LegacyGT.com

Speedo inaccuracy in MY07

Any body noticed their speedos over reading in the latest Liberty / Legacy?

In my '07 at 60km/h every thing is passing me and it feels slow. I have to do at least an indicated 65km/h to keep up.

The car is two weeks old and has done 400km only so I can't blame tyre wear and it's only going to get worse as they do.

Without an outside source to measure your vehicle's speed I don't know how you come up with the fact that your car is reading the speed inaccurately.

Using other cars passing you isn't really a good way to measure either. I mean, can you see the other car's speedometer when they're passing you? Even if you can see their's who's to say that their's are even correct? I bet you every manufacturer's speedometer reads differently.

I believe commercial vehicles always read a few higher. Keeps your real speed lower because you think you're already 20 over when you're really 12 or 15 over.

IIRC police cars have something that says "Police Calibrated Speedometer".

• 1 year later...

I have put an ecu reader on my 08 gtb, and it shows the speedo is reading high ~ 5%. WIll check it with gps soon. The previous Outback was similar, maybe a bit lower error. Hopefully one of them is right, would prefer it to be the speedo.

jp 08 gtb 6mt wagon

Same problem

Car speed compared to a GPS is miss reading correctly by 5-7 Km/h

So Since I have a GPS Garmin brand I observed the following result:

Car ------GPS

---------------------

60 ----54

70--- 63

80 ---75

100--- 93

120--- 112

135--- 120

All result is in Km/h

I believe commercial vehicles always read a few higher. Keeps your real speed lower because you think you're already 20 over when you're really 12 or 15 over.

IIRC police cars have something that says "Police Calibrated Speedometer".

%100 correct;)

Archived