LegacyGT.com

eibach springs?

slip304

I've been through these threads a few times now and I"m still not 100% clear on which springs will fit our legacy. Which springs will swap out with the legacy's? The sti pink springs will right? but They seem to cost double what I"m used to paying for springs. I've seen eibachs for the sti's and wrx's for $200-ish. I've had eibachs on my last 2 cars and thought they were pretty good. Will these fit as well? I dont want to sound cheap but ALL the parts for the legacy seem to be sky high in price. Any input would be great.. Thanks a bunch.

The reason that STi stuff is spendier is because it is made for one car, the car that it is offered for. My last Eibach spring experience was on a '98 Legacy GT wagon. The springs were supposed to lower the car something like 1.2" in the front, and roughly the same at the rear. Instead, I got tucked wheels, with about 1.75" of drop all around. I called Eibach, as obviously the ride quality was horrid, and they said that the excess drop was "within spec." I made a note to never again buy another Eibach product. The STi spring is an OE-quality offering that will work perfectly, and last the life of the car. It is made with performance paramount, rather than looks mated with performance, which explains the minimal drop that the STi springs offer (about 3/4"). If you want more drop, or a balance of cosmetics and performance, consider another spring set. WRX or STi stuff doesn't fit the new Legacy. The pink STi springs that people are referring to are Legacy-specific, and further, specific for sedan and wagon applications. Kevin

Normally, I definitely dont skimp out on just doing a spring swap.. especially when it's a set of springs that werent researched and developed enough to give the car the proper drive and performance.. most companies just give you the look.. and a lousy drive set up.. you can talk to ground control and you can order a specific set of sleeve-type coilovers and a specific spring dimensions.. that is more acceptable to the GT IF YOU DO YOUR HOMEWORK.. remember you save money if you know what you are doing and know what to look for, otherwise, just like everyone else, gotta pay up for the right parts. I am sure after some research and more development, I can post up exactly what you would want from Ground Control and you can order the set of sleeve-type coilovers for yourself. It will still run you about $400+ for the set.. but at least you know it will work to your street driving use for looks and better ride control.. but just like any low cost, under develop springs, expect to replace your blown shocks earlier... if you see that your shock is wet from water or something, but it hasnt rain for days and all the roads are dry for days, you have a leaking and blown shock. That "water" is really shock fluid leaking out. Keefe
Keefe

Through my contact at SOA Eibach is currently designing a set of springs to work with the exisitng struts for the USDM Legacy. I have known this since my purchase in June... I don't feel that this set up is worth the wait cuz they will use the stock dampeners. On the other hand, I have a set of these coming to me. They will be here by the 27th curtosey of Paul Hansen of Apex Japan and AVO Turbo world. I will do a full report when I get them in. [img]http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/suspension/hipermaxdamper/img/lsp_title.gif[/img][img]http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/suspension/hipermaxdamper/img/lsp_m.gif[/img][img]http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/suspension/hipermaxdamper/img/space.gif[/img][img]http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/suspension/hipermaxdamper/img/lsp_image_02.jpg[/img][img]http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/suspension/hipermaxdamper/img/space.gif[/img]

The HiperMax Series are all good, most of them are one-way adjustable, so becareful about the pre-load on the springs. I don remember if the LS+ are two way or not.. website loading... [url]http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/suspension/hipermaxdamper/hm_index.html[/url] [url]http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/suspension/hipermaxdamper/list/subaru_list.html[/url] Seems that they 1-way adjustable, with a similar spring rate as the STi Springs (slightly softer in the rear by 50 lbs/in). If I am reading this website correctly, the drop on the ride height isnt crazy amounts either (20mm drop front, 36mm drop rear).. You should be happy about them, let us know how you like them. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Drift Monkey']If you want to put it that way Kev, then they were specifically designed to work with teh JDM struts and putting them on USDM struts might cause an under-dampened situation. Nobody knows yet though...:D[/QUOTE] Or oversprung. You're right. But I would trust STi before I trust Eibach, which admittedly is my bias from a bad situation talking as much as my implicit trust in STi/Fuji Heavy. Kevin

I want to hear how they go to. :D I was originally planning to go with Eibachs on my car, apexjapan2 has them on his previous gen twin turbo, which I've driven many times, and they are fairly impressive. Maybe a bit hard for a totally street driven car, but I am intending to put some competitive track time in (31st - hill climb, next month at the new Fuji Speedway) and I wanted something I could get good solid performance from at the circuit. Eibach has not yet made springs for the new Legacy yet, so I ended up with Swift. My views on those are well known, very good shall we say. But not cheap. Most, if not all, of the cheap options (springs that are almost always on sale here in Japan) tend to go away after about a year of usage. I experienced that with a set of Ducuattro's, which were good springs, but started to sag after about a year of my driving (which is a bit abusive to suspension systems, I admit). Coilovers are a good option as well, but many types require more frequent maintenance than just damper/springs, which may be off-putting for some people. Coilovers were/are really meant for people that want to do track racing, not as a street solution for lowering. Even if that is what they end up being in most cases. Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.avoturboworld.com[/url] [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url]

Oh, and Paul, thanks for all your hard work. Just to let you know, Paul and Ross from AVO Turboworld have worked with me on this for about two months. We isolated what would be the best solution, and Paul moved quickly to get them to me. We both agreed that above getting new springs/struts I.E JDM Bilstiens it would be more cost affective to get the Coilovers. Takeing into consideration that I will be tracking this car (eventualy) and be using it for a daily driver. So, I would need to adjust the settings VS the static spring rates. I also purchased the front and rear links just to clean up any extra slop the stock links have. The LS+s should give me the balance between performance and luxury that the Legacy should provide. More to come when they come in. If you guys are lucky, Paul should have a good contact to get some more for all that want them. B4

Thanks for everyones input. I think I'll simply wait this out and see what other options pop up in the future. My car will very rarely see a track and will be 99% street (daily driver). Eibachs-$200 compared to sti's-$400. I"ve had Eibachs and had good results in the past but wouldn't say I'm not bias toward them. I just want better performance and improved handling but cant justify the added $$ at this point due to what I see as supply and demand. It seems as though many of you will be hitting track regularly so going the extra mile for parts makes sense. Thanks again.

Archived