LegacyGT.com

Got my Legacy back, for about 10 minutes.

So I let my friend drive my LGT around a snowy parking lot. He plowed into a curb at about 30 mph. The body shop seems to have done quality work regarding the appearance end of the repairs. The only problem is that there is a ticking sound that definitely sounds like something is wrong with one of the valves. This sound was present when my friend crashed the car, but I attributed it to the broken axle at the time. Well apparently that wasn't it. The guy at the body shop said that there was no apparent damage to the engine/valvecovers. He said he doesn't fix engines so I had to take it over to the local Suby dealer.

I'm so bummed. I've been having such a crappy day all long and I need to have the car for this weekend. I was so happy because I thought I was going to get my car back. Now it's gone again. I left my cellphone in the car to complicate things even more.

Damn. Are you close to a major service interval, like the 30k mi, for instance? How tight are you with your technician? Maybe if you talk it over with him and bring him six-pack he will give your car a little special attention.

g/l

So I let my friend drive my LGT around a snowy parking lot. He plowed into a curb at about 30 mph. The body shop seems to have done quality work regarding the appearance end of the repairs. The only problem is that there is a ticking sound that definitely sounds like something is wrong with one of the valves. This sound was present when my friend crashed the car, but I attributed it to the broken axle at the time. Well apparently that wasn't it. The guy at the body shop said that there was no apparent damage to the engine/valvecovers. He said he doesn't fix engines so I had to take it over to the local Suby dealer.

I'm so bummed. I've been having such a crappy day all long and I need to have the car for this weekend. I was so happy because I thought I was going to get my car back. Now it's gone again. I left my cellphone in the car to complicate things even more.

isn't this deja vu again? All you had to do was to NOT let friends drive your car.

Keefe

I think he was just recapping in case we forgot who he was or something like that....

Yeah I was recapping. I could have not let my friend drive and that would have solved the problem. Hindsight is 20/20. I think he and I both learned from this experience. But like it or not, I'm going to have to let friends drive my Legacy around in the near future unless I pay for towing of my RX-7. I'll just avoid letting someone drive the Legacy in less than ideal conditions.

ah yes i let my frind drive my imprza home because i was a little tipsy after the bar... it was raining and he was amazed by the AWD. So i let him push it a bit. Took a coner too fast... over steer then he coutered it way too much because he didn't know how... then she snaped out and hoped a curb sideways.... =(

almost one summer withour my car... I know i could have recoved if i was driving.

This is the _ _ _ th "So, I let my friend ______ my LGT last night and...:( thread I've read. Can't someone just "sticky" a "DON'T EVER LET YOUR FRIENDS DRIVE YOUR GT" thread on the opening page? These are sad stories and bring tears to my eyes for more than one reason. 1) The LGT is injured, maimed or brutalized in some way. and 2) The person posting says something to the effect of, "well, I suppose I am partly to blame..." The kicker is you never read the "beat down" part of the story where you express your anger to your "friend" for trashing your leggy!!:icon_mad:
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Update:

The dealer said it was something wedged under a suspension crossmember that runs under the engine which is rattling. Well it's either that or a cracked flex plate. I'm praying that it's the former.

last time i let a friend drive my car, he wanted to "try a launch". Well that landed my car on a flatbed heading back to the dealer. They drove it the next day and not only had he smoked the clutch so bad that the interior reeked for 2 weeks but also, he broke a driveshaft. Needles to say, i learned my lesson...

last time i let a friend drive my car, he wanted to "try a launch". Well that landed my car on a flatbed heading back to the dealer. They drove it the next day and not only had he smoked the clutch so bad that the interior reeked for 2 weeks but also, he broke a driveshaft. Needles to say, i learned my lesson...

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/lol7/TN_1161447308267.JPG

Did he help pay for it?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Damn! When I let my friends drive my LGT at the autox, they all had at least a year's experience of doing it and I gave them strict instructions that they should launch at no more than 2000 rpm.

Ok, I got my Legacy back again. The issue was a small cover plate under the transmission that got bent and the flex plate was hitting it. Supposedly no damage to the flex plate. The dealer put the cover on order and I have the car until I have to take it back in to get the new one fitted.

It appears my 6 disc CD changer is now broken. I started cycling through my CDs to figure out which ones I left in there and it was on CD 3. I switched to CD 4 and it started playing fine. But when I switched to CD 5, it went blank and then back to radio. I tried pressing the CD button again and it did nothing. I tried pressing eject, and the 5 blinked a few times but did not eject. When I turned of the car and turned it back on I was able to access CD 5 but it did not even start to play and once again the eject didn't work. Ugh.

was your car cold when you tried to eject the cd?

Yes. How would that effect it?

Another update. The insurance inspector identified a few things on my car that weren't fixed properly from when my car got into its first accident. The insurance company made me take it back to the body shop that did the original work instead of allowing me to get it fixed at a different body shop. I got the car back today and I can't see anything different. The stuff they were supposed to fix was cosmetic stuff under the hood, thankfully it's not critical to the car's operation, nor can it be seen from the outside.

So naturally this means I have to take it back to the bodyshop in PA, get all that stuff fixed, get the car take, take it back to the dealer, get the coverplate put back on, and hopefully get my CD player fixed as well. Thankfully none of this is done at my expense, but it's very inconvenient.

Archived