LegacyGT.com

Extended warranty worth it?-Yes.

Noob question: can you buy an extended warantee on a used LGT? I am almost at 3/36 and would like to extend....

my 03 Forester had about 30k on it and i decided to keep it. i went to where i bought it and they gave me an extended drivetrain warranty to take it to 60k for about $500. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I just went through the same question: a 05 gt wagon nonlimited manual, imported this week to canada from u.s., nearly at end of 3/36. No problem adding the warranty through any u.s. subaru dealer, and try to call around to get a significant (30-40%) discount off the Subaru extended warranty. I just got a quote from business manager Luke Higley at Stacy Subaru in Vermont: he quoted me for the Gold Plus extended warranty 6yr/60 000 miles, $660 for the 50 deductible, $750 for the 0 deductible. Any higher mileage warranty adds a turbo surcharge and of course more cost. I haven't completely decided whether or not to go for it, but he was willing to do all of the paperwork and transaction by fax/email.

Noob question: can you buy an extended warantee on a used LGT? I am almost at 3/36 and would like to extend....

did you buy it new?

you can get a gold, classic or powertrain if you bought it new. if you bought it used, you can get the classic or powertrain warranty.

"if you are not the originaly owner of the vehicle, you can not purchase a gold warranty plan.

I will get the details of the classic and post them shortly.."

This didn't seem to be an issue with any of the dealers that I contacted regarding adding a Gold Plus extended warranty: they understood that I was the 2nd owner, just purchased, and all they wanted was a copy of the bill of sale with an up-to-date odometer reading.....

This didn't seem to be an issue with any of the dealers that I contacted regarding adding a Gold Plus extended warranty: they understood that I was the 2nd owner, just purchased, and all they wanted was a copy of the bill of sale with an up-to-date odometer reading.....

if it is less than a year old, the dealer might be able to sneak a gold warranty in on a new car plan, but if the car is a couple years old, Subaru will probably catch it and send it back.

their guidelines say that only the originaly owner of the vehicle can purchase a gold plus warranty on a subaru vehicle.

There are used plans and new plans. unless they try to sneak it in under a new car plan, they have no other way of doing it.

Classic Coverage quick overview:

A/C

Brakes (master cylinder, ABS, calipers, etc)

Cooling and fuel (Radiator, engine fans, water pump, fuel pump, etc)

Steering (rack, internal parts, Univ joints, pump)

front suspension (struts, transverse links, shafts/bushings, ball joints, wheel bearings, etc)

electrical (alternator, ignition coil, starter motor, wiring harnesses, EM, powe locks/sunroof/windows, heater blower motor ,etc)

Engine (block, cylinder heads, internal lubricated parts, camshaft, oil pump, etc)

tranny (transaxle, torque converter)

AWD (final drive housing, rear diff assembly, axle shafts, control arms, hub bearings, etc)

Towing and rental car (up to $50 for tow of a covered part failure, up to $30 per day rental of a $150 max for each disablement)

Classic is a good warranty and does cover many things. This was just a brief summary of some of the things. The brochure has a couple of pages of coverage.

Guest subiecity
no kidding. subaru doesnt offer anything over 100k that i remember and definitely nothing that is $6,000.

hmm im really interested now why mine was soo much extra let me go read/find my paper work now hold on

Guest subiecity
yea guys i f'ked up big time, i went thru alll my papers now and briefly read thru it, im covered only to 100k miles for warranty, and i got a service contract that was an extra 15oo or so, my bad, the 6k was service contract, taxes, all the fees and alll the extra bullcrap that was an extra 6k

Wow! Thank you! Can you actually sell me one? I have a bit to go before I need it, but my inclination would be to buy from a dealer that's active with the community...

I appreciate all the detail!

Sure, just let me know when you are ready and we will get it figured out..

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to tell from the my.subaru site that my car has the extended warranty or not? I bought the car used from a non-subaru dealer and am trying to find out.

I do see a:

My Subaru Added Security Plan:

Subaru Added Security Gold Plus Plan

Under the Subaru Added security tab.

i doubt you have a subaru extended warranty if you purchased from a non subaru dealership.

i am pretty sure you have to be a subaru dealer to be able to offer the subaru extended warranty. there are a ton of other warranty companies out there. you should have some sort of contract with some info on it when you purchased the extended warranty. if not, you can contact the dealer you bought the car at and they will have that info and contact numbers.

warranty has to be transferred from one owner to the next to still be valid. there is a form and about a $40 fee to do that. if they dont do the transfer, the warranty is just gone.

they must either transfer or cancel the extended warranty if they trade/sell the vehicle. Most people will cancel it when they trade because they get the prorated amount back in a refund.

• 2 weeks later...

Not all warranties have to be provided by SOA, and there are some decent third-party warrantors out there (someone mentioned Major Guard, I have United Car Care, based in Colorado). I recommend doing a bit of local research before you pick one. Laws vary by state so coverage amounts, limitations and cost structure will differ depending on where you live. Many warranties explicitly exclude turbochargers so if you're worried about that be sure to read the fine print.

I bought the 'Platinum' coverage plan on my 07 LGT for 8yrs/120k from the dealer for $1900, which I negotiated from something like $2300. Dealers can be slick with their "magic math" - something you learn when your dad's a career car salesman. UCC even provides 24 hr roadside assistance, which I guess is nice but SOA and my insurance do that, too.

I swear by extended warranties after my experience with my previous Subie, a 99 LGT Wagon. The coverage was only 3yr/36k over the purchase mileage but it more than paid for itself. Sometimes I drove that 4 speed AT like it was SportShift, and once while fighting rush-hour traffic in Van, BC (they don't have left turn lanes there!) I dropped it into first to gun it from the right lane and forgot to shift up. I red-lined for about 45 seconds straight without realizing what I was doing. My music was blasting, windows & sunroof were wide open, and hey...sometimes I'm an idiot.

I later found out that I'd blown a chunk out of my head gasket so coolant was leaking into the cylinders somewhere. The car drove fine besides running a little hot from time to time, and I had to dump a gallon or two of coolant mix into the radiator every couple tanks of gas. The warranty covered the replacement as part of the "seals and gaskets" coverage clause, and I even got them to replace the timing belt for cost of parts and 1 hr labor. $3700 in repairs became $2200, including the original cost of the warranty. I only paid $300 (deductible + timing belt) after the mishap, which was super convenient.

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Archived