LegacyGT.com

2006 IS 300 245hp V-6 AWD

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can pretty much guarantee the following about the IS: 1. It won't be as fast as the Legacy 2. The AWD system won't be as good 3. It will be a lot more expensive (i.e. you won't be able to get a "non limited" model for $25k) -Nick

Sounds cool, I would like Lexus to creat a little more performance in their line. Would like to see an actual article and pictures though.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

This will sell like crazy in the areas where people get snow- you get AWD with Lexus reliability and service. All the pissed off Audi folk will be moving to this. Lexus is doing the right thing- they're offering AWD. Their GS replacement will come with AWD. This is going to hurt Audi more than anybody else. Fully loaded, the 2.5GT is around $30K right? An IS300 is $34,500 + $2,000 (based on the price difference of the FWD/AWD RX330) = $36,500 with the same options. For an Audi A4 3.0L quattro similarily speced, it would cost $39,000. For me, it doesn't kill off my desire to own a Subaru, but it definetly muddies it. I've always liked the IS300, but never took it seriously because of the RWD.

RWD is probably the best characteristic of the IS. It just sucks in snow. AWD is better. Now If they Put the 2JZ-GTE in there there aint NO WAY Im staying away. Prospects of a non force induced 245 hp V6 dosent tickle my panites... Especially when it is in my belief inferior to the 2JZ-GE engine that is already in there. Where a donor turbo motor can be easily swapped :) Once you boost there aint no turning back... As it stands now any future automobile prospects require a turbo.

Dun forget the current IS200 is very noisy and rough on ride, unlike the normal Lexus. Unless they make a huge improvement in this area (which will probably cost more and add more weight), the LGT will still have an edge apart from power and AWD.

[quote name='jim1969']Title says it all. Next fall this will compete against our Legacy, BMW 330xi, redesigned A4 and Volvo S40. I love my GT but an AWD IS 300 would be really nice looking inside and out.[/QUOTE] Where did you read 245hp? Report I read on the next IS was it was IS330 or IS350 something like that, 280-300hp V6 RWD or AWD option.

Today's NY paper. They were talking about upcoming models. The IS 300 will have two engine options. Both V-6. The one I mentioned above was a 3 litre. It'll probably be priced between the Legacy GT limited and 330xi. Wanna bet it'll have telescopic steering wheel, memory seats, stability control, HIDs as an option, navigation as an option? Subaru needs to add some options. Lexus will have the superb Toyota reliabiliy. That's gonna take sales away from Subaru.

[quote name='gurpman']I wonder if it will come in a wagon. You know, the sport cross version or whatever it is they call it. I had heard the wagon sales were very poor in the US and it would likely be discontinued.[/QUOTE] I don't think I have ever seen a sportcross IS300 on the road. Only sedans. lol

I have honestly seen maybe 5 in my entire life on the road. By comparison I have probably seen about 25 Ferraris in the same time, and there are 4 in my town alone.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[quote name='gurpman']I wonder if it will come in a wagon. You know, the sport cross version or whatever it is they call it. I had heard the wagon sales were very poor in the US and it would likely be discontinued.[/QUOTE] That SportsCross thing was seriously ugly, IMHO. No wonder it didn't sell well. I saw a few of them here and there, and every time I saw one I wanted to go rent a car just to ram it, and get it off the road. No ugly wagons! :D Kevin

I for one thinks the SportCross is pretty. Heck I'd buy it over the sedan version. NEways, just because it has AWD doesn't mean the design is as good as Subaru's AWD. Afterall, Subaru has been spending decades perfecting it's AWD system and it's not just the case of stuffing a centre diff and AWD sticker and voila! AWD car! I still hold true that the Legacy like all Subaru car's AWD system is superior in terms of balance. It is getting annoying that virtually all car mfgs are jumping onto the AWD bandwagon. ergghhh....

One of the important things is that customer service (at least in my area) is going to suck post-sale. Sorry the cars are great (having come from buying 8 toyotas/lexus before Subs) and I hated taking the car in for anything. And the service manager was a friend of mine.

Ok guys...heres the scoop....i have been on an IS board for about 2 years now researching them untill the legacy came out :D . Well..have any of you ever been in an IS? They are heavy. Thus, this makes them slow. Current IS: 0-60 in 7.1 and the 1320 in over 15 seconds. Now the new one will feature 2 V6 engines. The first will be either a 300 or 330 with 245 hp and AWD. The other model is supposed to be a 350 with 260 hp or so and RWD. I would say that us Legacy guys have nothing to worry about even with the RWD model. Remember..even though things are slowly changing....Lexus is not a performance brand. Btw....jim1969...almost everything on your list is standard on the current car. The only options are navi, memory seats, full leather, spoiler, etc. but those first few all come in one package. Something the legacy should have come with were HID's

Guest JessterCPA
I remember when the IS first came out, it looked like a 3-series killer. The actual results failed to ratify that claim. Don't get me wrong, I love the IS. But the back seat is real small, and that engine just doesn't seem to be as powerful as it should. If Lexus were to come out with a serious upgrade to the IS, it poses no real competition to the Legacy, it just isn't in the same market. I would guess that Lexus is looking at 330xi and G35x as it's main targets.

Exactly.....You would think that Toyota would put at least 260 hp in the next IS b/c everyone of its competitors is pushing at least that much. But no, they give you 245. Then you have to spend like another $1,000 just to get to everyone elses level.

• 4 months later...
Pictures! From Geneva Auto Show. [img]http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/9223_image.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.detnews.com/pix/autoshows/05geneva/Lexus-IS.jpg[/img] Details: [url=http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=8202]The Car Connection[/url] [url=http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0503/01/autos-104499.htm]Detroit News[/url]

[quote name='RobY'] As it stands now any future automobile prospects require a turbo.[/QUOTE] :DHehehe I feel the same way. Dad had an 86 Maserati Biturbo Si, that thing was a twin-turbo 6, slower than the LGT but when turbo hit it was like a knee in the face, when I was taken out for the first time at age 11, the boost nailed me to my seat and the smile grew from ear to ear. Later got a Turbo RX-7, when it came time to replace it I couldnt bear to go slower and a turbo only felt natural enter LGT....gotta love it. Back to topic...I like the styling of the current IS/Altezza but wish that we had gotten the hi-po japanese versions because the looks were there just not enough beef. There was a one off v8 version that foose or someone made, widebody, two-tonw and 400+hp it was sick. I dunno what the new one will weigh but although im sure the 245hp will be pretty good, I bet it still wont be fast enough, well see.... -just saw the pics, damn it looks good!

Archived