam, causing it to be very bouncey. 944 turbo guy[/QUOTE] Hmmm. Good possibility. I thought of that, but my V7 STi dampers on my WRX wagon didn't alter their qualities based on temperature, so I presumed that the Legacy was also immune to such things. Kevin

im add my 2 cents and say its both. i have noticed it in my car and thought it was the springs. after a few miles it would ride normal again. so i think its gona be all the factors. stiffer rubber in the tires, shock oil density, and cold/ stiffer springs. also how about the bushings in the spring pearches. maybe they are harder to so the little bumps are more noticeable and noisy

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='gtguy']As it gets colder, what you're really feeling is the tires getting harder. Rubber hardens in cold temperatures. It's one reason I always say that snow tires are also temperature tires. Their softer compound doesn't get as hard in the winter. Metal (springs, etc) will get harder, but not harder enough to compromise ride quality to a noticeable degree. I'd speculate that it's the rubber that is mostly the culprit. Kevin[/QUOTE] Explains why my summer tires are acting a bit squirrely in our 40 degree weather.

[quote name='gtguy']Hmmm. Good possibility. I thought of that, but my V7 STi dampers on my WRX wagon didn't alter their qualities based on temperature, so I presumed that the Legacy was also immune to such things. Kevin[/QUOTE] well the Sti version 7 and 8 KYB's have alot more fluid capacity so the dampening is much better, and less effected by temp change, and heat from within.......... 944 turbo guy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived