LegacyGT.com

How to read compressor maps

AWDxBOOST

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the VF39 a P18? All I know is that there is a 18 stamped on the hotside.

The VF40 has a tiny hotside.

I have another spare VF40 on my workbench. I'll take pictures of it and try to find the stampings.

I think the P18 refers to the hotside casting and not necessarily the wheel size.
I agree. I have a VF30 and 40 and both dimensionally appear to be the same casting (couldn't find the casting #) but the turbine outlets are very different. The VF40 turbine exducer is ~38mm, while the VF30/34/39 is ~48mm, some 60% more area.

Kyle "BlackHole"

Kyle "BlackHole"

• 2 weeks later...

There is a good thread over on nasioc. He has the VF22 and VF23 compressor maps. The only thing that I disagree with is that he uses a constant VE (volumetric efficiency) of 85%. I think most engines breathe optimally (85 to 95%) in the mid rpm band and the efficiency is lower at idle and near redline. blackhole's VE in post #70 here seem to make more sense.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265801

How about this idea for calculating VE on our motors? It's simple and might give good ballpark results. The only change for LGTs would be to adjust the theoretical mass flow for boost - just measure boost in PR and multiply with the results in Eq#3.

http://www.installuniversity.com/install_university/installu_articles/volumetric_efficiency/ve_computation_9.012000.htm

Kyle "BlackHole"

Kyle "BlackHole"

• 3 weeks later...

I made an excel spreadsheet to overlay engine demand curves onto some of the compressor maps available (including IHI VF22, VF23, and VF24).

The spreadsheet is located here:

http://www.enginuity.org/viewtopic.php?p=18949#18949

I used BlackHole's volumetric efficiency for now. Eventually, I hope to be able to calculate it from datalogs using ride5000's method.

Using the aforementioned method (corrected for boost and metric units) on my dead stock 05 LGT 5MT the efficiency numbers test out as follows (a bit lower than my estimates in post #70):

rpm eff

2000 79%

2500 83%

3000 87%

3500 86%

4000 86%

4500 89%

5000 88%

5500 87%

6000 84%

6500 80%

avg 85%

These numbers are the average of 5 test runs WOT from 2-6.5k rpm in 2nd gear. The numbers were very consistent even though the loads did change a bit (some uphill, some downhill tests). Max airflow was 202 g/sec and max boost was 0.82 bar (11.9psi), which sounds about right for an LGT.

Kyle "BlackHole"

Kyle "BlackHole"

People with headers or modified AVCS tables can use the same method to come up with their own VE values.

Anybody have this data? Post away! I'll be happy to post the modified formula and variables to log if anyone is interested. I'll be rechecking this as I mod, but that won't happen for a few weeks at least.

Kyle "BlackHole"

Kyle "BlackHole"

Archived