LegacyGT.com

Headlight adjustment

Pman2g

Ok, Ive done research and saw the manual pic how to adjust the headlight height but I cannot find the damn screw to adjust it. Could it be that there is a cap over it? In the spot I think it should be, there is a metal cap like thing that is round with like a bolt head attached. It spins freely so its not threaded in. Do I have to remove this in order to get to the adjusting screw? It was cold and late so I didnt feel like trying to get it off. Thanks for any help.

it isn't a bolt that threads in or out...

it is a bolt head with gear teeth on the other side, and it drives a worm gear, that adjusts the headlight.

The bolt may not move in or out, but you are indeed adjusting the headlight. It is a good deal of gear reduction, so a long turn doens't move the headlight all that much, and allows precise aiming.

It's not covered. It's the silver-color 8mm hex head with big flat washer that's just inboard and a little low of the big round caps that cover the bulbs. You'll need a small socket to get in there, as threre's not a whole lot of room to wrench on it. I think it's the only silver bolt head around that area.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I had the same issure; lower springs = bad headlight orientation (which state safety inspector didn't like...)

I did adjust the lights but they need further attention. Can anyone give me a good, general guideline for how high the beam should be. E.g. put an object "x" feet away and have the top cut off approx "y" feet off the ground.

Thanks

Laws vary state to state. Checking with an inspection station is a good idea. If the headlight aiming fails inspection, then what is needed to fix it for a sticker?

A good rule of thumb for low beams is nothing even approaching horizontal. Pulling a number out of my ass, I think the beam shouldn't hit the ground more than 100 feet away. I'm completely unsure about the distance, but I think the standard is how far away on the ground the beam reaches. If your headlights start out above the height of a trunk, a good rule of thumb is hanging yourself.

Archived