LegacyGT.com

"E/T" not always showing up on electronic display

danHA

Since day one, most of the time, the estimated time on my clock doesn't show up. The display just shows dashes instead of the time. Once in a while, the display works, but most of the times, it's just dashes. Is this common? And if not, any solutions?

Thanks for any help.

Daniel

You know how the Elapsed Time works? You start your engine and it tracks how long you've been running. When you shut off the engine it automatically resets to 0. If you make it to an hour it will flash. OK?

Yeah, that's the problem. Most of the time, it doesn't track the elapsed time or estimated time. There are just dashes. All I see is "-:--."

In the 06 loaners I've had, if you turn the key to the on position, wait for the gauges to complete their sweep, and then start, the E/T would work. It seemed like if you rushed this process, E/T would remain ---.

Two things work to fix it.....the dealer will replace it under warranty due to the TSB already mentioned, and if you train yourself to give a brief half second pause when turning the key from on to start, it'll work.

It's a simple fix for the dealer, there's no major dash surgery or anything, so they really shouldn't screw anything up.

In the 06 loaners I've had, if you turn the key to the on position, wait for the gauges to complete their sweep, and then start, the E/T would work. It seemed like if you rushed this process, E/T would remain ---.

You don't even need to wait that long. Pause for a quarter second between "On" and "Start" and the trip timer will work fine.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Archived