LegacyGT.com

PICS: Upgraded headlights (Osram Hyper and Toshiba HIR)

GTS Jeff

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to say - I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not - but no, I'm not on any flashlight enthusiast sites.

^ Not being sarcastic at all - those really are excellent shots.

The reason why I asked you if you were a flashlight enthusiast is because typically, the only really, really good beam-shots come from those members. It's one thing to remember to photograph cut-off sharpness as well as to do a close-in side-by-side comparison of color-temperature and intensity, but not many remember to look at such (very important) things as "throw."

Usually, it's only the flashlight enthusiasts who take multiple shots at multiple distances, with multiple scenarios - and all the while remembering to keep as many photographic variables as constant as possible.

:)

I'm not the sarcastic type.

However, I am a confessed multiple-flashlight carrying nerd. :D:redface::)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Well thanks. If I had to do it again, I would have used my Canon SLR and a focal length similar to our eyes so that the perception is similar too (isn't it around 65mm?).

...and the only flashlight I use with any regularity is a head-mounted 8-LED light. It's not much for "throw", but the battery life is excellent & it works well enough for messing around on the car at night, camping or taking walks with the dogs after dark.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

• 6 months later...
......Instructions on trimming, but don't worry, when you order from rallylights.com, the material to remove is clearly marked with white-out. I used a pair of nail clippers then smoothed the surface with the file on the back.[/size][/font]

http://shnu.us/HIR%20Trimming%20Stock.htm

In addition to reducing the width of the tab, I also filed a shallow rectangular notch in the tab, to duplicate what was on the OEM 9005 bulb. The notch makes a difference, because you can feel it dropping into a detent on the mount as you install the bulb.

• 1 month later...
Rallylights doesn't seem to be up anymore or at least hasn't worked for the past few days? Anyone else know of a place to order the OSRam +65 Rallye lights? I don't trust eBay. Daniel Stern/Candle Power currently charges almost $30 a bulb. I'm sure they can be had cheaper?

FYI, I confirmed with Daniel Stern, same bulb, poor description. I say Sylvania and was worried they'd be a poorer product. IIRC, Sylvania is now a subsidiary of OSRAM?

Since he's been so helpful, I'm buying from Stern. Call me a sucker if you will :)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
I went with the Toshiba HIR high beam bulbs (9011 replacement for 9005) and have a pair of Philips Xtreme Power H7 bulbs, stated as plus 80%, on back order.

http://www.xp-lamp.com/images/background_home.jpg

Philips Xtreme Power +80% xenon bulbs

Thanks to new technology developed by Philips, drivers can see and be seen like never before! X-treme Power headlamps project up to 80 per cent more light on the road ahead (depending on the type of head lighting unit used in the car).

The light is powerful and intense, and the extra quality and quantity of light provided by X-treme Power lamps make them ideal for drivers who want their cars to stand out in a crowd, while ensuring driver and passenger safety is of the highest priority.

X-treme Power is fully homologated for use in all European countries without restriction as replacement for conventional lamps. It is compatible with most head lighting units, including today's modern complex-shape headlights

• Philips X-treme Power delivers up to an astounding 80% more light than standard halogens,
  • DOT legal and come with the same quality and performance we put into the lighting we sell to OEMs around the world.
  • X-treme Power is a new “must-have” for motoring enthusiasts and high performance drivers.
  • Interchangeable with existing H4 and H7
  • Legal for road use and safe to use with plastic lenses

Here’s what Auto Express had to say about Xtreme Power:

This is so new, we could not randomly select test samples, so can’t include it in our assessment. Yet performance of our pre production unit was staggering. Even compared with the current benchmark Plus per cent bulbs, the difference was immediate and dramatic. Philips claim an 80 per cent improvement over standard units, but we think that this is conservative.

The results have been achieved in the same way as the 30 and 50 per cent lamps-by taking the allowed tolerances right to the edge. This time though as well as reducing the filament and burning it hotter, Philips has shrunk the glass casing.

As a result, the gas pressure can be increased for better light output. Engineers have also optimised the geometry and shield position to focus the light where it is needed.

So I was pretty close to ordering the Philips X-treme Power +80 H7 bulbs for my dad's Outback from powerbulbs.com but before that I stopped at my local Meijer. They carry this item for 49.99. Bought a set yesterday and got to install them. But of course I grabbed the H7 packaging and start to unwrap them and I see HB5/9005 bases. Either somebody did a grab and switch or it was a packaging mistake. Either way I exchanged them for the right bulb and the difference between the stock H7 Philips bulbs in there and these is pretty great. These also happen to give off a whiter light, not much as yellow as regular halogens. While they be a bit expensive, from what I read, these are brighter than HIR bulbs as well. Overall, money well spent. Question is will my dad notice the difference.

Archived