LegacyGT.com

STi Front Lip Installation (w/pics)

Seriously Legacy05GT, you look the man. Thanks so much for the install pics, looks pretty straight forward, few bolts, screws and everything you line up perfectly after you adjust slightly. Would have been alot better for you if it was just plug and play. Just watch the gutters and driveways, looks like a bit more crab crawling for you. Thanks again Adam.

The end result looks quite nice. Enjoy it. But is it just me? $500.00 for a simple lip spoiler ? and $50-$100 shipping? oh and it does not really fit.Most holes and bolts dont line up! You can also get a simple lip spoiler for the trunk for about $600 . Am I alone in my thinking or are these prices outragous. AND it does not really fit. The prices for the STI parts Ive seen so far are insane for what you get. At least the should fit like a glove. How much for some wire mesh for the grill $500 $600 (more)Comments.

yeah, i agree with you. I mean, if your gonna put that much money on there it should fit perfectly. But... I really really liked the way it looked and i'm absolutly pleased with the outcome. I also feel pretty confident that i'm probably the only person on the east coast(not counting Puerto Rico, stryker) with a Lip spoilered Legacy. From the get go, i felt the front end of the Legacy looked a bit weak compared to the rest of the body and the lip really gives it a good line.

Dont get me wrong. I think it does look far nicer. Its a mod I would like to do to my lgt. I had aero items on my eairler cars and it really set it off nicely. My problem is the prices seem super high for these parts. Come on this lip spoiler is not that extensive a part if it went for $200 it would be high. At the minimum a part made specifically for our cars should be a perfect fit for these prices. But it does look sweet!! Nice to have the only one on the block( or maybe coast)

Problem is, this lip isn't made for our cars, its made for the Japanese Legacy GT. Our bumper is 2 inches longer then theirs, so of course holes won't line up. As for prices, well thats just normal STI pricing I think, they allways have really expensive parts.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Fine, and i was suprised because we had some pretty serious snowfalls in CT and i ramed my way through a few mid-road snow banks(excess from plows taking corners) and the lip hend strong. When you think about it, it almost makes sense for protection... i.e. which would be more costly to replace should i take a dammaging blow to the front end from a large rock or something of the sort... the lip or the front bumper..? unless ofcourse you're lookin for an excuse to get a JDM front bumper..

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Thanks Keefe. Reason I asked is I have a V1 STi CF front lip coming (former purchase) and was wondering if it would fit the Legacy front. Guess I'll find out. L is only a bit less than 1/2" wider, so if the curvature is close, I might be able to make it work. Sorry for the kind of "off topic".

• 3 months later...
I tried the STI spoiler on as a "hold up" position and decided not to go for it and I'm glad I made the right decision. 3 times now I would have damaged it in 3 months. It's just that with everyday work travel, situations can spring up at any moment where you can get caught out and have this very expensive product wrecked. It only takes one small bit of inattentiveness and your dead. Rob

• 4 weeks later...
For the 4 holes that dont have a corresponding hole on the bumper. Did you drill 4 holes to match in the bumper or did you rely on the tape to hold the center part up?

Ok, check out the attachment. The bolts that are circled in RED matched up fine, no modification needed. The GREEN was just an area i cut away from the lip so that the push tab for the bumper could still be put in, this tab does not hold the lip on at all. The BLUE circled area was a hole that I eidened on the lip so it would match the hole on the bumper i just basically took drill bits and stepped them up a 1/8 until the hole got to the right size.

lipcircle.JPG.007a19e8a72b2d93a0441c7e4b390067.JPG

Why didnt i think to use a picture to help explain what i was asking. Mebbe i shouldnt try to ask these things @3am. 3am seems to be about the time i go retarded. Anyway back on topic. The holes i circled in red are the ones you drilled corresponding(sp?) holes for in the bumper right? I know you answered in the PM but im just adding this here incase someone else has the question.

lip.JPG.f6bc8762db86824b45ee7906e91593d9.JPG

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I recently purchased a JDM STI front lip spolier....I liked the quality and appearance but unfortunetly it didn't fit....as seen in the install there's a lot of modification required. i would recommend the replica version...i found mine at faxt wrx http://www.fastwrx.com/lechsp.html it fits perfect and no mods are requiered. it's actually via a company called Mach V Motorsports, they didn't supply any mounting hardware, but all you will need are some plastic fasteners found at your local automotive shop or if you're pickey you can get the orginal subaru ones from the dealer. it's fiberglass which can be easily painted or repaired too...plus it's cost about a third as the sti lip and looks exactly the same.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

i have a lip from Mach V Motorsports on the way to my house currently.... it doesnt come with mounting hardware? thats a downer, that will delay it's installation!

guess i will have something to do while the paint is drying.....

Archived