LegacyGT.com

Kind of sad...

Guest Gitster
Is it? Why?

I'll give you that Subaru has been doing this AWD since the dawn of time and has learned a lot, but what makes the Subaru AWD system better than the Nissan/Infinity system? (Is there a Nissan branded AWD car out there yet?)

To the OP: Nice choice on the Infinity - it's a nice car, for sure.

-

Jim

Lets not forget that Nissan is not new by any means to AWD. The R34 is a hell of a machine, even though the AWD was made more for performance in the Skyline, and not necessarily inclement weather. Nissan has been involved with rally racing as Subaru has. The tradition may not be the same, but Nissan motors may be the best Japanese ever made, hence the award winning best V6 for what 10 years? You have to decide between two beautiful cars here, you will not be disappointed with either.

Well, the deed is done. we ordered an 07 infiniti G35x on Sat. The dealer gave us $13000 for the WRX and discounted the car @$2700. All things considered we were happy. It will be truly sad to no longer own a subaru...in fact one of the thigs I'll miss is illustrated well in this thread. Subaru owners show a good sense of comraderie...and are usually pretty nice. The vast majority of posts on this thread didn't bash the G, in fact a lot said it was quite nice...they are right. One thing for sure the Legacy GT is a smokin' performance bargain, and it was a tough decision....

D.

Any idea how it accomplishes that? If you've got a link or something, that would be great. I've seen a couple sites that say it's RWD biased (biased, not based), but none that explain exactly how it works (beyond hand-wavy use of the word "electromagnetic").

I finally found a decent explanation of how the system in my G works, actually sounds pretty cool.

ATTESA E-TS is featured in the north-south layout vehicles, such as the Nissan Skyline GT-R, utilises what is mostly a conventional RWD gearbox. Although the Skyline GT-R is exclusively AWD, ATTESA E-TS is also used in Nissan models that are also available as RWD such as the A31 Nissan Cefiro. Drive to the rear wheels is constant via a tailshaft and rear differential, however drive to the front wheels is more complex by utilising a transfer case at the rear of the gearbox. The drive for the front wheels comes from a gear which hangs off the right side of the transfercase. The front driveshaft runs along the right side of the transmission, to a differential located to the right of the engine's oilpan. The front right axle is shorter than the left, as the differential is closer to the right wheel. The front left axle runs through the engine's oilpan to the left wheel.

The ATTESA E-TS layout is more advanced than the ATTESA system, and uses a 16bit microprocessor that monitors the cars movements at 100 times per second to sense traction loss by measuring the speed of each wheel via the ABS sensors. A thress axis G-Sensor mounted underneath the centre console feed lateral and longtitudinal inputs into an ECU, this ECU controls both the ATTESA E-TS 4wd system and the ABS system. The ECU can then direct up to and including 50% of the power to the front wheels. When slip is detected on one of the rear wheels, the system directs torque to the front wheels which run a viscis LSD. Torque is apportioned using a clutch pack center differential, similar to the type employed in the Steyr-Daimler-Puch system in the Porsche 959. This series of clutch packs is contained within the 'transfer case,' which is mounted to the rear of the gearbox.

Rather than locking the AWD in all the time or having a system that is "all or nothing", the ATTESA E-TS system can apportion different ratios of torque to the front wheels as it sees fit. This provides the driver with an AWD vehicle that performs like a rear wheel drive vehicle in perfect conditions and can recover control when conditions aren't as perfect. The advantage to a more traditional ATTESA (Viscous LSD) system is response in hundredths of a second.

D.

too many posts...

did you already buy the G?

I would say the 06 spec b for 29 would be a good value..

I love the car and actually like it better than the 07.

Only problem is 07 has some slight changes I like...folding rear seats..aux input...etc etc....

but I like the color inside and out of the 06 spec vs 07 spec

Archived