LegacyGT.com

How much punishment can the Diffs take.

I have an 05 legacy GT 5 mt. for those of you who don't know. We finally got a some nice snow in nebraska that i could have some decent fun in :).

I decided to take the car out to a parking lot for some fresh powder snow cookies. :). I got the slight tint of burning oil (figured its the diff) maybe and i figured i should quit; the roads are fun anyway as i can get the car to kick out on a turn and such. My question is, realistically, can the diffs be put under this type of pressure and have long term survivability? Am i doing anything that would hurt them. I see Subaru's all the time doing s**t like this but i want to put unnecessary pressure on the car.

On a side note ... SUBARU FTW!!! It doesn't matter how high the snowbank is, even with the 92's underfoot you just plow right through like it isn't there lol.

I just love passing SUV's on the interstate, and some took special notice to the altima that was having trouble. I was basically able to sustain 55 to 65 mph is heavy snow with a slightly snow caped road. I slow down to about 45 for the corners because i don't trust the lateral grip of the 92's quite frankly.

I cant wait to see what kind of snow fighting this machine turns into once i get rid of the "bunny killers" (i don't really believe that, but i will def. be getting a better tire when the time comes).

Pics to come.

EDIT - you BMW owners who think your hot s**t? You ain't got crap on me, i would like to see your little "german engineered" cars do the stuff my car can do with EASE!!. SUBARU FTMFW!!!!!!

I love my car ... basically.

I think we have weak power steering pumps....get overheated playing in the snow at low speeds and tonz of fast turning.

Otherwise, have fun and be safe. I'm jealous!

Little tap on the brakes will put more weight on the front to pivot, instead of sliding??

the LGT power oversteers quite well in the snow...

Oh i notice that!!! I love that little feature, when not driving crazy i just have to watch in a turn lol. Stay out of boost.

Well if ya'll are saying i should be ok then i will go for it. I just finally got some good snow (powder) that is great for cookies and such.

I live in Jamaica so don't know the 1st thing about snow/icy driving. Is it safe to drive at 40-50 mph in snow/ice conditions?? I would imagine that it is difficult to stop in case of unexpected behaviour by other drivers or other obstacles. In such situations I figure there is no assistance from Subaru AWD - just tyres, ABS & prayers!

The often loud "thump" on the floor is the rear diff support smacking the floor on a hard shift. A whiteline kit bolts the diff support to the car, and has stiffer bushings to replace the floppy rubber bushings in the front mounting points for the diff support. That eliminated the sound and provides a different feel in the rear.

WRXs do the same thing. No harm. I believe the drivetrain slack/flop is good, and keeps other parts from braking? Kinda like too strong of a clutch is bad.

The whole diff can move a little....when you do a hard shift, the whole deal rotates on a horizontal axis untill the frontward extending arms smack against the floor. rubber mounted stuff.

mm cookies?? what kind?

I need something to stop the wheel hop on my car when at the dragstrip.. something is causing something to bang against something but I dont know what it is. One guy told me it might be my tranny hitting against something cause of the crappy tranny mount. But I dont know.. I just know I need to find out what it is and try to prevent it from happening. When I drop the clutch it like goes.. thud-thud-thud really quick then my tires just hook up and away i go.. Thats why I wanted to get an STI.. There built much tougher..

Seems to me that turning to full lock and keeping torque on the steering wheel means stalling the PS pump, which just can't be good. Hitting full lock and then backing off just a hair would probably be safe.

I usually don't do a full lock, i like to throw the car out with the steering a bit (no where near full lock) and some gas to throw the back end around then just use the engine and back wheels to drift or do some ... well i call them cookies anyway, most people call them donuts.

With fresh snow you dont really need much of steering to get the car around, the engine can do that for you. Once it hardens a bit that is a different story. (i hate that stuff anyway).

I just smelled a VERY light smell of burning oil and i figured i should just back off. It could have been some exhaust fumes, IDK. I did have outside air on.

Archived