LegacyGT.com

Saturn Ion Redline

Someone I know from work just purchased a brand-new Saturn Ion Redline. He came by to show it off, and let me sit in it and go through the gears. The dash is so weird, all the gauges are in the middle! The little GM 4-cylinder is practically covered up from the front by the supercharger. And the car is so light. This might be a good race for the Legacy. After he's broken in, I'm sure we will test this question in detail, hehe. I'm predicting the Legacy will out-perform the Ion on the highway, but 0-60 it will probably depend on who gets a better launch. I saw a comparo test between the Ion and the SRT-4 in a car magazine about a month ago. The SRT-4 won, but the Ion ran mid 14s... not bad performance for $17,000.

[quote name='agctr']Im not sure we get them downunder........... but with a name like that, it sounds WAK. Adam.[/QUOTE] Adam, the closest thing you could probably compare it to is the Astra Turbo, simular car (both Opal based I believe) and simular power outputs, weight etc. A Manual Saturn may give an auto Legacy a run, but manual legacy, I dont think you'd have to worry.

Just looked at his Ion again today. The car has the exact size tires as my Legacy. Only they are Dunlop SP Sport 9000s (215/45/ZR17) They have a mean looking tread on them, who can tell me more about these? Are they better than our RE92s everybody dogs on? The Ion also has rear suicide doors, and nifty black/blue Recaro seats. The car kinda strikes me as a baby RX-8 or something. He has already started the smack talk too, and its only a matter of time before I'm going to have to line up with this thing.

Please don't race or do anything to coax him into flooring that thing. Saturn drivers already drive like the craziest people I know flooring it all over, all we need is these Redline division cars all over.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[color=black][size=2][color=black]heh...it is not all the car in a race like this: what happens when he is caught ogling at some girls...i am just saying there is always a chance but mostly, I just want to know what he will be putting up, don’t you want to know?[/color] [/size][/color]

[quote name='dv8ingvector'][color=black][size=2][color=black]heh...it is not all the car in a race like this: what happens when he is caught ogling at some girls...i am just saying there is always a chance but mostly, I just want to know what he will be putting up, don’t you want to know?[/color] [/size][/color][/QUOTE] oh yeah i wanna know. i havent seen any 1/4 times yet, so be careful and have fun romping him. :)

[quote name='Whitestar Pilot']Its definitely a cheaper car than our Subies, Drift Monkey. BUT... if I were just out of college and wanted a bargain street performer, I'd seriously consider this Redline over teh Neon... just because its not a Neon, hehe.[/QUOTE] Cheaper, maybe, but for it's price I could pick up a ncie used WRX... ;)

[quote name='dv8ingvector']yeah but does'nt the red line have a honda motor? i think i would go neon...it hurt saying that[/QUOTE] The only Saturn with a Honda motor is the VUE V6 (Redline or otherwise). It's got the 3.5L from the Pilot (sweet engine). The ION Redline uses the 2.0L Ecotec engine from the Saab 93, with a supercharger slapped on instead of a turbo.

Archived