LegacyGT.com

New springs or not

Yebbey

I've had htechs on my car for some time now. I just bought some bilstein sruts and was planning on putting the htech's on those, but from what I've read recently, it will look...ugly(front higher than back).

My question is, what will lower the car to look like the htechs on stock struts and also be as cushy as the Htechs? Also, as cost effective as the Htechs. Thanks for any help.

There are people who run H-techs on Bilseins (search - I saw some pics). I don't think it looks ugly - maybe the gap is bigger in front, but if I am not mistaken, the drop in front is bigger on H-techs so it should look alright.

H-techs were designed for Bilteins anyway.

And you cannot go wrong with Pinks, especially wagon ones for even look on sedan.

thanks unclemat. I saw a couple of hte complaints about Htechs w/ the Bilsteins which is what got me worried in the first place. I think there was a pic too. Yeah, I'll be looking for some used pinks....cost is more than I'm willing to pay right now.

There are people who run H-techs on Bilseins (search - I saw some pics). I don't think it looks ugly - maybe the gap is bigger in front, but if I am not mistaken, the drop in front is bigger on H-techs so it should look alright.

H-techs were designed for Bilteins anyway.

And you cannot go wrong with Pinks, especially wagon ones for even look on sedan.

Have to disagree, my H-techs do sit much higher in the front than the rear. The rear has maybe a finger between the tire and the lip, the front is probably three fingers, big difference. I am actually considering switching springs to get a more level (sporty) appearance. Just my .02, trade for some bilstien specific springs so that is sits right.

H-techs are Bilstein specific. Your car probably sits level, it's just does not look like.

The car may indeed sit level, but visually, and in my opinion, the wheel to fender gap is more important. I want equal gappage, if the front has to sit lower for this to happen, so be it.

The car may indeed sit level, but visually, and in my opinion, the wheel to fender gap is more important. I want equal gappage, if the front has to sit lower for this to happen, so be it.

Yeah. You need to mix and match springs. Your best bet are MT wagon Pinks.

MT - most drop in front (5MT is lightest, note SpecB Pinks are for 6MT and will drop less, because 6MT is much heavier than 5MT)

wagon - least drop in back

Your other option is to do the double spring perch trick in the rear to bring that end up - I'm very happy with the results for that with my iON's. Cheap + Effective. Unless, of course, you want to lower the front to match the rear. The Swifts are the only springs that I've seen that have the 'right' rake, front to rear, on the stock struts - but those were a little more stiff and a little more drop than I wanted.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Don't really want pinks, I woud think there have to be springs out there to accomodate the bilstiens since the JDM hats on all the shocks are like the bilsteins. Nobody makes JDM hat specific springs?

Don't really want pinks, I woud think there have to be springs out there to accomodate the bilstiens since the JDM hats on all the shocks are like the bilsteins. Nobody makes JDM hat specific springs?

Pinks are BILSTEIN specific and JDM TOP HATS specific.

I have just heard too many people who did not like the way the pinks rode, also I have seen that the pinks barely drop the car, I want something that has a reasonably low drop for that 'just right' look but where the @ss does not drag. The H-techs were cheap, and I have considered cutting a 1/4 coil from the fronts so that it sits right, I just don't know what that might do to ride quality.

Depends, with a linear rate spring it is no big deal, with a progressive it can change thier entire behavior. I think if you cut a small amount (1/4) coil off of the 'big end' it would be less likely to cause issues, my guess is this would yield an extra 1/4-1/2" drop, but this is just an educated guess. Example, on a ford truck, cutting a full coil yeilds a 2" drop.

Do they make JDM-specific Swifts? I'm currently an iON guy, but I have some JDM struts coming my way and want about a 1-finger gap all around when it's all said and done. Wagon MT. Any suggestions?
now rocking the 2007 Mini Cooper S

Archived