LegacyGT.com

The new Mustang

Drove by a Ford dealer today, there was a new '05 Mustang GT parked out front next to an '04. The '05 looked so much more...badass, I guess you could call it. Of course, it wasn't *nearly* as badass as my '00 Outback.

I like the new look, too, the one thing that immediately struck me when I saw the old and new model side by side was the look like the 05 had "lost a lot of weight". It looks more like the 60's Mustangs, but has a really decent interior with plenty of room. It's now built on the LS frame, which means better handling as well. If I wasn't opposed to high-horsepower RWDs as daily drivers, I'd be very tempted. That, and the ever-present stigma of muscle cars as meathead status symbols, but that's just me.

[quote name='kb7']Drove by a Ford dealer today, there was a new '05 Mustang GT parked out front next to an '04. The '05 looked so much more...badass, I guess you could call it. Of course, it wasn't *nearly* as badass as my '00 Outback.[/QUOTE] A "badass" (sic) Outback??????:lol::lol::lol::lol: You're kidding, right? A Subaru Outback is certainly not even remotely a bad ass car. Come to think of it, neither is a Legacy.

[quote name='jedimaster']Saw one today too. It looks better than the shitbox they kept updating for 20 years. But it's still a Rustang :lol:[/QUOTE] So instead they update a 30-40 year old model? :lol: ...but it was designed by a Vietnamese guy so I got to give it SOME credit....unoriginal bastard.... :p

Hey! That Vietnamese guy's boss is J (no period after my initial because I'm so damn cool) Mays. Mays is Ford's answer to Chris Bangle - BMW's king of ugly. I like the front 2/3rds of the '05 Mustang. Everything to the rear of the B pillar is shit. I'm glad I bought an '04 Mach1 - 1 out of 1039 dark shadow grey ones instead of waiting for the new, plain GT. An aluminum block 32V V8 underated at 310 hp that's red lined at 6,800 rpm makes this great grandson of the 1978 Fairmont fun to drive. My Legacy is sophisticated, my Mach1 is for kicking the tail out and opposite lock. It's crude, loud (with an SLP Loud Mouth cat-back exhaust) and gets alot of attention. There will be no special versions or SVT models for at least another year. Meanwhile, the '05s are selling for a $2,500 - $5,000 premium here in Southern California. Be the first on your block! arcsine, Why are you opposed to high horsepower RWD cars as daily drivers? Don't you enjoy driving???:lol: Or, do they just scare you?

[quote name='STG']A "badass" (sic) Outback??????:lol::lol::lol::lol: You're kidding, right? A Subaru Outback is certainly not even remotely a bad ass car. Come to think of it, neither is a Legacy.[/QUOTE] Yes, I was kidding.

:D No replacement for displacement ............. [quote name='STG']my Mach1 is for kicking the tail out and opposite lock. It's crude, loud (with an SLP Loud Mouth cat-back exhaust) and gets alot of attention. There will be no special versions or SVT models for at least another year. Meanwhile, the '05s are selling for a $2,500 - $5,000 premium here in Southern California. Be the first on your block! arcsine, Why are you opposed to high horsepower RWD cars as daily drivers? Don't you enjoy driving???:lol: Or, do they just scare you?[/QUOTE]

I sat in a new Mustang GT today. What a difference! I still have an '89 5.0...the refinement is amazing. The shifter is actually smaller and has a shorter throw than my Legacy! The leather seating feels just like the Legacy's! Ford leather has always been nasty. The steering wheel is ugly and when the parking brake is pulled up, it is freakin huge (almost to your armpit it seems like). There is a little more room in the back seat than in previous Mustangs. The gauge cluster would take some getting used to and the speaker covers on the doors are huge. There was no "premium" or "adjustment for market value" here. The price with leather was $27,500...not too bad for a mid-13 second car. I'm glad I bought my Legacy. In the long run, I'm sure it wil have been the correct decision...

I looked at a base '05 Mustang while in CA last weekend and I thought it was fugly in person. I was really looking forward to seeing one in person after seeing the prototypes at car shows, but was very disappointed. Maybe the GT will look better...I hope.

I've always liked Mustangs, we traded a '98 GT on the Legacy, and I still have my '89 LX (just a gutted body w/narrowed back half frame and cage at the moment). I just could never get excited about that mod motor...

For you 'Stang lovers, I attached a pic of my '98 and the '89 in it's heyday...

1074336024_98GT3.JPG.0f6cf229efcf11b1360b8f6527466c0d.JPG

1729532052_89stangcollage3.JPG.869804fafc494e2e864bd4b5b013c722.JPG

If your mustang was a '03/'04 Cobra you would have gotten excited. Here is what it might have driven like, don't mind the sound that was just for testing. [url="http://www.teamstealthonline.com/movies/vid_vince01.wmv"]http://www.teamstealthonline.com/movies/vid_vince01.wmv[/url]

I was really stoked about the Mustang GT coupe after the concept came out. I am a classic car nut, and the partial fastback look of the 65-66 Mustang (and the concept's 68 cougar-esque wide tail lights) and the front looking like a cross between a 67-68 GT, and the 69 Mach 1, I was all over that. I even like the production model. Until I found out it has an oxcart axle. With an IRS, the next SVT offering might be a fun weekend warrior, and look good doing it. If the 05 mustang is the great grandson of the Fairmont, then it has also decended from the Falcon, and the Pinto. The new chassis is actually son of the LS/Jag S-type/retro T-bird/ and has not a single chassis component in common with the Fox/SN95+ cars. I had an 88 4cyl hatch in high school. I liked it because it was mine, it was paid for, and it wasn't a buick or something stupid. In hind-sight it was a slightly polished pile of parts. The new car looks much better, if Ford would just pull it's head out of the accountant's and drag racers' rears, and actually put a competent rear suspension for the 99% of the cars that will be driven on the marginally paved roads of this great nation, we might actually have something here. I need more doors, more room, and more winter ability than a Mustang GT, though, and I am much more impressed by well-designed, high tech stuff, than simply throwing more cubic inches worth of torque at the rear tires. Legacy GT/STi for me, please.

