LegacyGT.com

Frozen windshield washer nozzles

Hard to tell what the specific problem. I used about a 1/2 gallon of blue stuff in nasty driving the other night. My entire wiper tray was full of blue snow and gunk. Night temps were below 0 degrees and I added the prestone yellow stuff in the morning. The nozzles haven't worked since and the temps haven't gone above 10 degrees to un-freeze whatever is causing the issue.

My Bosch Icons needed to be cleaned with rubbing alcohol before this storm but of course I forgot which caused me to use that 1/2 gallon of blue stuff and make a mess of the front of the car.

Nasty cold here in Colorado right now. :(

You guys need to make sure to read the jug. They make summer and winter formulas. Some won't freeze and some will. My cousin used to do this yearly, he must be 1/2 retarded. I'd get the call on the first really cold night of the year, "Hey my washer resivoir is frozen again." I'd just pull it in the garage and turn the heater on and it eventually melt. One year he took a jug that had frozen in the trunk, took it inside to thaw it so he could put it in car. Why he thought it would freeze in the trunk and not under the hood I have no clue. LOL

i put rubbing alcohol in mine (mixed with wiper fluid) for two reasons. 1) it makes for colder temps when used for the IC sprayer 2) lowers freezing point of the wiper fluid and does a better job at cleaning the windshield because it acts as a solvent. Also, any overspray evaporates in seconds and doesn't leave a residue on the unswept parts of the glass

I drove 130 miles last night in -13 degree snowstorm. Only towards the end of the trip did the nozzle start to show signs of blockage (funky spray pattern) But cleared itself after a short spray

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

That $4 bottle of stuff I mentioned up above was in fact rubbing alcohol. There's some other stuff in it too, but from the way it smelled when the nozzles were spraying, I think I could have just poured in $1-2 worth of alcohol and gotten the exact same results. :)

I just drove the 130 miles back tonight.. also snowing most of the way and not quite as cold, only 12 degrees.

I had much bigger problems with the fluid freezing on the windshield than the nozzles freezing up. And with temps this lowmoving at 40+ mph, I don't care how high you set the front defroster, it ain't gonna thaw unless you pull over for a few min.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 5 years later...

Alcohol FTW... and it smells great when it hits the air vents.. so you know its getting to the nozzles.

I never actually use the wipers/fluid until the car is on the road and warmed up. I always wipe it when I get close to my destination so that it will be clean for the most part when I get onto the road.

It's so cold that if you spray it immediately in this weather it will ice up right away on the windshield.. So far this year I've just been using the prestone and it's been fine.

I used isopropyl alcohol one winter 'cuz it was free from my employer. It attracted water and actually froze the lines. It also did a number on the wiper blades and window rubbers. The car was a junker anyway, but my point is I wouldn't use it again.

Yeah I avoid the Isoproply Alcohol for those reasons:redface:

This year I've been using a 50/50 mixture of:

#1 - Prestone De-Icer (-27 on the bottle)

#2 - AutoZone Standard Blue (-32 Rating)

We had a few weeks in Jan. where it was 0 & below 0 temps in the AM - and I had no issues with freezing. (Although I do think I have to clean the Bosch Icons, as they seem to be streaking lately:icon_eek: - but not enough to totally screw with visibility:p)

Archived