LegacyGT.com

Any worries about LGT with mods running hot in hot climates?

Hey Guys,

I am relocating from the Northeast to central FL. I am currently at stage2 with my LGT, and hopefully plan on upgrading more in the future.

My question is if there is anything I need to worry about as far as heat - I know the turbo throws off a ton of heat and in the summer here I see a lot of heat from the engine bay when I'm sitting in traffic. I've never had an issue, but it made me wonder.

Will this be a problem say in stop/go traffic in the southern states where its really hot? Any worries around this if I eventually upgrade the turbo etc? Is there anything I should look at doing to make sure my car is not stressing out the cooling system?

I see a ton of posts on upgrading turboes, brakes, suspension...but didn't see much for this. Apologies if its there and I missed it.

Heightsgtltd, I was going to do that (post in the FL section) but then figured I'd post it in the general section as this probably applies to any southern state. Probably a paranoid question more than anything else, just something that I was wondering about. I was down there in July and I thought I was going to die, never mind my car haha.

Thanks for the quick replies, I just wanted to mention it!

I think one thing that made me think about this was reading some magazine about their project STI (think it was "Turbo" magazine). They had upgraded the turbo and clutch in this issue and also put in a new radiator they said improved cooling by like 50%. This was after they ran track days in a really hot location.

I don't plan on doing track days, but it made me think about it and wonder if it was a concern. I don't see many posts here about upgrading the cooling system and just wanted to throw it out there.

Thanks again guys, as always quick and relavent responses.

Not sure where the folks from FL are located, when I finally make my move I'll check out the local members - I know I've seen some nice cars from members in the state. Right now my family is in Kissimmee while I'm selling the house in MA, but I'm looking at the Gainesville area as well. I'm sure there are other nice places to be, but Gainesville is where I most likely will end up in the short term anyhow.

If you are tracking your car... a cooling system upgrade might be needed. I can't speak to that. It would become apparent, though, when you raced the car if the needle kept climbing past the normal temperature reading.

At the dragstrip and autocross... I have never seen any type of overheating issues with the stock cooling system, however.

Archived