LegacyGT.com

My disappointment grows

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picking my car up from the dealer today to fix that nasty drivers side dash rattle everyone has had. Had to get it in before the warranty was up. 100 bucks says it rattles within the first mile of leaving the dealer. That's what happened the last time it was in for the same rattle (different dealer).

I've never owned a car that rattled so badly. My WRX wasn't fantastic either and it was built by those hard working, industrious Japanese folk. My GF's '04 Accord is solid as a rock and whisper quiet.

• 4 months later...
I had the dash rattle on the outer edges of the dashboard. I got mad and took the pilar covers off. Took a drive and the rattle was gone. I figure the two prongs that locate the pilar cover to the dash slots was the issue. I put RTV on the two tabs and put a small strip of foam weather strip on the dash corner where the edge of the pilar came in and put it all together. I havent noticed that rattle since, but I did hear the next one...the battle continues. Its getting up there though-18,245 mi on my 06 LGT 5mt. I dont buy them to look at and dont want to put gas in that hemi 1500 qc in the garage. Have fun.

28K Miles. No rattles. Solid as rock. Drives faster (TDC stage II), smoother,

better than eva!

Scratches and dings (my kids baseballs, bats, bikes in the garage, I have

no doubt), ya, but I'll get'em fixed, maybe....don't bother me much anymore.

One glaring item: front bumper is way denuded, in multiple patches, in

a way that I swear has gotta be some defect in materials or preparation,

but dealer is stonewalling, so far.....

28K Miles. No rattles. Solid as rock. Drives faster (TDC stage II), smoother,

better than eva!

Scratches and dings (my kids baseballs, bats, bikes in the garage, I have

no doubt), ya, but I'll get'em fixed, maybe....don't bother me much anymore.

One glaring item: front bumper is way denuded, in multiple patches, in

a way that I swear has gotta be some defect in materials or preparation,

but dealer is stonewalling, so far.....

34,000 miles no rattles. I have the sames areas where the bumper is denuded. 1 is human fault(chain link fence), the other 2 seem to be factory defects. My dealer is repainting the bumper next week at no cost to me. I am not sure if this is warranty work, or just being taken care of by the dealer at their cost.

Fixed. My old 91 acura integra with 120K+ miles in her, built in the land of the rising sun, did not have ONE rattle. Ever. She was bullet proof for the 5 years I owned her, and I bought it with 90K miles. To this day I wonder if I made a mistake by bying the LGT and selling her. She was trouble free and paid off....but I wanted a new fancy ride.

I don't understand this attitude that "made in the USA" = crap. Many American factories (e.g. Nummi here in Fremont and others) are among the most efficient factories in the world putting out high-quality products. For example, the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix is produced at Nummi and it's consistently rated one of the most reliable cars on the road.

I would guess that most of the folks on this forum are Americans and Americans, in general, do very good work. At least I do at my job. How about you?

As far as Japanese cars, they do seem to rattle more than American or German cars, in my experience. In particular, I'm thinking of Hondas, Mitsus, Nissans, etc. which rattle a lot.

The 2000 Chevy Silverado I had was built here in the USA and didn't rattle and was extremely reliable. My Subaru has a few rattles that come and go, but overall, it's pretty good. My wife's 2004 Camry SE V6 rattles a lot going over bumps and is much worse than my Subaru in this regard. Since everyone thinks that Toyota is the god of cars, I'll bet that comes as a shock.

Evidently, one might encounter a rattle-trap lemon from any manufacturer. I've been lucky with my Subarus (5 over time), one Mazda Miata, one BMW 325i, and dang unlucky with one Volvo XC and one Mitsubishi Montero.

Im up to 2000 miles now and im really starting to wonder if i made a bad choice. Right away i have had the famous interior rattles, My radio loses its presets whenever its cold and today i washed my car to find a bunch of bad scratches on my hood from snow sliding off i guess....i mean come on ...do they paint these with oops paint from Home depot. I have had cars with bad paint but so far this one seems to take the cake...look at it wrong and you have a scratch right thru. I originally wanted a mazda3 hatcha and im starting to think i should have waited and gotten one.

one word dude

garage

Archived