LegacyGT.com

FXT v. LGT v. LGT Spec.B

Enjoi

60/40 ? huh?

Are you talking about the sedan? If you are cross shopping the FXT, a much less nice car IMO, you should be looking at the LGT wagon. This car is a lot bigger inside, better looking IMO, and a level above the imprezza/forester in refinement - maybe two levels. If you want a MT car, though, you have to find an 05, because that's the only year the MT wagon was available.

His first post states he's more in the market for a new, not a used car, and most of what he lists are new cars except for the MY03/04 Cobras and if he wants a MT, then finding a not used MT 05 Wagon will be a tough search for him.

I owned an 04 FXT and now own a 06 Legacy GT. If I had it to do over again I would have kept the Forester. Few other cars do everything it can do: excellent ground clearance (forest roads!), cargo space, total sleeper, amazing snow traction.......and if you ever do absolutely need to carry something bigger than a set of ski's the forester already has roof rack and looks much better with a hitch than the LGT. I like my LGT, but when you give up an FXT, you gotta give up something! I accidentally jumped a 2 foot ledge in my FXT, drove through water that literally came over the hood and went through a muddy soccer field past stuck 4x4's with "mudders". All of this with no ill effects. I miss her!

A big advantage for the FXT is that it shares the same intake manifold as the WRX/STi, and uses the same type of turbo (but not an identical turbo) as the STi, and the same type of top mount intercooler. So, modding the engine will be easier and cheaper with the FXT.

One negative is that, because it is supposed to be a hauler, its gearing is shorter than the LGT, so if you do a lot of highway driving, you'll be revving higher in the FXT than the LGT.

One peeve I have with the FXT is the steering wheel. I'd try to change one out with the LGT or STi if I bought one. But otherwise, I really like the FXT. And sport suspensions from Japan can be had which greatly improve handling without making it look overly dumped (which looks kind of silly with an SUV). Plus, you have a double DIN opening, so your choices of aftermarket ICE are greater than the LGT.

I agree with almost everything you said.

The FXT responds very well to mods. A FXT with the VF39 from the STI + STI topmount (both direct bolt-ons) + turboback + tune is equivalent power wise to a stage 2 STI (and will probably be quicker due to the shorter gearing).

The gearing can be annoying on the highway, but man can this thing get off the line in a hurry! The 2004-2005 FXT actually has 4.44 gearing :icon_excl , while the 2006-2007 I beileve has the 4.11.

I like my steering wheel, the only way I would like it better is if it had audio controls :).

I have an 05 FXT, and an 07 Legacy 2.5i sedan. While the Legacy isn't quick like the turbos, it is such a cruiser. Nice interior, better looking then the FXT for sure, way better then the Impreza which I had before the FXT.

IMHO the FXT interior has a more "function before form" approach to things. There are more cubbies and you just aren't as worried about snowy/muddy feet and such. I also have more personal space in the FXT (sholder and headroom), whereas the Legacy has more of a tightish cockpit feel. When I get out of the FXT and into the Legacy, I feel like the roof is just too close. I can really feel a difference in the handling department too.

The FXT has a tippy feeling stock for sure, but just a few reasonable mods, like larger sway bars and better tires and you will really start to feel the advantages of the shorter wheelbase, and just how tossable this car can be, far more so then the legacy. And speaking of mods, sharing the same platform as the Impreza, you can make a Forester a real force to be reckoned with fairly easily, handling and speedwise. The advantage of the Legacys ride is it's much quieter and refined, so what's your pleasure?

Here's the thing: Not everybody wants/needs the same thing. You guys like the ground clearance of the forester, but I hate it - I dont drive through forests, so, um, all I get is the big disadvantage of having a tall vehicle, and the resulting poor handling dynamics.

I agree that the GT is a much better road car, and the interior is much nicer.

