LegacyGT.com

Slight problem installing Hawk HPS brake pads

kamikazeridah

I received my Hawk HPS pads this week and took the time today to install them. I started off with the front brakes but I ran into a problem when it came time to put in the new pads. I can't seem to fit the caliper over the pads. I read here in some thread that they were alittle thick and people just discarded the stock shims to make it fit. Even without the shims on I couldn't get the caliper over the pads. Any ideas or tips? Thanks.

Oh and when I put the new pads on they wouldn't sit flush against the rotor. One end would lift up alittle. I can hold them down and they will be flush but if I let go it comes up alittle. Is that normal or am I making some mistake?

I'll try....

Grab a C clamp and make sure that the piston is defintely pushed all the way in, also make sure the dust boot is not buggered up and is neatly collapsed the way it was designed to do...check that and then your other issue should go away too, IMO.

FWIW: I have never had any new pad be too thick to the point of not fitting in their designed application...and I've done a few brake jobs in my lifetime.

Grab a C clamp and make sure that the piston is defintely pushed all the way in.

Ding ding ding ding. I can almost guarantee once the pistons are pushed back into the caliper, everything will fit together fine.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I installed Hawk Ceramic pads, did make sure the pistons were completely compressed using a C-clamp and still had clearance issues, as others have. Just be patient and, as a previous poster pointed out, make sure the boot doesn't roll up under the pad or get torn. Maybe some KY jelly?:)

Thanks for the help. I just searched and came about the idea of using a C clamp. I'll go run out for one tonight and try again tomorrow.

I had the same problem installing the Cobb pads.

If you still have the same problem after putting the pistons all the way back into their bore (as I did), run without the shims. That's what it took to get the caliper back over the pads.

It'll be fine. If it starts to make noise, by then you have used some of the pad material. You can put the shims back on.

Good luck :D

I never had a problem putting the caliper on with new pads. i just put new pads on my car last weekend and i got the pads and both pad shim layers on as well. But then again, i have a special caliper piston compressor ;) (basically a fancy c-clamp)

BPS243_Medium_1.jpg

In the HSPN video for brembo brake pad replacement, the mechanic pushes the piston in with his thumbs. Leverage? I must be doing something wrong because there's no way my thumbs are that strong. I always use a C-clamp, but on multi piston housings like the brembos, you can't use a C-clamp.

c-clamp? you could also try pushing the pistons back in with your thumbs.

I'm afraid to ask how your thumbs got that strong (thumb pushups perhaps?) but I had to use a C-clamp:)

+1 :)

The C clamp worked like a charm. Everything went smoothly except I couldn't fit the shims in the front. Other than that the most troublesome part became just jacking up the car and removing the wheels. Thanks for the help again guys. :)

Archived