LegacyGT.com

LED tail lights

3.0R-AUS

my guess is that he made them.

As for those while LEDs at frickinbrite.com - RUN, don't walk away from those.

If I can offer one bit of advice here - if you plan to do LEDs in the tails - for the love of Peter use RED LEDs, NOT WHITE!!!

But Why???

LEDs are [damn close] to being a 'pure spectrum' light source. Tail lights are a FILTER, they let the color through that they are designed to do so with. For example, RED tail lights filter out (most) of the rest of the spectrum being emitted from the incandescent bulbs, and allow the RED wavelength to pass through which makes the light appear RED to those viewing it.

OK so far, right?

WHITE LEDs are NOT white!!

WHAT?

The vast majority of "white" LEDs are actually BLUE LEDs doped with a phosphor compund to alter the output color to appear more "white". Here is the catch - without getting into the whole "why does it look white if it really isn't white?" thing, I will put this out there:

If a blue LED, or some other color LED besides RED is put behind a red lens, very, very little light will be pass through the red filter. So - if your light source is incapable of producing sufficient light in the red spectrum, then the lens/filter cannot pass sufficient light through and thus you have a VERY DANGEROUS situation to you and other motorists. If they can't see your tail/brake lights.... well... you can figure that out.

Don't beleive me? Try it for yourself. Buy a couple of "white LEDs" for cheap on flea-bay and put them behind a red lens. Do the same with the red LEDs. Which is brighter?

I think there is a mis-conception that if you put red LEDs behind a red lens that somehow it will be "dimmer" when in fact the opposite here is true. Maybe it has to do with when we were all kids and mixed paints together in school and saw "brown"... it was not until I played with a bunch of LEDs focused into a single point that I saw how when many single color light sources are combined they made a true "white" light. Light is a funny thing to mess around with. Actually what I mean is "light is FUN to mess around with".

Get a few sacks of LEDs, and some resistors. Get a decent soldering iron and learn the basics needed to make a nice LED array. Play away. You can make some very incredible things like that!

Good luck.

power_getter, Yes, we all are jellious of your customer hack LED tail light job you did. You should go into business like JazzyMT, I know that you would make a killing.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Has anybody replaced their Third Brake Light with LED and put them at the top edge of the window? I'm planning on doing that with the LED Array that power_getter used in his tail light. I may even add turn signals at the top edge too.

• 11 months later...
my guess is that he made them.

As for those while LEDs at frickinbrite.com - RUN, don't walk away from those.

If I can offer one bit of advice here - if you plan to do LEDs in the tails - for the love of Peter use RED LEDs, NOT WHITE!!!

But Why???

LEDs are [damn close] to being a 'pure spectrum' light source. Tail lights are a FILTER, they let the color through that they are designed to do so with. For example, RED tail lights filter out (most) of the rest of the spectrum being emitted from the incandescent bulbs, and allow the RED wavelength to pass through which makes the light appear RED to those viewing it.

OK so far, right?

WHITE LEDs are NOT white!!

WHAT?

The vast majority of "white" LEDs are actually BLUE LEDs doped with a phosphor compund to alter the output color to appear more "white". Here is the catch - without getting into the whole "why does it look white if it really isn't white?" thing, I will put this out there:

If a blue LED, or some other color LED besides RED is put behind a red lens, very, very little light will be pass through the red filter. So - if your light source is incapable of producing sufficient light in the red spectrum, then the lens/filter cannot pass sufficient light through and thus you have a VERY DANGEROUS situation to you and other motorists. If they can't see your tail/brake lights.... well... you can figure that out.

Don't beleive me? Try it for yourself. Buy a couple of "white LEDs" for cheap on flea-bay and put them behind a red lens. Do the same with the red LEDs. Which is brighter?

I think there is a mis-conception that if you put red LEDs behind a red lens that somehow it will be "dimmer" when in fact the opposite here is true. Maybe it has to do with when we were all kids and mixed paints together in school and saw "brown"... it was not until I played with a bunch of LEDs focused into a single point that I saw how when many single color light sources are combined they made a true "white" light. Light is a funny thing to mess around with. Actually what I mean is "light is FUN to mess around with".

Get a few sacks of LEDs, and some resistors. Get a decent soldering iron and learn the basics needed to make a nice LED array. Play away. You can make some very incredible things like that!

Good luck.

Very good info! :)

I have a question though, I'm trying to convert my rear turn signals to amber/orange. This idea might sound really stupid but in theory, it should work. Can I get some green 7440 bulbs (LED or regular) from ebay (such as these), pull out the OEM clear bulbs, put the green ones in and expect to get bright, amber turn signals? (green light + red filter = amber output?) :rolleyes:

Thanks!

No.

Green LEDs will not work - they are [generally speaking, within a few nm] 532 nm wavelength, which when passed through a RED filter (which attenuates sharply any light wavelength outside the curve with the Q set at 650 nm (typ is 630-680 nm for "red" light) . Which means IF you get any light out, it will be VERY attenuated, and likely a 'brownish' color (which is the extrememly few photons that are kicking out at a longer wavelength passing through a red filter) .

OK, so what to use for what you want? I'd try two things - amber LEDs and "Orange" LEDs. Both produce a spectrum that will pass through most red filters. The incident light WILL have a reddish tint, but will be brighter and more 'amber' than if used with red LEDs. I'd look for OEM LEDs if possible. The brightness is MUCH more than the EBay flavor of Cheap Chinese-made ricer-LED junk. OEM LEDs recovered from OEM lights that are disassembled (or somtimes you can find them on EB still in ESD tubes) and then soldered into some custom-cut PCBs made expressly for the LGT's tails would be sweet. Be a bit of work, especially if you do it right and make the PWM circuit to accompany it (to give the OEM 'shimmering' look, like the Caddys have) and modulate the output between running lights and braking lights.

Anyway... good luck! Would love to see pics when you are done.

Archived