LegacyGT.com

Cold weather starting problem

LMW1216

I have a 1998 limited edition that has trouble starting after it sits for a while. The battery is new and works fine. The problem is when the ignition key is turned, it clicks once, and nothing else. I have to turn it a few times until it catches. When it does, it cranks and starts fine. obd code "PO335 Crankshaft Position Sensor “A” Circuit Malfunction" came up when I took it to the shop. I replaced the sensor, and still have this problem. Any ideas?????:icon_conf

1. Subarus dont like to start in the snow. Ive had 3 and theyre all the same.

2. Could be your starter. I replaced mine recently and its very easy, even for a non mechanical person and will only cost you about $90 if you recycle your old one.

I'm gonna say it's the starter.

My thinking is (and it's just a GUESS): You hit the key, the starter clicks and doesn't roll the motor over, the ECU is looking for sensor inputs and doesn't see them so it kicks back the code you saw.

Try this....

If you can duplicate the problem with the starter clicking, then turn the key to "start" (I wouldn't hold it on start for more than 15 seconds at a time) and have someone tap the starter...if it cranks it's the starter (actually it's the bendix binding).

You described your issue as having to turn the key a few times before it "catches"....during this time do you hear the clicking with every cycle of the key? If so, that's another one pointing to the starter.

Sounds like the starter solenoid. For most cars, this is now integrated with the actual starter motor and so I'll guess it's the same configuration with a Subaru.

Simple, cheap repair though having a dealer do it will be more costly (3 X?). Someone already posted that the part would cost ~ $100, maybe less with a trade in for the old.

• 2 weeks later...
It's me again............ I finally had a chance to tap the starter with the ignition on and wasn't cranking, no effect. It won't start when it's really cold or cold and wet outside. A tune up has been done recently (within 3 months) - plugs, wires etc. Does this mean it is electrical? ie. solonoid or relay? Does the 2.5 have a starter relay.

when i had my durango i had the same exact problem...it would 'crank' once and thats its, i would have to jiggle the key real quick too, it was the starter solenoid, on a subaru it may be an easy part to replace, on that vehicle though it was a tough one. so, basically if you have to jiggle your key to get it to start, i would say solenoid :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived