LegacyGT.com

How much punishment can the Diffs take.

Something strange happened to me once when cutting cookies (yes, I call them that too). When I first had the LGT, I was in the parking lot, having a blast. Stalled it once. Started back up. Stalled it shortly after. Wouldn't start! Ahhhhhhhhhh!!! Just cranked. After 2-3 attempts, it started. Odd, huh? Been 100% after that...even after today. Woman was so scared she was just like "lets go back lets go back" over and over.

I guess it's different from the passenger seat!!!

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Does the power steering pump problem with sustained full lock mean that the pump is a weak point? The VW PAssat manual specifically warns against holding full lock for more than a few (20?) seconds at a time, so the problem seems not to be only on LGTs.

Should I expect power steering pump problems with the LGT?

From your description of winter driving you will be the rare subie off the road or potentially on its roof. Typically that area is reserved for SUV's & pickup trucks around here.

but he's young and knows better than all of us.

From your description of winter driving you will be the rare subie off the road or potentially on its roof. Typically that area is reserved for SUV's & pickup trucks around here.

No, i never take my Subaru for serious off-road. We are just talking about roads with snow on them lol.

I love my car ... basically.

55 to 65 on snow covered roads is way to fast.

but, at least you slow down for the turns. :lol::wub:

They car felt pretty stable but got a little squishy soo i back it off when going into corners. It showed me the limitations of the RE 92's of anything.

Does the power steering pump problem with sustained full lock mean that the pump is a weak point? The VW PAssat manual specifically warns against holding full lock for more than a few (20?) seconds at a time, so the problem seems not to be only on LGTs.

Should I expect power steering pump problems with the LGT?

This is a bad idea with any vehicle, not just Subes and VeeDubs. When you turn the wheel completely over against the stop and hold pressure against it, the pump will be operating with little flow, but at full output pressure. The excess pressure will be relieved through the bypass valve directly back into the fluid tank. This will heat the fluid very quickly and if allowed to continue could ruin the pump as well as stressing the hoses, suspension components, etc. Just back the steering wheel off an inch or so from full lock (or just don't hold pressure on it at full lock) and it shouldn't be a problem.

I happen to know someone that had a WRX that was doing some seriously mean donuts... the centrifical force from the donut pushed all the oil to one side of the pan... and starved the pick-up.

You can guess what happens next.

Yes. He bought a new engine. He tried to get it warrantied, one look from a dealer and they laughed. Basically told him to go p1ss up a rope - they won't warranty an engine b/c the driver starved it of oil whippin' donuts.

Expensive lesson learned.

I don't know if the oil pan in the LGT has baffles to prevent this or not... but just be aware it can happen and keep an eye on oil pressure, your wallet will thank you.

I happen to know someone that had a WRX that was doing some seriously mean donuts... the centrifical force from the donut pushed all the oil to one side of the pan... and starved the pick-up.

You can guess what happens next.

Yes. He bought a new engine. He tried to get it warrantied, one look from a dealer and they laughed. Basically told him to go p1ss up a rope - they won't warranty an engine b/c the driver starved it of oil whippin' donuts.

Expensive lesson learned.

I don't know if the oil pan in the LGT has baffles to prevent this or not... but just be aware it can happen and keep an eye on oil pressure, your wallet will thank you.

Yaa wannna do that kond of stuff, put in a dry sump!!!!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Yaa wannna do that kond of stuff, put in a dry sump!!!!

An oil accumulator will solve (some) oil starvation issues as well. :icon_wink

FWIW, the 2.5L blocks don't seem to have the same problems that the 2.0L (EJ205) motors have. In fact, another WRX spun a rod bearing at the exact same event (it was actually an ice race in Minnesota... member 'BlackGT' was there, he remembers the fateful night).

I'm also suspicious that the oil dipstick is incorrectly marked in the WRX's. Even though the owners manual calls for 5 quarts in the pan, as little as 4 quarts will put the level right at the top of the full mark on the dipstick. This is where I ran it when I spund my rod bearing. Since then, I've "re-marked" my dipstick to indicate where 5 quarts in the pan sit.

For the record, some of the earlier Dodge Omni GLH's had this exact same problem. Ya see, the GLH used a more shallow oil pan for extra ground clearance. However, Chrysler used the same old off the shelf Omni dipstick. This gave the owner a reading the was TWO QUARTS more than what was actually in the pan. This problem was first uncovered when a Chrysler powertrain engineer starved his engine durnig a hard turn at an autocross / track day.

I used to work for the company that (way back then) made the oil pump for those motors. Chrysler tried to write off the problem as "oil pump failure" but further investigation showed it was an improper dipstick. :lol:

Hey theres a good article about all the different differentials that are in Subaru's in the latest Subiesport.. Just talks about which ones are in which Subarus and how they work...

I just read that today, it was pretty cool.

FWIW, the 2.5L blocks don't seem to have the same problems that the 2.0L (EJ205) motors have. In fact, another WRX spun a rod bearing at the exact same event (it was actually an ice race in Minnesota... member 'BlackGT' was there, he remembers the fateful night).

Isn't the 2.5L block a lot newer?

Archived