Here's the thing: Not everybody wants/needs the same thing. You guys like the ground clearance of the forester, but I hate it - I dont drive through forests, so, um, all I get is the big disadvantage of having a tall vehicle, and the resulting poor handling dynamics.

I agree that the GT is a much better road car, and the interior is much nicer.

Here's the thing: we are all aware of your disdain for the Forester from this and other threads, but since when did this thread become about you? The OP asked for opinions about the FXT, and we were providing them.

Here's the thing: we are all aware of your disdain for the Forester from this and other threads, but since when did this thread become about you? The OP asked for opinions about the FXT, and we were providing them.

nvm. plonk

I did suggest that he should choose what _he_ wants. I never said you foreter folks were stupid or made the wrong choice.

My FXT is lowered about 2 inches. It was a fairly simple mod, I never did it before and I did it myself (Thanks Peaty!).

Having a huge aftermarket means you can make a Forester whatever you want it to be. Some put lift kits and aftermarket front and rear bumpers on to improve approach and departure angles, (granted mostly down under), but that just speaks to how versatile it is. Crazy stuff!

The thing is this vehicle is built on a hugely successful (if dated) rally provin platform, and being a wagon it is a bit better balanced then the car it was derived from, not to mention that even though it is a bit heavier then say a WRX, it's lighter then an STI or LGT. OK it's taller, so what, after some minor suspension tweaks, it's a wash.

You're right, you never said that anyone was stupid or made the wrong choice, but what you did say and your tone had the presupposition that this was the case.

Is it so hard to believe that anyone would find the Forester a better match for their needs, and still be fun as hell? You say the LGT is a much better road car, some would say that the Forester is a better commuter because you do sit up a bit higher, bigger windows, ergo better visibility, being smaller and geared as low as it is, cuts through traffic like a Ginsu, could even be more comfortable for some people who like a little more head and elbow room. Whatever.

Excluding the Outback, Subaru sells almost twice as many Foresters as Legacy's, and almost as many as the Outbacks. Can all the 50k people a month who buy Foresters have completely missed the Legacy's and/or Outbacks?

I understand and respect that you prefer the Legacy, but when someone is looking for what would suit them, contribute what you know, and don't be completely dismissive to what could be considered to some as a better match.

It's not a contest dude, as long as he gets a Subaru, it's all good! :icon_cool

It's not a contest dude, as long as he gets a Subaru, it's all good! :icon_cool

1+

/Thread :icon_cool

As for myself, we own both a Legacy (07 2.5i) a Forester (04 XT) and a few odd Imprezas (94 Rally car, 95 OBS, 96 OBS)

Every car has pluses and minuses.

The Legacy has a great interior and wonderful driving dynamics, if you don't mind being disconnected from the road.

The Forester is a complete beast, even in stock form it is a force to be reckoned with. However the interior is rather spartan, the exterior is homely (when stock) and the ride is , well, it's tipsy feeling (feels tipsy but never is) again though it has wonderful driving dynamics (what Suby doesnt?) and you really feel connected to the machine and the road (the legacy feels like you are along for the ride whereas the Forester puts you in control)

The Imprezas, well those are workhorses.

-Ben

Wa wa wee wa! Looks like I have stirred the pot quite nicely. This thread has absolutely exploded with responses and I am very grateful! Everyday I learn something new about these machines thanks to all of you.

To me, it seems like the FXT is looked less favorably upon by those who do not particularly care for the body styling and bland, while those who enjoy the FXT praise it's sleeper performance and positive response to modifications.

I think at this point in time, the pendulum has swung back into Forester territory. I know it has shorter gears, but I've never heard Mustang/Cobra owners complain about 4.11's on the freeway, so I think I should be okay. Also, many people mention that it has a tippy feeling, but I have never felt this in my brother's 07 Forester. It comforted when Honda mentioned that although it feels tippy, it never is. I can handle a car with body roll in stock form, provided I know I won't roll the car.

I think thats all for now.

Thanks,

Matt-

Test drove both, friend has a regular Forester.

