LegacyGT.com

Yakima or Thule?

Decay

i have the yakima system for my boards. it's great, although i drive a freelander at the moment. i got the 'big air' ( i think that is what it's called ) mount .. the one where the racks are lifted up on one side so you can hold 4 boards. i haven't had a problem and am pretty happy with it, but my freelander has bars already on top .. dont have any experience mountin on a car.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either. I got square bars for my wagon just because I already had Thule rails from a previous rack. Yakima's are round. Just make sure whatever mounting system you get minimizes or eliminates having to go inside the door with the footpack. You'll get air noise at higher speeds and potentially some whistling. An alternative might be a trunk mount system that you can easily take on and off, especially if you're not boarding on a regular basis. Good luck!

If you get the Yakima, I think it will whistle. Someone on this board installed it on his wagon and got the whistling. The solution was to wrap a bungee cord around it in a spiral so that it would change the airflow. I've always owned square bars like the Thule ones. Never had problems with whistling.

From your avatar it appears you're talking sedan - but one deciding factor for me with the wagon was that the Yakima bars didn't lock whereas the Thule ones did. I realize a well equiped thief could remove either one but it gives me a little extra comfort knowing the bars are locked on.

get a fairing and you wont hear whistling. Any rack system (yakima or thule) will create noise if you dont have a wind fairing. The discussion of yakima vs. thule has been discussed many times on mountain bike forums (mtbr.com). General consensus is usually about 50/50. Both are great brands and liked by any who own them. I own a yakima system and wouldn't have it any other way.

[quote name='jaycee']... but one deciding factor for me with the wagon was that the Yakima bars didn't lock whereas the Thule ones did...[/QUOTE] The Yakima bars do lock. You buy the lock cores separately from the towers, bars or whatever accessories you need, but each tower certainly does take a lock core if you want... That will lock the bar to the tower and the tower to the car. If you're interested in the Yakima setup, I posted the info from Yakima in a prior post.

Guest JessterCPA
I did not think Thule made a system for the Sedan. I thought Yakima was our only option. I have a full Thule setup at home that I used on my Civic & Jetta. If they now make Legacy adapters, I have to make a run to the store.

I haven't looked at options for the Legacy yet (I'm getting a GT wagon), but I have both a Yak and a Thule system. (the Yak wouldn't fit my wife's 2001 V70 wagon, but Thule did) I like them both. They've both got their strong/weak points, so it's really a coin toss. I think you'd be happy with either one. Take a look at the various accessories, see which ones fit your needs the best, compare and go from there. Stores like REI have both in stock, so you can see the stuff in person first.

[quote name='foerster']The Yakima bars do lock. You buy the lock cores separately from the towers, bars or whatever accessories you need, but each tower certainly does take a lock core if you want... That will lock the bar to the tower and the tower to the car. If you're interested in the Yakima setup, I posted the info from Yakima in a prior post.[/QUOTE] Actually, no, the Yakima bars for the wagon do not lock. Multiple dealers I went to and the Yakima online fit guide itself shows that for the wagon the EZ Rider foot pack is used and it does [B]not[/B] accommodate locking cores. I emailed the Yakima folks directly and they confirmed that the Yakima rack and bars for the wagon do not lock. That said, I have not investigated the sedan so that could be a different story.

So the wagon feet don't lock? Well, that's it for me then. My Yak crap is useless, between my wife's Volvo and the GT wagon. Thule it is then. Which, like I said, is fine. The engineering of the Thule pieces seem a little more elegant (as in simple). But thanks for letting us know the results of your legwork on Yakima. Actually, thinking about it a bit makes me not want to recommend Yakima. First, they said they did not have a solution for a 2001 V70, and would not offer one... it "wasn't possible" with the Volvo's roof design, they said. Well, gee... Thule can make one. And now with the Leg GT wagon, they have a design that can't be locked to the car. Not too impressive.

I have a thread from last about my Thule ski box hits the wing on my 05GT Wagon. I lay a towel on the wing when I open the hatch. I'm waiting for Thule to sell the Sedan kit so I can buy that kit also and use half of it and half of the wagon kit. That way I can move the Summit ski box further to the front of the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived