LegacyGT.com

STi Pinks on 06 Spec B

Deepwoods

I got my pinks installed at Rallitek here in PDX on Monday. Three words: I love them.

Here are some before and after photos, pardon the mixed quality.

Profile view, before:

http://www.secure-digital.net/SoWa/Re-size/IMG_1048.jpg

Profile view, after:

http://www.secure-digital.net/SoWa/Re-size/IMG_1063.jpg

Watch out for your front lip/spoiler on curbs/parking.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watch out for your front lip/spoiler on curbs/parking.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2149/img0673wd5.jpg

My car is dropped about the same amount (on Swift springs) and luckily i never had a problem with my front end clearing most curbs (only the steep nasty ones with a dip, and i have an sti front lip attached!) and even with the front lip on, it clears all normal height parking blocks in parking lots.

Ed

Which kind of Pinks did you specifically use? GT/SpecB/MT/AT? There are 3 part numbers for fronts and 4 for rears.

The front dropped more than expected which might be because of your heavy 6MT transmission. I also start to suspect that SpecB aluminum control arms have different geometry that affect the ride height in front, but I might be wrong on that one.

Wasn't one of the STi pinks (GT or Spec B specific I forgot) a little bit taller than the other? Maybe that is the reason why we see different drop on the USDM Spec B Bilstein? I am also looking into getting a set of pinks, but these GT/Spec B specific stuff and what not are really confusing...

Not 100% sure which pinks I got... I ordered them from Gruppe S and was simply told that they are "JDM GT Rev C pinks".

The fronts:

ST2033021000 (2 orange paint dabs)

The rears:

ST2038021000 (2 white paint dabs)

From looking at http://www.thel7.com/pn.html it looks like they should be JDM GT AT pinks. All I know is, I am thrilled with the drop, handling, and ride. I truly appreciate all of the recommendations on going with pinks.

Vimy: So far, like Ed, I have been OK regarding clearance. My friend has an '06 GT on stock springs and my car sits *maybe* a little lower than his, but mostly it just looks lower because of the new wheel gap. Regardless, I am more careful now. :)

Ed: I want your new brakes.

• 3 weeks later...
^ Gottcha. I love the manners of the OEM set up for my purposes. Comfy yet still pretty damn nimble. I was heading down the expressway last night at about 70 mph and suddenly spotted a nasty pot hole right in front of me. A quick flick and I'm out of harms way and left amazed at how agile the Spec.B is and that's with my ContiExtreme 215/50-17 winter set up.

I came from racing STi's and Supra's. The Spec B ride is mushy in comparison, to say the least. The worst part is the body roll for me, personally.

Coilovers + Cusco F&R Swaybars + Cusco F&R underbrace + F&R strut bar would be a good start. I don't think springs alone will get you near an STi with a track set up.

I'm not looking to do that much. Just springs for now. The pinks look like the best option at the moment. I might do the underbrace and strut bar just to keep body roll to a minimum, but I don't want something as harsh as what I had in my previous cars.

Will upgraded swaybars have an effect on the ride quality?

I'm not looking to do that much. Just springs for now. The pinks look like the best option at the moment. I might do the underbrace and strut bar just to keep body roll to a minimum, but I don't want something as harsh as what I had in my previous cars.

From what I've read, one of the main advantages of the inverted Bilsteins is their resistance to lateral force inputs vs conventional struts.

I only upgraded my RSB, but there was a very minimal change in ride. What happens (at least with a thicker, solid bar like my AVO), is that you are really coupling the L and R sides of the suspension together, thereby reducing a bit of the "independent" nature. Under most circumstances, it is not noticeable. On very rare bumps, I can tell that a bump hit by one wheel is causing the opposite wheel to move too (even though it didn't hit it).

It doesn't happen very often, and I think I've stopped noticing now that I have had my sway for several months.

I, too, am considering the front underbody bracing. I think it would compliment the stiffer springs nicely.

As many others have said in other threads about the pinks, they ARE sitffer. But I love how tight the car feels, it is infinitely more nimble now, and pulls waaaaay harder in the corners. Oddly enough, it almost seems harder to get VDC to kick in with these springs. It seems like the suspension is better able to generate vice-like grip with this setup and therefore you have to really hit a turn hard (with a LOT of "Gs") before it starts to slide (and thus VDC fires up).

I was coming from lowered/stiffened suspension on my last two imprezas so when i picked up my Spec B new, yes the suspension setup is significantly better than the stock LGTs, but for my needs and the kind of ride quality i was used to, it still had too much body roll and on some of the rolling hills and curvy freeways in northern cal, the car seemed to float around too much like a boat and didn't feel firm and planted to the ground enough. After 2-3 days, i started feeling a little carsick from what i considered a 'rental car' feel and ride. After installing my swifts and new sway bars, i felt much better.

Again it depends on your frame of reference, if you've only driven cars in stock suspension trim, the spec B will do just fine, you may want to lower it just cosmetically to get rid of wheel gap, but if youre used to lowered stiffened suspension in your previous cars, you may want to do the same to this.

Ed

^ I perfer the rally heritage look and last night the Spec. made easy work of deep heavy wet snow that was reaching the underbody. I put a lot of freeway miles on so I don't want to arrive tired from the shaking and jarring a stiffer suspension would create.

But I hear you and best of luck with your mods. :)

Archived