LegacyGT.com

Good summer tire recommendation

jmn69

Hello,

I have some winter Blizzak LM25's on my ride right now and am considering getting rid of my RE92's for some summer tires on the stock 17" rims.

I need some summer shoes that have great rain/wet capabilities as well. I considered the Bridgestone 960's but figure since I have the winter wheels I may as well get summer specific tires if they will perform better.

I feel bad not having VDC in my car after seeing all those videos on youtube of the non-vdc/esp equipped cars loosing control and want to optimize what I can with the best tires. I really appreciate your input. Thanks.

John

please do a search, many have started a very similar thread such as yours and many answers have come about from it.

As for car control, I rather not have VDC.. I like having full control of my car, namely I like to have my pointed in the direction that Im about to go and I'll drift around a corner if I have to.. I dont want the car to do the driving for me.

Keefe

I dont want the car to do the driving for me.

However, you are probably one of the few on this forum who can claim to be a truly exceptional driver. Some folks (surprisingly, I'll admit) might know their limitations and want the added safety margin from the fancy drivin' computer.

-

Jim

Put on 18" Goodyear F1s about 3k miles ago. Outstanding grip wet or dry and no perceived ride harshness increase over the stock tires. Bonus tasty looks based upon co-worker comments.
:icon_idea Eat your fresh berries every day. Good for 5 hp.

So far I'm pretty satisfied with my Yokohama AVS Sports....haven't really had a chance to push them yet but so far on familiar roads they're far better than stockers and AVS ES100's I've had previously. Also, they're on clearance at Tire Rack, making them a good deal;)

If you want an all out summer tire with the best dry grip and street legal, get the Azenis RT-615's. I have driven on the Goodyear F1's, Toyo T1's, and the RT-615's and they were by far the best. When I auto-x'd with them I was amazed at the level of grip they provided, and they didn't complain one bit. The toyo's were alright, but this is how I would rate them, RT-615 > Goodyear F1's > Toyo T1's. The only problem you might run into with the RT-615's is the wet weather performance, in that case I would probably give a edge to the Goodyears.

I'm in the same boat with LM-25 on now, but I'll be sticking with Bridgestone due to being able to get a really good deal on them ... So I'm planning on picking up RE050A PP in 225/45/17

Tire got really high marks in Tire Rack reviews. A hint - you can get about the same price that TireRack offers for Bridgestone tires in Firestone stores INCLUDING mounting and balancing. I paid something like $580 for my 4 LM-25 w/ road hazard program out the door. :)

How about the BF goodrich g force series? Any good?

$800 is overpriced for the LM25's from firestone. I got them from tire rack mounted and balanced on 17" alloy wheels for $990 delivered to my door. Seems like a better deal.

John

I've used Eagle F1's and Azeni's pretty extensively for track events that were non-R compound only. The Azeni's are tops on the track, I don't think you can do better than those, period. However, the Eagle F1's are very good on track as well, while providing a quiet/soft ride on the road and also seem to push water really well in the wet. I'll probably go with the Azeni's for my summer tire on the Subaru, because that's the type of driver I am, but I think the F1's are probably more appropriate for the purpose of the Legacy.

Good for you.

When I was checking LM-25 pricing from local Firestone place they quoted me 800USD. I passed.

Krzys

You have to negotiate, but the deal can be had. In my case, I had an in at the shop, but it wasn't just a "one-time friends-only" deal. I've swung that deal about three times in two months and he thanked me for the business!

Im currently running Toyo T1-R, good dry grip, not the best if you want to do serious track or mountain driving with lots of high speed curves, great wet traction

Yokohama AVS-ES100s - slightly better dry grip, very good wet grip, my tires got noisy as hell after 20K miles tho

Bridgestone Pole Position S03s - excellent dry grip, great wet traction, however EXPENSIVE and they also got noisy as hell after a while.

Fuzion ZRis which are basically the same thing as Bridgestone RE750s i think - pretty good dry but again not competitive in really aggressive driving, but cheap, good treadwear, reasonably quiet and good wet traction. decent value budget tires.

Ed

If you want an all out summer tire with the best dry grip and street legal, get the Azenis RT-615's. I have driven on the Goodyear F1's, Toyo T1's, and the RT-615's and they were by far the best. When I auto-x'd with them I was amazed at the level of grip they provided, and they didn't complain one bit. The toyo's were alright, but this is how I would rate them, RT-615 > Goodyear F1's > Toyo T1's. The only problem you might run into with the RT-615's is the wet weather performance, in that case I would probably give a edge to the Goodyears.

Do the RT-615's add much dd harshness over typical summer zrated tires?

^ personally, it's not as bad as you may think, it's actually beneficial driving over those potholes around DC because the Azenis have one of the stiffest sidewall constructions around.. noise wise, yes, it's louder, but nothing like turning your radio volume to past 5 to drown it out.
Keefe

The Ventus are just as good, I've been beaten by a set before in an autocross, they can sure handle as well.. in terms of heat control, the new Azenis can take a beating before they overheat.

I dont recall many people using the Z212s for daily driving.. I personally havent had problems driving the Azenis RT-615s in the rain while they are more than half-tread... I use my Azenis on the track during wet conditions. Not only that the rain keeps them cool, they sure do a much better job siping water than the old Azenis RT-215s. It's nice for once that I can pass Porsches and Exiges and some Vettes in the heavy rain on the track when Im on the Azenis.

Keefe

I'm in the same boat with LM-25 on now, but I'll be sticking with Bridgestone due to being able to get a really good deal on them ... So I'm planning on picking up RE050A PP in 225/45/17

Tire got really high marks in Tire Rack reviews. A hint - you can get about the same price that TireRack offers for Bridgestone tires in Firestone stores INCLUDING mounting and balancing. I paid something like $580 for my 4 LM-25 w/ road hazard program out the door. :)

This IS the tire to get.

You have to negotiate, but the deal can be had. In my case, I had an in at the shop, but it wasn't just a "one-time friends-only" deal. I've swung that deal about three times in two months and he thanked me for the business!

I tried. They told me the tires were special order and no deal.

I ended up 2 months later buying Dunlop SP5000 from another local tire store (I know, not winter tires but decent AS). 440USD out the door mounted, balanced.

Krzys

I tried. They told me the tires were special order and no deal.

I ended up 2 months later buying Dunlop SP5000 from another local tire store (I know, not winter tires but decent AS). 440USD out the door mounted, balanced.

Krzys

Man, that sucks. Bad shop. My tires were special order too. None in the warehouse at the time. I had to wait 2 weeks! (Then again, I ordered in the middle of October, so it was no biggie).

Archived