LegacyGT.com

BMW M5 Touring Wagon

If I won the lottery, I would still not buy a BMW. Fragile, poor long term quality. And tooooo BIG!!!!! The best buy today is still an LGT wagon. I would trade my 05 if they made a MT. But I would part with it only if the new model was better in terms of mechanical craftsmanship.:wub:
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Yeah, the rumors were true.

I think it will come to the US, given the MB sells E63 AMG wagon here.

Please.......please ....please bring it:):)

How did I know that I'd find you two in this thread?

:wub:

I made this thread thinking specially of unclemat. :)

I would probably not own any BMW in the future, but the M series has always had a place in my heart ever since I drove a 1988 M5. :wub:

X

---

:wub:

My 05 wagon was a replacement for my 86 (yup 1986) El Camino. Great tow car, and all around country wagon. I gave away El Camino to a local car Restoration nut. The LGT wagon was just for pee around town stuff. I prefer it to my Minni Cooper S and love it compared to my Honda SI. El Camino's sold for up wards of 100k at the last Barret-Jackson auction. Can LGT's be far behind!!!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

If I won the lottery, I would still not buy a BMW. Fragile, poor long term quality. And tooooo BIG!!!!! The best buy today is still an LGT wagon. I would trade my 05 if they made a MT. But I would part with it only if the new model was better in terms of mechanical craftsmanship.:wub:

Too fragile compared to what the LGT?

Mine is a rattle trap, has had two injectors go to crap, has had to have one window replaced, and has had the spoiler mounted tail light pop out of it's mounting (which Subaru refused to fix accusing me of bumping it while closing the truck lid which I have not done). So I wake up every morning wondering what will fail to work or fall off of the car.

What part of a BMW is fragile in your experience? Having worked for BMW I observed the mechanical components of the cars to be pretty robust, and the bodies overall are much tighter stiffer and less likely to rattle.

^^^ Electrical switches are the achilles heel of BMW's.

X

Hmmm.... I never noticed any electrical switches that rendered a car inopperable. The windows might not work for a little while, but even electrical problems were few and far between in my experience with most of the cars (with the exception of the 2002 7 series).

So if electrical switches are the Achilles Heel of BMW's then I can say from experience that fuel injectors are the weakest link in a Subaru. At least an electrical switch doesn't makle the car run like crap or not run at all.

Hmmm.... I never noticed any electrical switches that rendered a car inopperable. The windows might not work for a little while, but even electrical problems were few and far between in my experience with most of the cars (with the exception of the 2002 7 series).

So if electrical switches are the Achilles Heel of BMW's then I can say from experience that fuel injectors are the weakest link in a Subaru. At least an electrical switch doesn't makle the car run like crap or not run at all.

If you have worked with BMW's, or anywhere their service department then you know how their customers love to complain about the electronics in their cars. To them a window not working makes the car inoperable.

I have seen many cars towed to the service department because of some weird electrical problem that in the end turned out to be a relay or in the high end a control module which was not cheap. all BMW's depend higly on their electronics, and they do not age well.

X

---

If you have worked with BMW's, or anywhere their service department then you know how their customers love to complain about the electronics in their cars. To them a window not working makes the car inoperable.

I have seen many cars towed to the service department because of some weird electrical problem that in the end turned out to be a relay or in the high end a control module which was not cheap. all BMW's depend higly on their electronics, and they do not age well.

X

I worked for a BMW dealership, and very seldom would a car be trailered in for an electronics problem that had rendered a car undirveable. It happend with about the same frequency as Toyota's being hauled in for the same issues (we also had a Toyota dealership where I worked).

Saying that BMW's depending on electronics makes them different, is foolish as all modern cars depend on their electronics for control of the vehicle. Vehicle electronics in general do not age well, I don't care who made the car. Also electronic control devices be they relays, or control units are not cheap for any brand that I have been around.

I will mention that on average we would see more old BMW's in for service than we would see older Toyotas, but by and large the two cars of similar age would have the same types of problems. The real difference lay in the fact that in the perception of the customer the BMW was still worth fixing, and therefore brought in to us vs the older Toyota vehicles which often times would not be repaired at all.

The real difference lay in the fact that in the perception of the customer the BMW was still worth fixing, and therefore brought in to us vs the older Toyota vehicles which often times would not be repaired at all.

good point.

Archived