Liked the view and seating position of the Forester.

Didn't like the looks, softer suspension, and steering that felt lighter and slower.

Since I've gotten the mod bug, realized that most of the problems of the Forester would have been solved.

However, I have carried a bunch of things in the Legacy (8 foot long boards, christmas trees) and slept in it with the rear seat folded. None of which I could have done with the Forester.

In addition, I've done a couple of track events that they wouldn't let an SUV participate in for insurance purposes, evening a lowered FXT. Strange I know, but their hands were tied based on their insurance company/EPA classification, no exceptions.

With that said, I'm glad I got the LGT, spending extra money on mods and not having as good a driving position I can adapt to.

However, I have carried a bunch of things in the Legacy (8 foot long boards, christmas trees) and slept in it with the rear seat folded. None of which I could have done with the Forester.

How would I not be able to keep a longboard or Christmas tree in the Forester. Also, I was able to sleep in my Mustang with the rear seats folded as well (before I took all but 1cu of trunk for my subs). Not the most comfortable bed I've ever laid in, but it sure as hell beats driving while in sleep dep.

In addition, I've done a couple of track events that they wouldn't let an SUV participate in for insurance purposes, evening a lowered FXT. Strange I know, but their hands were tied based on their insurance company/EPA classification, no exceptions.

The Forester has no problem carrying boards, ladders etc..... without having to use the roof rails, and because it is basically a box on wheels it has no problem carrying dishwashers, clothes driers etc, something that my demo Outback cannot do (the rear hatch opening was not tall enough) Sleeping in it is not a problem either.

As for classification, the 04-06 were listed as passenger cars, SCCA and every other group I have been with gave me grief until I pointed that out on the VIN tag, no problems afterwards, but I am not sure about the 07's.

Edit:

FWIW I prefer my wifes Legacy for DD duty, but the Forester is basically a race car without a roll cage :lol:

Edit #2: Ever carried 2,000 pounds of dirt and rocks in the back of your LGT? :icon_wink

Well, I fit in the LGT with the seats folded in back. Forester was about five inches too short for me. I don't know, there is a bunch of human height/ceiling height stuff that barely fits lengthwise in the LGT, I guess you could fiddle with them enough so the 10 inch shorter Forester could handle them as well inside.

Forester works for those bulky items though. Came close to not fitting in some tables because of the lack of height issues, especially in the hatch area that's a couple of inches lower than the ceiling height.

*EDIT* Hatch opening on the LGT wagon appears to be a inch taller than the Forester! Hmmm..

LGT wagon specs:

A: 39" wide lower gate opening

B: 43" wide mid-gate opening

C: 48" wide top of wheel wells

D: 42.25" wide between wheel wells

E: 33.50 " height opening at gate

F: 29-31" interior height depending on where you measure

G: 43" length with seat folded up

H: 73" length with seat folded flat

Forester Specs:

A: 36" width at bottom of gate opening

B: 53.5" width at floor

C: 41.5" width at wheel well, see D

D: 37.5 width at cargo hooks in wheel well

E: 46.5" width at middle of gate opening

F: 53.25 maximum width at side rails at cargo cover (not shown)

G: 13" floor to top of wheel well or bottom of cargo cover (not shown)

H: 31.5" floor length to back of seat

I: 62" floor length to top of rear seat when folded down flat (max depends on front seat position)

J: 32.25" height gate opening bottom to top

K: 34" height floor to ceiling center of floor, see L

L: 31" height floor to ceiling's low area where the rear shoulder harness retracts

Have carried ~1300 pounds in the car max so far, pea stones for a patio I was making out back.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I've re-evaluated the situation, and I think I've settled on an E46 M3. It somewhat goes against everything I thought I wanted, but after talking with owners, I've changed my mind. I really hate to resurrect this thread, but I figured I'd say thanks to everyone who gave some kind of input.

Matt-

Archived