LegacyGT.com

Radio Service Manual for 2005 thru 2006 Leagcy

drcaveman

After a quick glance I think the best way to get audio in would be through the navigation option. This audio should cut out any AM/FM source and play through. I am unsure if there is volume control but there should be. The main issue is trying to understand how to tell the unit it has audio comming from a navigation system and it needs to switch to that feed. It could be as simple as bringing a single pin to 5v volts or a complicated exchange of serial data. I am not sure yet. I will post I think I see a better solution.

Scratch that it appears as though there is no tone control on navigation audio

http://www.mcwiggin.com/subaru/BestRoute.png

I THINK I HAVE A SOLUTION!

Ok I think this is going to pretty easy actually! I looks like we can do this without and board mods at all! If we bring pin 2 on CN402 to 5.2 volts that should enable satellite signal according to the main CPU. Audio comes down pins 4 and 8 and I am not sure yet how the left and right channels are deciphered. From there I think the satellite selector button should probably work to select satellite as a source. The button does exist (its that blank spot on the input selector switch that goes 4 ways.) You can make it work by opening the stereo and removing the piece of plastic that prevents you from pushing the button. I haven't tested this yet.. but it should work!

I will post results as soon as I test it!

If someone gets a chance let me know what they think is going on with the left and right audio signals signals (C402 - C405 are 1uf caps)

http://www.mcwiggin.com/subaru/SatInput.png

Block Diagram showing the connections to CN402... As you can see there is more here than just the steering wheel controls.

http://www.mcwiggin.com/subaru/Block.png

McWiggin,

What if you jump pin 2 and 6 on CN402? I wonder if that would let the SAT light turn on when the SAT button is pressed.

I also noticed that it looks like pin 4 and 8 are either audio that would be mono or that connection could be from the satellite controls on the steering wheel.

Pin 2 and 6 may just need to be jumped. That may cause the light to come on. The audio is definitely stereo and there are board traces that run back to the audio pre amp in full stereo. I think that pin 6 may also serve as a common ground with 4 and 8 representing L + R audio. you can see the L + R division downstream from pins 4 and 8.

If anyone has a manual that shows the connections of the full Subaru wiring harness that would be really helpful. Because I think these pins are attached in the plug that goes into the back of the stereo and pins 4 and 8 are connected to red and white wires respectively that are braided together... which makes me think audio. I would love to know where these wires go.

Pin 2 and 6 may just need to be jumped. That may cause the light to come on. The audio is definitely stereo and there are board traces that run back to the audio pre amp in full stereo. I think that pin 6 may also serve as a common ground with 4 and 8 representing L + R audio. you can see the L + R division downstream from pins 4 and 8.

If anyone has a manual that shows the connections of the full Subaru wiring harness that would be really helpful. Because I think these pins are attached in the plug that goes into the back of the stereo and pins 4 and 8 are connected to red and white wires respectively that are braided together... which makes me think audio. I would love to know where these wires go.

I will check and see if I downloaded the audio wiring section from the Subaru Technical Site, I think I did I will look when I go home and post the pics if I did.

Attached is the Audio wiring diagram for the 2005 Legacy. In that diagram, connector i85 corresponds to CN402, but the pins are numbered backwards. So,

i85 #1 = CN402 #4 (SIGNAL +)

i85 #2 = CN402 #3 (TEL ON)

i85 #3 = CN402 #2 (SATEL SW +)

i85 #4 = CN402 #1 (WOOFER +)

i85 #5 = CN402 #8 (SIGNAL -)

i85 #6 = CN402 #7 (WOOFER -)

i85 #7 = CN402 #6 (SATEL SW -)

i85 #8 = CN402 #5 (N.C)

The two SATEL SW pins connect to the remote (i.e. "satellite") audio controls on the steering wheel. The two WOOFER pins connect to the "Super Woofer" in the station wagon cargo area. And the N.C pin is connected for some reason to the Body Integrated Unit.

I suspect the remaining three unused pins (TEL ON, SIGNAL +, SIGNAL -) were designed to support a handsfree phone kit or ONSTAR. I suspect that applying a voltage or ground to the TEL ON pin would cause the headunit mute whatever it was playing and put the audio from SIGNAL +/- on the speakers. If you're content with mono sound, that'll get you AUX IN.

32 - Audio System.pdf

BTW, the headunit is looking at resistance between the SATEL SW + and - pins in order to determine which steering wheel audio button is being pressed. The resistances and their meanings are described in this post:

22R = MUTE

90R = Vol up

200R = Vol down

360R = Mode

690R = Seek up

1500R = Seek down

4700R = (all buttons up.)

If there was one more command, I'd expect it to be 3000R.

It would be interesting to connect a 3K ohm resistor between CN402 pin #2 (SATEL SW +) and pin #6 (SATEL SW -) and see what, if anything, happens.

Drcaveman,

I just noticed that the front of my radio has P-201UH because it is a 2.5i limited and I got it back in July 2004. That should be the same as the P-203UH or is there a different manual for that one.

Drcaveman,

I just noticed that the front of my radio has P-201UH because it is a 2.5i limited and I got it back in July 2004. That should be the same as the P-203UH or is there a different manual for that one.

You will have to open it up and look at the model number and manufacturer that is on the label, does yours have auto climate control.

DrC

• 1 month later...
I have the full service manual for the 2005 2006 legacy GT models CQ-EF1560L

Thank you to mcwiggin for hosting these files.

The Links are:

www.mcwiggin.com/subaru/0505cqef1561l.pdf

www.mcwiggin.com/subaru/0505cqef1560l.pdf

Thanks for making these available! I've been needing this. Very interesting stuff.

It is looking like the only externally-accessible inputs to the 1560 are the Navigation and Onstar inputs, which are mono. :( Maybe a Jazzy board is the only way to go.

We have the 201 in the '05 and the 203 in the '06 and the difference seems only to be the CD-changer functions, both are hooked into climate control units but neither is mp3-capable. Sure would love an easy hack for an aux-in. When you folks figure this out, please post in general English. I'm pretty DIY and somewhat tech-versant, but not an EE. Thanks.

• 3 years later...

is anyone out there? i just bought an 06 XT limited outback with this head unit. trying to get the aux in done, a bit cleaner then jazzy (don't like the idea of playing a CD)

mcwiggin or anybody for that matter, it looks like you are onto something using cn402. they get routed in a very similar manner as the audio in for CD and radio. were you ever able to get that to work? did you verify the "fourth" button you mentioned selects that path?

thanks.

Archived