LegacyGT.com

I hate ice storms.

Yeah, seriously.

I just put my Tarmac III's on last month; insurance should cover a new one. The axle is shot, struts bent, nose, driver's front and rear quarters both torn up. Haven't gotten the insurance adjustor out there yet, but luckily the police report found the other driver at fault so his insurance will be paying for the repairs. I just hope the frame is okay. I don't know how fast he was going, but he beat the hell out of my car. At least no one got hurt.

Okay, so I was heading into work Wednesday morning, going about 20 MPH heading down a slope (wouldn't quite call it a hill). A Volvo is coming up in the opposite direction. He gives it too much gas and starts fishtailing back and forth. He shoots across the road and tags a Blazer, bounces off her and into me. I tried to feather the brake and bear off to the right, but couldn't avoid him. He probably hit me at about 20 MPH. He hit me in the wheel (scratched it up and broke the axle, bent the strut) and took the nose off. He skidded and hit my rear quarter panel after that, which sent me up the embankment that the car is sitting on in the cell pics.

It could have been a lot worse, I guess. None of the airbags were triggered, and if there was a guardrail or wall instead of that muddy embankment my roommate wouldn't be feeling too good these days.

You can fix the car, unfortunately you can't fix other drivers stupidity!

Last week, the 14th, we had a snow/ice storm. When I left work I95 was a compleye sheet of ice. No sand, no salt. I have never in my life seen such a cluster $*! I was travelling 15 mph white knuckled. People were passing me at 50 mph. Half of those cars were either in the woods or upside down furthur down the highway.

Those are the days I just stay off the roads. Somehow I have managed to work from home on icy days(even before telecommutting was common).

Ice is scary stuff no matter what winter tires you own on your car since cars are more likely to come a flying at you.

I wish I had the option of telecommuting, especially with the terrible traffic South Jersey has around the 295/42/55 interchange. I don't mind taking back roads in, but it would be nice if they were salted/plowed/sanded every once in awhile. Sure, getting rid of RE92's for Kumho Ecsta ASX's helped, but there was no way I could have avoided this chucklehead. Wrong place, wrong time I guess.

My office also had gone on delayed opening that morning; the crash was at 8 AM, but turns out I didn't have to be in until 10:30. Not that the roads were any better by then, but still...

Archived