LegacyGT.com

Test Drove a Legacy today... Very Impressed and Interested

I know and love power too. My daily driver is a 5mt '05 Si Wagon.

Not exciting in the engine bay, but more than adequate. While lacking power, the engine is pleasantly torquey, smooth and flexible. I average 27+ mpg on regular.

As far as handling an Si is fine, if a bit wallowy (for me). I installed a JDM rear sway bar (20mm instead of 16) and when my original tires were halfway down, I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. Car is now tight, neutral and incredibly responsive. Couldn't be better.

I say go for the SE and enjoy it--2-1/2 years, 60K miles and I still love my car.

Most of the time power is just potential anyway.

P.

I personally made a huge jump from an '02 5mt WRX making about 300 hp to an '05 Legacy 2.5i with the auto tranny. I would have chosen a manual, but this one came up up with a price I couldn't beat.

Obviously, you'll notice the loss of power, although for me, it was nice getting that extra displacement bump and low-end torgue, so I rarely notice it. (Coming from a VQ is obv. a different story...) But quite honestly, the power is more than adequate, and the car is still snappy enough, while having no issues at/above highway speeds.

I wanted a newer car with lower mileage, more comfort for a commute, and a better look. My wife wanted a lower payment, less gas expense, and lower insurance. It succeeded on all fronts. The GT was more car than I could afford on all fronts, or realistically, needed anyway.

I don't miss the WRX at all. And I certainly don't need the power for normal driving either...just the AWD. Don't hesitate to make this purchase.

--->DJ

--->To be fair, I have a 300rwhp Silvia for the weekends, though...

Hey man, I can totally relate to your situation:

I drove Maximas all my life... i had an 1986 then a 1993 then a 1996 then a 1999 Limited edition. I loved them and knew them backwards and forwards... a few months ago i was in the market for a new ride and i decided to break out: I bought a 05 LGT limited with 23k on it... it has way more getup then the maximas.. it also has this uncanny ability to go from 80 to 95 in a flash where on the maximas if you were doin 80 on the highway and needed to pick it up a bit to change lanes or something the acceleration just wasnt there at that speed. I am most impressed with the LGT and glad i bought it. I am in the back woods of NH so i have alot of long twisty roads that the LGT just hugs delightfully... some of those roads are dirt and rarely get plowed in the winter and the AWD in the snow is 100 times better then the maxima with a set brand new blizzaks... IMHO you should grab a GT because you may say you dont need the power but come on, you're a guy, you will be wishin you did.. and if you were accustomed to the SE line of maximas then you'll definetly want to find a "limited" ver of the LGT that way you can have your moon roof, leather, and such. hope this helps.

I am surprised you didn't test drive the Legacy GT coming from a 225 hp Maxima w/5sp. Like others have said, test drive the LGT. I mean go right now and test dirive it!!
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

I have owned both, a 05 GT 5 apeed, and now a 07 2.5 Limited Auto.

The 2.5 gets smoother with time, and the gas comsumption is definitely better. It does lack some of the get up and go of the GT, but it is not a slouch either.

If anything I say look at the 2.5 Limited instead of the SE. It gives you so much more for not that much money, and they are thing that you will use on a daily basis.

I do miss my GT from time to time though, and given the choice, I may have just leased my first car.

X

---

I recently purchased an '07 Outback 2.5i with a 5-spd, coming from a 2001 Maxima SE 5spd. I can tell you that I am totally happy with the purchase. On the hi-way and local driving, the 175hp with the 5spd is more than adequate 99% of the, even when comparing it to the 222hp Maxima.

I do miss the extra oomph when I need to accelerate fast onto a hi-way. The only other significant difference I have found is that when rounding an intersection which requires slowing down to 10-15mph, in the Maxima, I could keep it in 3rd-gear while in the Outback 2.5i, I need to downshift into 2nd-gear to be able to accelerate after the turn at a moderate pace.

Well guys... What can I say, this forum seems to be wealth of information. I did not expect this thread to be at three pages deep when I logged on just recently.

I will drive the GT, just to drive it... But rest assured that I will buy the SE. It comes with everything I need. Power Drivers Seats, Moonroof and so forth. The extras you get with the Limited are not necessary to me but surely nice. I have grown to HATE leather regardless and will steer away from it.

Thanks again for all the responses. Coming from a paid off car (purchased cash) to actually making payments is the only thing holding me remotely back at the moment. Apart from that I am SOLD. Saving on gas and insurance (if you can believe that) will make a huge difference and are pushing the tide towards getting the Legacy. I mean the savings are considerable.

My insurance would actually go down $198 per 6 months. (that's considerable).

On the gas front, even if the Legacy gives me the same MPG as the Max which I foresee it will not. Should be better. Just the change from Premium to Regular is a savings of $4 per tankful... The difference by me between Regular and Premium is like .38 cents.

In the reliability front, Consumer Reports raves about the Legacy... Can you guys jump in and tell me how reliable it really is, also what would the resale value be 5-6 years down the line? How much of a reliable horse is this POwertrain?

Thanks again, everyone. This forum should be a GREAT home if I make the JUMP.

Archived