LegacyGT.com

Blizzak LM-25's

jmn69

I jumped the gun and got a set of these and some cheap 17" alloys with no TPMS from Tire Rack. Set me back $990, ouch.

Now I've been reading that the Bridgestone 960 pole position A/S are as good as the LM-25's in ice and snow. And almost as good as summer tires on dry? What gives? I thought all seasons were supposed to be a crappy compromise? Maybe I should have just stuck with A/S on stock rims and not wasted $ on a totally new set of wheels?

I live outside of Philly, Pennsylvania. We get some moderate snow a few times a year. Opinions?

John

I dunno. Im up in Canada, I just bought 960s yesterday for the reasons you mention.

Apparently technology had increased to the point where good A/S' are close to summer tire performance and pretty good in light winter.

Well see!

Still nothing compares to dedicated winters and summers, they will still outperform A/S tires generally.

I have the 960's and absolutely love them despite the fact that they flatspot in very cold weather (under 20 F) after sitting for a few days... they handle very well in the snow. As for summer performace, check out the Road & Track review of the 960's as compared to other summer only tires. It held its own very well...

I have the 960's and absolutely love them despite the fact that they flatspot in very cold weather (under 20 F) after sitting for a few days... they handle very well in the snow. As for summer performace, check out the Road & Track review of the 960's as compared to other summer only tires. It held its own very well...

This morning was my first morning with the 960s and indeed they flatspotted (-30 C !)

I live outside of Philly, Pennsylvania. We get some moderate snow a few times a year. Opinions?

John

Water under the bridge

Interestingly I am going to buy some RE960 A/S for my WRX currently running some used Nokian NRW(old school WR's) I picked up last year. I want to see if they really can manage the winter (I am sure should come by then) in March/April. I plan on getting some RE960's for our LGT before next winter season if they work as well as toted by people.

I'm lovin' my LM-25, and if you swap the tires back and forth, you're paying about the same price in the long run. I'm 90% certain I'm going to pick up RE05APP in the spring for my summer tires. I If I run winter tires for 5-6 months and summer 6-7 months, it all comes out in the wash. I'll still get about 30,000-40,000 miles out of each set of tires.

I can't speak to the 960's, but I put the LM-25's on this year and I've been really impressed by them. I live in CO where we've really gotten dumped on this year, and between lots of fresh powder and the thick ice sheets created by melt/freeze cycles, my car has handled great, ABS has only kicked in twice (versus constantly on the old RE92's in 2" of snow & ice). I expected less out of performance snow tire, the LM-25's have really impressed me.

Probably depends too on how hard you drive your car in the dry summer months. But at least now you have some winter rims to chew up and keep the stockers clean for summertime!

• 6 months later...
.......Now I've been reading that the Bridgestone 960 pole position A/S are as good as the LM-25's in ice and snow.

Yeah, the 960AS are almost as good as the LM25 on ice, according to Tire Racks test. But they did not test snow traction, and the LM25 may have a bigger advantage there. Nor did they test traction on cold, wet pavement or cold, dry pavement.

Also saw on the TR site that the Blizzaks have a $50 rebate through Oct12.

Archived