LegacyGT.com

Is Subaru paint durable?

jaycee

I got a paint chip today with seemingly a light tap of the paint with the end of fuel filler hose. I was removing the handle from the tank after filling up and it lightly tapped the edge of the fuel door enclosure. It surprised me that the paint chipped so easily since there aren't really any sharp edges on the tip of the filler hose. Anyway, I'll have to go in search of some touch up paint but I'm still surprised that it chipped so easily.

Here's a pic of the biff (ouch) ...

chip1.JPG.e248b7caad213e320a769166bbed007c.JPG

Subaru paint is well known for how thin it is... Have a search on [url]www.imprezawrxsti.com[/url] or [url]www.nasioc.com[/url] for thin paint. I was hoping Subaru would of started painting better with the new Legacy, but it seems not.

why would you think that hitting ANY paint with something metal... that drips GASOLINE.... would be the best option for closing your fuel door ???? Yeah.. subie paint is thin, but that should be a no no for ANY car you value the look of

You're S.O.L.. I remember when I did that on the roof of my GTI with a spray wash gun. Pressure, pressure, pressure, then BAM! no pressure and I drove the gun into the roof. :( The other thing too is that depending on how old your car is, the paint may not be completely cured and set.

The US-made Legacy/OB seem to have better paint quality (as defined by thickness and resistance to chipping) than the Japan-made Forester/Imprezas. That's from my own experience of owning a 98 Forester and now an 05 Legacy GT. However, Japanese cars tend to have thinner paint in general. My wife's VW, as ratty as everything else is, seems to fare rock chips better. Ken

[quote name='RoundBoy']why would you think that hitting ANY paint with something metal... that drips GASOLINE.... would be the best option for closing your fuel door ???? [/QUOTE] :confused: Actually, I never thought of using someting metal to close the fuel door - interesting idea. Beyond the effect that might have on your paint job it wouldn't seem the best choice when dealing with flammable substances. If you do find someone who thinks that is a good idea you may want to steer clear or them at the gas station. But, given that something metal did contact the side of my car (not the fuel door) I have to deal with the result of the mishap.

Sorry to hear about yr mark. The Subaru paint like any car paint over time will start to decline is luster and shine. BUT if you keep it always washed and keep it out of the all weather condition extremes, you should be ok. My MY01 is in great condition. Seriously I have had ppl ask me if I have a protecter level of paint sprayed onto the car. Ahhh NO and have NEVER waxed my car. The car wash I use has wax in it but I dont actually buff the car at all. Adam.

I put a small shcatch on my trunk closing it with my key in my hand. its not bad but beleive me i will be putting lots ow wax on it to hepl prevent more scratches. i have one in black to so i know how much it sucks. I may be get it touched up wet sanded and more clearcoat put on in spring. btw can someone tell me how to start a new thread?

Since they wanted to keep the guys who shoot paint from dying of cancer, automotive paint has been made from a different formulation than in the "good old days." It's less durable, but the up side is that you can work with it without having to wear a hazmat suit. :lol: The Legacy's paint is fine, significantly nicer than the WRX's. There's nothing like washing, claying and waxing a WRX then a Legacy to hammer that home. Thicker, smoother, more metallic when the sun hits it, just nicer all the way 'round. Kevin

Archived