LegacyGT.com

Painting calipers?

Whirling Dervish

Okay, so I installed my new rims last weekend and it's killing me to see the stock calipers. I did a search, but couldn't find anyone going through their procedures for painting the calipers other than putting on 2-3 coats of primer.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what paint I should be using? Should I just use a brake cleaner to prep? A couple of people have mentioned Tirerack's kit, anything else easier/better? I also was hoping to avoid removing the calipers and lines in order to paint...Will just masking off be sufficient?

Thanks for the help...

just go to autozone/pepboys & buy the $25 caliper painting kit & some brushes. Then you got everything you'll need
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

With the G2 system, you don't have to remove the calipers or even mask if you can paint well with a brush. Here are pics with black G2 system painted with silver letters on top...

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/Rotors/iONFrontInstalled1.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/Rotors/iONFrontInstalled3.jpg

:spin:

I used the G2 paint a couple of times too. It's a two part ceramic paint; you mix it before hand (paint + hardener). The advice I got before hand is that if you're using a 2 part paint, get 4 plastic cups and mix the paint in each one as you do each wheel as the paint+hardner will start to gum up in 30-45 minutes. You'll also have probably half a can left over after you do all 4 calipers too, so it's good to only use as much as you need.

Other than that, use a wire brush and the included scouring pad to get as much rust of your calipers as possible. Use the included brake cleaner to blast everything - you may want to buy a 2nd can just in case. Try to get it down to bare metal as much as possible.

After that, mask whatever you need, like the pads, rotors, those little plastic boots in the caliper, and the brake line, and start painting. Instructions say to not mount the wheel before 24hours of painting, but just wait a couple of hours, then CAREFULLY mount the wheel making sure you don't touch any painted surface. DO NOT drive it for a day or so until the paint dries. It takes a while to dry, but it levels out nicely so it looks pretty nice; much nice and tougher than a spraypainted caliper IMO.

If you buy the one part Duplicolor paint (I think it's $16, I used that when I did my friend's RX8), just repeat the process, but forget the 4 cups part.

HPIM0295.JPG.2ae1419e2e012597fe6500611e4278df.JPG

Imag0192.jpg.c559751e5caa122c0e9fd4c0686b8d95.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
You're going to have to remove the calipers by removing the two bolts on each caliper and then disconnecting the lines. Make sure you use a brake flair wrench so you don't damage the line fitting. It's going to be messy and a pain. You'll have to re-bleed the brake system. I recommend using Duplicolor hi-temp paint for engine blocks. It's like $5 a can and you'll need one can and it looks good. It takes about an hour per wheel. (15 minutes for cleaning, 5 minutes to mask, 20 minutes for first coat to set, then 20 more for second coat to set up)

I was going to remove them to powder coat. The reason is because about 2 years ago I painted them red with duplicolor caliper paint kit and now they have chipped off and look like dog shit.

I figured I would powder coat them so they would last.

What do you guys think, Is it worth doing? Or should I just repaint them with the same method.

Also, what did I do wrong as the paint is chipping off like crazy?

Archived