I was looking HARD at 03/04 Cobras before we bought the Legacy...but the whole point was to get into something with 4 doors that works in snow...and still has some performance. It's my wife's car, after all... I always wanted to do the PI headswap on the '98 GT, but never got around to it. Even the PI cars don't make torque like my '89 did. That car (with ported stock heads) went 12.50's @ 109 on the motor, and 11.60's @121 with a dry shot. If I were to buy another 'Stang, it would have been the Cobra. I guess I just need to put my '89 back together...

The new mustang is a great looking car and i wuoldnt mind getting one, All that aside its based on the 60's design guts some uptated looks and that is the easiest way to get peoples attention. I think that alot people who owned 60's mustangs, and younger people who feel that the that gen of mustangs are nice but too much work to have as a daily driver will be dying to get there hands on them. I realy would like one but my GT is too much fun to give up for some fad car that won't live up to expectations.

Nah, it sounds good. Rear drives are just a different setup, and if you know how to drive them, there is no issue. I have had two modified Mustang GT's in the past, both were nice daily drivers, both were a ton of fun, and both were cheap to mod and I could smoke the tires and do donuts, and the tires were not that expensive for being stupid in a parking lot. V8 power is always fun, and a blast to kick the tail out, but hell, I just came out of a 03 Corvette, which by the way I was greatly dissappointed in, noisy, crammped, uncomfortable, hard to get in and out of. I was greatly torn about getting a 04 Cobra from a friend that could not afford the insurance, and he had his dynoed with 360hp at the rear tires, stock, and that is a hell of a lot better than the 300 my Vette put out stock on the same dyno. Talk about an under-rated motor!!! You know what, the insurance was $100 a month more than my Legacy and the payment was $100 more a month. That is a lot of money each month, and plus you stand out and get pulled over all the time. I blast by in my Legacy and I don't even get a second look from the cops now. It wouldn't be so bad if so many kids were not wrapping mustangs around light polls all the time! The Vette got stolen much less than mustangs, and hardly got wrecked compared to mustangs, so my insurance on the Vette was $80 a month cheaper than the Cobra, and that was on a two seater that my insurance says runs the highest rates. With the stage two upgrade, and my all wheel drive, and my rear doors, this will be a low to mid 13 second car in the quarter easy, but I will have a better handling and more reasonable car for everyday use. My first 88 Mustang did 16.00 in the quarter stock, and my second a 96 Mustang did 15.4 in the quarter, so this car smokes both of those in stock respect, and has a great pull to it and is a blast to drive, and will be much cheaper to mod than those cars. I spent about at least $10,000 on each of those cars to get them the way I want and those years $10,000 was a lot more money than just today. I will probably spend a total of about $7000 on this car with Stage II, rims and tires, STI springs that I have ordered, and some sway bars when they come out. Just maybe, might do the Cobb brake kit up front! But don't knock the Mustang, in a lot of respects it is a lot of car for the money!

[quote name='ih8vtec13']The new mustang is a great looking car and i wuoldnt mind getting one, All that aside its based on the 60's design guts some uptated looks and that is the easiest way to get peoples attention. I think that alot people who owned 60's mustangs, and younger people who feel that the that gen of mustangs are nice but too much work to have as a daily driver will be dying to get there hands on them. I realy would like one but my GT is too much fun to give up for some fad car that won't live up to expectations.[/QUOTE] Let's work on your definition of "fad car." Do you really believe the Mustang, which has been around for 41 years is a fad car? Yeah, right up there with those other short termers like the VW Beetle and Model T. rodan, You were looking hard at 03/04 Cobras even though you needed 4 doors and something that works in the winter?:lol:

[quote]You were looking hard at 03/04 Cobras even though you needed 4 doors and something that works in the winter?[/quote] I've always been a Mustang guy, and that was lust talking...obviously reality won out :D

[quote name='STG']Let's work on your definition of "fad car." Do you really believe the Mustang, which has been around for 41 years is a fad car? Yeah, right up there with those other short termers like the VW Beetle and Model T. rodan, You were looking hard at 03/04 Cobras even though you needed 4 doors and something that works in the winter?:lol:[/QUOTE] I wasnt refering to the orignal car its modeled after i was refering to the new model, look at the thunderbird and how that went. fords marketing is creating a buzz with retro styling, and in a few years the buzz will dye out and they will make a totaly modern mustang. i say fad because it wont last in this style for long. i think it will be changed in about 3 years if its lucky, but hopefuly its wrong it is a realy sweet ride. btw i was never looking at cobras, the last car i looked at with an interest of buying was the 02 WRX and i stopped looking until the gt due to lack of funding, and the gt was the only car that i could afford, had awd, good power, and could fit a ST Bernard in the back seat comfortably:D

IMHO, price and lack of power killed the new 'Bird. If they had a 5/6 speed MT option, decent handling and 300+ hp it would have fared better with enthusiasts. As it is, it's just an expensive cruiser...

Archived