LegacyGT.com

LGT Successor... for me at least

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Solstice is built like typical GM crap, and the engine is rough (although it tubo form it is powerful). If that type/size of car appeals to you the S2000 is what you should be looking at, IMHO.

Just go out and spend a weekend driving cars, and don't pussy-foot on the test drive, drive'm like to stole'em and see which one appeals to you. Opinions on this forum are like, well you know, everyone's got one. What I may love to drive you may hate, and vise-versa.

My favorite cars for everyday street with some track driving: Honda S2000, Porsche Boxter S, Mini 'Works' Cooper S & WRX STI.

Vipers, Corvettes and such are powerful, but not much fun on the street because to extract thier limits takes more than one should ever attempt on a public road.

I like lightweight peppy cars, although thier 0-60 numbers are nothing to brag about, they are fun to drive. In my opinion anything weighing more than 3500lbs is not a sporty car.

Solstice is built like typical GM crap, and the engine is rough (although it tubo form it is powerful). If that type/size of car appeals to you the S2000 is what you should be looking at, IMHO.

Just go out and spend a weekend driving cars, and don't pussy-foot on the test drive, drive'm like to stole'em and see which one appeals to you. Opinions on this forum are like, well you know, everyone's got one. What I may love to drive you may hate, and vise-versa.

My favorite cars for everyday street with some track driving: Honda S2000, Porsche Boxter S, Mini 'Works' Cooper S & WRX STI.

Vipers, Corvettes and such are powerful, but not much fun on the street because to extract thier limits takes more than one should ever attempt on a public road.

Just make sure you keep the S2000 above 6000 throughout the whole test drive. This way can feel some of its power that only comes in between 7500 to 8000 rpm.

Just make sure you keep the S2000 above 6000 throughout the whole test drive. This way can feel some of its power that only comes in between 7500 to 8000 rpm.

Yep, wring that sum-a-bitch out! Like I said, drive it like you stole it! Simple as that.:icon_bigg

I couldn't recommend the S2000. Like the RX-8, you need to keep the RPMs very high in order to draw any power out of the car. For simple putting around, it would feel powerless and weak, just as I said about the TL - for a fun sporty car... well it's kinda like tucking your junk between your legs.

If a s2000 is what you seek get one with a few miles that someone else has already sunk his money into.....

As a example this could most likely be had for 28K or maybe a little less.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-S2000-2006-Honda-S2000-Catback-Exhaust-EX1-Alarm-JL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6253QQihZ020QQitemZ300071606773QQrdZ1

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

good ideas. i wouldnt mind a convertible but i wonder if i bought a two seater id have to get rid of it as soon as i settled down. id like to buy a car knowing ill keep it for a while.

anyway, ill test drive them..

price wise... i could swing payments maybe to 30k but of course id like to avoid that if possible. getting a check from insurance for about $25k.

i was looking at a lexus SC, previous generation, or even prev. gen IS into which you could put a 2jze-gte when you start having problems. but i dont know how soon id start having problems

im trying to get something that will keep me happy for a long time to come. powerful, good handling, reliable, and not a big gas guzzler but of course thats the cost of the game.

Miata if you want a car that is slow and skittish over long sweeping turns if the road is anything less than perfect. I found it has a tendancy to become unsettled much easier than the honda or the prosche. I can give credit that both those cars cost more $$.

f you autocross, the miata is a good car for short tight tracks, but to me it just lacked the 'it' thing that you get from a boxter s or the s2000. Maybe it is the lack of power (and yes I have driven the newest version with the larger engine), or just the way the engine responds. It is a tossable car though. Now if mazda comes out with a turbo'd version of the newest car then we would be talking. A light car does not need huge power, but at least enough to get out of its own way. Miata owners are fanatics about the cars, me, I have never really goten it.

I second or third the vote to look at an 06' GTO with the 6 speed. 400 hp out of the box and pretty good fuel economy on the highway. I have a friend back in Missouri that has one and he was getting 26-27 mpg last time I talked to him. By the way the car is insanely fast for the money, especialy up top.

I like used 911s. They are supposed to be pretty reliable, but for your commute, you'd probably want something more reliable.

The only non-boring, reliable, non-Subaru car I can think of would be the S2000. Or maybe a used G35 coupe.

Also, a used 3 series BMW might be a good choice. I've had two, and they both had electrical problems the first year, but were problem-free after that.

but it is a pontiac.... I can't believe it will hold its value either.

No it will depreciate more than some of the others, but it will also show any other car metioned so far it's tail lights on all but the tightest twisties roads.

Sometimes you need to buy a car based on it's merits as a machine for the money you spend. Any car is a horrible investment, if you are worried about loosing your shorts lease the damn thing.

Well, usually the best time to buy a car is not when it has stopped production :) I am sure for the merits the machine is a beast, but I can't believe (unless you keep it for a while) that buying a used/new GTO would be in your best interest. Then again, driving fast past everyone would be pretty killer...

I second or third the vote to look at an 06' GTO with the 6 speed. 400 hp out of the box and pretty good fuel economy on the highway. I have a friend back in Missouri that has one and he was getting 26-27 mpg last time I talked to him. By the way the car is insanely fast for the money, especialy up top.

It only has two drawbacks. It is made by Pontiac, and it is ugly.

BTW, the other day I saw a Smokey and the Bandit II-vintage Trans Am on the road that appeared to be in "like new" condition, with the blue (meaning old) California plates. Reminded me of when I was a kid and loved those cars, although I preferred the Smokey and the Bandit I Trans Am.

How about a subaru sports coupe, awd, turbo flat four, good looks...oh wait...thats right subaru does not make anything like that.

It is hard to choose cars because they are such a compromise, the only ones that give you most of what you want always seem to cost more than you can afford. Sure, porsche, great sprots car, BMW M3, again great car, AMG Merc, again great cars, but the cost of the car, and ownership, is more than most can, or are willing to bear.

Archived