LegacyGT.com

Vibration at 75.. Uncle..

alegacy

Ok folks.. for 17k miles I have endured a vibration (similar to unbalanced wheels or bent rim) at 75-80 mph... Nothing before, and it gets even worse above 110.

The dealer has rebalanced the wheels, removed the tires, checked the rims for true/bends multiple times. I have had snows and summer tires on and off the rims 2x, and every rim has been on a different corner of the car, several times.

The car has been aligned (it initially pulled to the right like everyone else's)

So what the heck is it? Drive 3 hours and the vibration through the wheel puts my left hand to sleep..

Anyone else out there with a similar issue? If so, how have you solved it (what was it?) or have you?

Thanks for the help.

On the rotor front.. there is no shudder (even minor) under braking.

On the tire front, every tire (original and 4 snows) have been on every corner of the car several times by now, 2 tire shops, and 2 dealers have all balanced the wheels/tires multiple times, check for round, and checked rim true.. and report all is well.

This is so consistent independant of wheels and tires that I am thinking halfshaft, hub, suspension... anyone out there have and 'odd' experiences?

I had a rotor problem with my A4 - I tried the same things as you, but noticed this at different speeds. It turned out that, while I didn't feel like there was any vibration under braking, after the rotors were replaced, I immediately noticed the car was far smoother under braking than before.

Bottom line, you may have a rotor problem even though it doesn't seem to vibrate under braking - maybe the frequency of vibration is such that you don't notice it.

Or, it could be something else . . . . =\

Archived