LegacyGT.com

silver FTL!

groff

silver, what a horrible color to try and paint or have painted. i tried painting the lower valence part of the rear bumper myself, looked good, just not an exact match so that was a downer, until i got backed into while sitting in the car and swirled the paint on the front bumper, got a quote from the dealer, guy paid me that day to have it fixed. so i went to a different collision place, removed the bumpers myself and had them both painted for less than the guy paided me for, except even though i paid extra for color matching, the hue isn't exactly right and its going to be one of those things that bothers me until it gets fixed. :icon_roll

probably can't tell with a camera, but when i get some new batteries i'll take some pics, esp of the lower valenence portion for the worthy internet judges. if i just keep a dirty car then you can't really tell, but a dirty car gives me a nervous tick or something :lol:

well, there are only 2 options up here in the north country, but even the dealers center couldnt gaurentee the color. and the reason is i paid less is because i did the 2 hour labor fee of removing and installing the bumpers myself. they know how to spray, they're a very professional center, just something i notice in the sun I suppose, maybe my hood isn't the right color :lol:

I would take the car back to them and make them fix it, if you paid for color matching and the colors dont match they didnt do what you paid for. If they are a good shop they will make sure their customer is 100% satisfied with the results.
^ n00bs below this line

modern metallic basecoats are not matchable panel to panel; so basically if you took your door off and painted the exact same color of the car, when you re-installed it, it wouldn't match.

metallics now have a lot of mica---a dry powder that provides metallic effect---and anything from paint gun psi to barometric pressure to the angle at which the painter applied the base will effect the paint color; especially side-tones----which is the color as you look down either side of the car.

the way body shops avoid these issues is to blend the new color into the existing and surrounding panels; it's still slightly different, it's just harder for your eyes to detect....

aside from taking the whole car in and having them blend the paint, there really isn't much you do about it....

btw, it's not uncommon for the OE paint on 1 side of car not match the other side....wierd....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/TomRitt/104_0897.jpg

Thats the only decent pic from when I pulled into the shop earlier this week not really a good one but o well, there wasn't enough room for a pic of the rear bumper and i covered with crap from the plow last night so no dice on the pics today. I'll probably head to the painters on tuesday to see if they can do anything-

Archived