LegacyGT.com

Question about BFG G force KDW

AWDpower

I've had a set of these on my LGT for quite a while. But shortly after installing them, my car has had a real loud low frequency growl, that is worst at 40mph. I figure it's either the tires or a bad wheel bearing. I checked the wheel bearings and didn't find any play, but I haven't ruled them out since they are a common problem these cars. I'm getting ready to take the car in for other warranty work. Before I go, can anyone tell me if they have expirience with these tires, and if they are excessively noisy? I don't want them to dismiss the problem as the tires if it is a wheel bearing, or charge me for the time if it is in fact the tires. I hope it's not the tires, because otherwise they are the best all around tire I've used. I don't think there is a tire out there with less grip Vs. tread life compromise. I've got 30,000 miles on these, and they have plenty of tread left.

Thanks.

i had a set of these on my Evo... the tires are a little loud compared to other tires i use, but the grip is awesome... my only advise with these tires rotate them every oil change its a pain but that only way you'll get even wear....

another tire i use is the Yokohoma AVS100... awesome tire for the price, grip is good, just as loud as the KDW but the wear sucks ass.... the size i'm using is 255/40/17

hope this helps

The tires do pretty well in the rain. They are fairly progressive to the limit. They are definitely sensitive to temperature though. If it is warm and rainy they do way better than if it is cold and rainy. They are also louder when it is cold out. The compound is hard when it is cold out. They are definitely warm weather tires that do well in the rain. Even with the 245's I never had a problem with hydroplaning.

• 5 weeks later...
These tires aren't as loud as what I had expected after reading several different threads on various forums. I had a set installed a few weeks ago & love them. I've gotten adjusted to the noise, but we'll see what happens as they start to accumulate some wear.

2_11_07g.thumb.jpg.9be532bc170f68a32d68d9ebfe66b910.jpg

2_11_07n.thumb.jpg.17ae171daf7f6483377c1e0af3a023a8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
loud, loud and more loud. I know the car is a 4x4 but come on....the space between the knobs is where air catches and creates the noise you are hearing. had them on my WRX wagon until they broke loose and sent me into a pole. tighter tread=less noise.

• 2 months later...

Are these a summer tire or All Season? Costco.com has them for $128installed (stock tire size) with lifetime road hazard program.

tirerack says summer tire

Costco says all season

• 1 month later...

In case others search and read this thread...I have these as well. They have a bit more noise but aren't bad. The dry grip is excellent, their resistance to hydroplaning in the wet is excellent. Their only "ok" (vs excellent) performance is in wet lateral grip, in my opinion. I'd be a little careful when pushing these around a corner in the wet.

Like any tire/mod, once the tires are broken in a bit, it's good to go to an open parking lot or something, push the car when it's safe, and see what happens.

• 5 months later...
I have these tires and they are LOUD. They get worse with wear :(

But the do grip well :lol:

+1

BFG actually bought back the ones that I had on my WRX from the noise. It started after about 400 miles and got worse. They bought them back after 3k04k on them. It sounded like truck tires, even more so inside the car. gave me a headache. (mine were KDW2 tires)

The techs said it was so loud, they would have thought it was 2 or more of the wheel bearings gone bad making the noise.

They do stick incredibly well. If you are using it for a track tire, it would be great. I have a couple friends with them on their none subie cars and they dont make noise (or at least not near what mine did.

I ended up with michelin pilot sport tires and they were really nice. Also have had Dunlop sport maxx tires that were awesome.

okay, I was a c130 loadmaster so maybe my ears are shot ........ my wife certainly thinks so, but only when she's nagging .............

I've had 3 sets of these on 3 different vehicles and didn't think they were any louder than azenis 615's or re070's. have any of you with noise complaints run either of those 2 tires?

with all the noise complaints I see about them (and don't hear myself), maybe I'm actually deaf to a particular part of the noise they make ...........

okay, I was a c130 loadmaster so maybe my ears are shot ........ my wife certainly thinks so, but only when she's nagging .............

I've had 3 sets of these on 3 different vehicles and didn't think they were any louder than azenis 615's or re070's. have any of you with noise complaints run either of those 2 tires?

with all the noise complaints I see about them (and don't hear myself), maybe I'm actually deaf to a particular part of the noise they make ...........

When I bought my BBS rims they still had stock re070's on with <25% tread left. Those tires were not quite as loud as the set of KDW2's that I have now. I'm sure the laws of physics probably apply, but why do these KDW's make so much more noise in the 40-45 mph range?

I had the 615's and also thought that all 4 of my wheel bearings were going out lol. Since I switched to the 912's for winter the bearing like noise is all but gone. I had about 15-20k on the 615's and the month or so before I took them off, I had to keep making the radio louder b.c the tires are so loud now.

I had some KDW's back in like 02, they were the OG tread and they weren't as loud as teh 615's

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

Archived